Lighting Challenge #3: Hairy Hare

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: If fur shading/shadowing is set for auto-shade (the fake tip to base darkening) instead of shadow maps, then that's the problem.

-jeremy

Thanks, here is the result with the correct setting. I just dont think this "Camera Flash" thing is working for me. I might try something else.

04 April 2006
I'm sure you can get shadows working if you do some more tests. Can you not get any fur to cast or receive shadows? What does the scene look like without fur, are your shadows perfect then?

-jeremy

04 April 2006
Second shot: The body fur is closer, while the face is a little bit of a disaster . I have to do a few box and sphere tests to get a handle on how the settings and how they tie into their maps.

Last edited by kary : 04 April 2006 at 05:18 AM.

04 April 2006
I knew there'd be tweaks needed when I apply fur to the rabbit, but so far I had to tinker with every setting I got for the fur ball A lot of settings either had to be scaled down or up, the styling also made huge changes to how the fur reacts to specular and shadows. Next time I'd be sure to do all the R&D on something that resembles the final target as closely as possible.
I also found out quickly enough that XSI + my PC doesn't make best friend for huge fur renders So I have decided to cluster of the body and work/render in parts (torso, head, limbs) XSI seems to handle multiple emitters better than larger surfaces and more hairs.

Anyways Iíve started working closer with a reference to set the general look I would like to go for. Here's a wip of where I am with the bunny now, still a lot of work to do but I really would like to have a finished look for him.

Ref: http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/53287471

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rabbit5.jpg (18.2 KB, 280 views)

04 April 2006
That fur is looking nice. Thee only crit is that it should become softer and fluffier on the underside.

04 April 2006
Nice works guys.
I just made a small update to test the Fur using Mental Ray. Basicly I'm after something like that:

Any suggestions are welcome.

04 April 2006
lazzhar,

I like where you are going with this. Looking at it, I think you should soften the whiskers a bit and you have a few errant bits of fur on the feet. I love where it's going though, stylistically.

Kev

04 April 2006
I think I got the shadows finally working.

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by kevb3d: lazzhar,

I like where you are going with this. Looking at it, I think you should soften the whiskers a bit and you have a few errant bits of fur on the feet. I love where it's going though, stylistically.

Kev

Hi Kev, thanks for the comments.
Well here is the latest:

900x486 version

I will post breakdown of layers and passes I used here.
Hope you like it.

Last edited by lazzhar : 04 April 2006 at 12:00 PM.

04 April 2006
Lazzhar -

That's really great! I like how you opened the scene up by adding the ocean in the background. The vegetation keeps looking better each time I see it. I like the deep focus; it keeps the scene open and sunny looking. The ground is looking good too.

A few places are going close to black in the vegetation. Those pink flowers in the foreground look as if they could be thin and translucent, so they shouldn't be looking black on the shadow side. Maybe inside the rabbit's ear or some shadow areas on the rabbit also could use some more fill. On the other hand, the white fur looks really, really white, so the sunlit parts of the front paws and and nose might be getting clipped and overexposed. Maybe "white" fur should really be a more medium gray.

I look forward to seeing your pass breakdown too! I suspect that some levels adjustments could be made in the composite.

One of my personal favorite quality checks on a scene is to bring it into Photoshop's Adjust Levels, and isolate where are all the darkest tones are in in the scene, then isolate where all the lightest tones are in the scene, and think about whether those all make sense.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
delpadre -

That's looking good! I like the surreal, magical look to the nighttime shots. In terms of what it resembles, it looks more like slow-exposure night shots than a flash, so I don't know if having the light come from so close to the camera really helps the scene. I guess of the two you posted I like the lower one, maybe because the one with the moon behind him I would expect rim light on the rabbit and trees and more of a backlit look.

I like all the little vegetation, it's as if you have some species of paint effects that I hadn't seen before. I hope when you're done with this you post some kind of a breakdown as well, especially after a lot of testing with different settings you probably have some things to say.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
ShadowM8 -

The little bits and peices you keep posting are a great "teaser" for what you're going to produce. Looking forewards to more.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
Thanks Jermemy, yes Im done so I can move on to something else. I will post a breakdown soon or I was even thinking about writing a tutorial if I have time for anybody that might find it usefull. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: delpadre -

That's looking good! I like the surreal, magical look to the nighttime shots. In terms of what it resembles, it looks more like slow-exposure night shots than a flash, so I don't know if having the light come from so close to the camera really helps the scene. I guess of the two you posted I like the lower one, maybe because the one with the moon behind him I would expect rim light on the rabbit and trees and more of a backlit look.

I like all the little vegetation, it's as if you have some species of paint effects that I hadn't seen before. I hope when you're done with this you post some kind of a breakdown as well, especially after a lot of testing with different settings you probably have some things to say.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
Here's my attempt. I would like to have rendered in mental ray, but some of the fur attribute maps seemd not to work in mr, so it's rendered with Maya Software renderer. To say this has been a learning experience would be such an understatement.... It's so much much work, but it's so very cool.
-Paul

04 April 2006
Thanks Jeremy for all inputs. You are right about the white FUR, I've kinda lost control on that areas. I'll try to fix it later with probably an additional pass of the flower's translucency. For now here are the breakdowns as promised:
First I have separated the scene into 3 layers: the close grass and flowers, the rabbit and the ground with the rest of vegetation. All rendered several times in several passes.

Then I've used a Directional Light representing the Sun here, castig Shadows using Detailed Shadow Maps in Mental Ray.

Then as a Fill -Ambient lighting I used several lights.

I have no clue why I've got some white spots on the rabbit so I rendered it again with shadowing using new lights set:

I liked the idea so I added another pass as back lighting for the rabbit:

I've thought also to render the highlight spot on the its eye alone, and another one for the reflection and a last to get some translucency on the ears. All composed in here:

Finally I've got the idea to render an AO pass(as it's in fashion these days). To get contact shadows for everything.. hmm it's not that slow as I excpected.

It was a great and tough exercise honestly !!
Enjoy everyone.

reply share thread