General Discussion Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2006
I like the Idea of splitting the environment and the character into separate challenges. It will allow time to focus on the details of each.

and BTW I wasn't really expecting it to be an animated sequence, However if it's ever possible... it's gonna be an awesome lighting challenge

12 December 2006
Hmm....I wasn't actually thinking of a full-blown production. Could be a good thing but I was mainly thinking on a smaller scale. Although....if it can be done would be interesting indeed. Something to prepare in the background while we do the other challenges...

I agree on using previous environments from older challenges....anything to save time since its a lighting challenge primarily.

12 December 2006
Maybe we could ask people to donate a model? Figure if we ask now even if it takes a few months to get it you'd have it. Also whos to say the character needs to be hyper-realistic maybe we could do a sylized cartoon/not so real model? If i have image plans of a character like that i'd be able to model it.
Get the anatomy and figurative sketching sub-forum as a study to help, and draw image plans that could be used for modeling? that would be a start. I guess what i'm asking here would take alot of cooperation which oftem times doesn't appeal to people or at least the ones who are going to be participating in creating it...even though if rebecca and Robert agreed and got something to work there doesn't seem to be as many people participating.

But for an idea How about lighting a scene with A living room, Family room in the dark of night with a TV for lighting? Even a movie theatre?

01 January 2007
Lightbulb Go go for full production

I'm in for the full character/environment challenge. Lighting is still one of those mysterious areas in CG. I mean you've got books, tutorials, schools DVDs etc about all areas of CG, from modeling to texturing to rigging, animation, compositing, dynamics, etc...but so little stuff about Lighting. I love Jeremy's book, and it was a tremendous help for my lighting skills, but things like production scale lighting remain a mystery. What's the workflow? How many passes do they do when integrating CG with live action? We've seen so many people share their secrets about production scale environments in all areas except Lighting. Why so? Its the holly grail of CG imho.

So Jeremy, if the character/environment challenge does follow on in the next couple of months, i also suggest we try first a CG character integration against a live background (It could also be a still, matte painting) or vice versa: someone provide us with some Live action footage/green screen/rotoscoped of some real character, decide on the actual feel of the image (as directors often pre-set that) and then match the environment to the character. I know there might be some compositing involved as Keyed footage is reworked from the ground up before getting pasted onto the backplate, but it's still a good start i think.

I just thought we could also try an approach to commercials, maybe rendering a car, but not as in a "product design" sense but against a liveplate(or still), all with animation in mind (as a full blown production). I think a model of a car is easy to find nowadays or people are willing to donate one.

Any thoughts about all this?

-------------------------------
Oh Lighting, reveal your mystery

01 January 2007
TAKADS -

In terms of cars, I think you'll be very happy next week with the next challenge.

In terms of characters, that should be our #1 goal for the year, to get real creature/character lighting going. Not that the rabbit and the eye from last year weren't creature/character lighting work, but we need a full humanoid character or two, to be lit in a dramatic, moving scene. We might take an environment, lets say a forest or a spaceship or a detective's office, and then the month after we've lit the environment as a challenge, try to provide a characters who can be in that environment.

-jeremy

01 January 2007
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: TAKADS -

In terms of cars, I think you'll be very happy next week with the next challenge.

-jeremy

Any news on that one? Or the character and the environment?

Astro Man
!!!!!!!

Six Tuts On Light And Shade

02 February 2007
My scene

I was thinking maybe you can use my scene. This is my best work I've done (Lighting wise.) I would like to hopefully see what the more advanced people can make out of it. give me feedback on how they did it, and how they shaded it. I wouldn't mind letting you guys play around with it. It would help me out even more.

Anthony J. Thomas

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by TAKADS: i also suggest we try first a CG character integration against a live background (It could also be a still, matte painting) or vice versa: someone provide us with some Live action footage/green screen/rotoscoped of some real character, decide on the actual feel of the image (as directors often pre-set that) and then match the environment to the character. I know there might be some compositing involved as Keyed footage is reworked from the ground up before getting pasted onto the backplate, but it's still a good start i think.

I'd like that also. I've actually been taking pictures of this farmers field for the past 6 months capturing different times in the day, weather and now seasons so that i could do just that match a scene in under all the many lighting conditions i've taken with my digital camera. The nice thing about it is, being practically a planar field with the only trees in the background there wont be much matt working to get the cg elements in.

03 March 2007
@jeremybirn -

These challenges are great! I have a character model I'd like to donate for this cause. I don't know if you'll find it appropriate or not, though, can send it to you to see if you like it?

-tedious

03 March 2007
tedious - Thanks for the e-mail. That's definately an interesting character. I see what you mean about appropriateness, but it's interesting none the less . . .

doodlerboy - Those are nice models. We've just done a couple of still-life challenges already, but maybe we could work them into some larger scene if they are needed as part of something else later?

-jeremy

03 March 2007
Originally Posted by yencaray: I'd like that also. I've actually been taking pictures of this farmers field for the past 6 months capturing different times in the day, weather and now seasons so that i could do just that match a scene in under all the many lighting conditions i've taken with my digital camera. The nice thing about it is, being practically a planar field with the only trees in the background there wont be much matt working to get the cg elements in.

The next challenge will start on Friday. Tedious has modeled a nice environment and as well as a character, but we could make using the environment optional, so you could just comp the character into different live-action environments as well.

I had an idea last year for a project that would be all about comping a model into different environments, it would be a "roaming gnome" challenge and everyone would get the garden gnome model and have to comp it someplace different, but I think the next challenge could work well enough with compositing as an optional approach.

-jeremy

03 March 2007
Waiting for friday like the amelie Gnome how fun to ocmpose him in the seaside I can try to check also a 3ds max version if I have obj

03 March 2007
Friday

If fridays new scene is going to be a farm scene I am going to freak out! In a good way lol. I saw the update on Pixars newest schort "Lifted" and so now I'm just stoked about that too. lol

Anthony J. Thomas

03 March 2007
By the way, if we have volunteers who want to model a gnome or a farm, or especially some humanoid characters, contact me and we could use them. Friday's challenge is something completely different, actually kindof goofy, but it's a challenging scene with a character and an environment that was donated to us, and I'm looking forwards to trying it myself.

-jeremy

04 April 2007
I modeled a gold Renderman teapot I received at SIGGRAPH 2005 awhile back, maybe if someone added a cute little room, pedistal, or display case, we could do that as a challenge:

You can view the animated model tottering around at: http://www.jacpiette.com (go to portfolio --> 3D Animation).

reply share thread