Lighting Challenge #7: An Eye for an Eye

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
MMM I like the eye!!!

hey Mer can u send some links for eye, I can't find any big resolutions :( aaaaa

12 December 2006
thanks mate

12 December 2006
I edited my post and added a few more check them out.

PS I just used google advanced search option and 'asked' for high rez only/large size images.

12 December 2006
yea thanks, I only find one bur I will need a lot of rework on because reflection :(

12 December 2006
Can someone share some help/tips about eyelashes I'm really struggling with them :( is better to make a plane with trasparency.. leave the alone and use again trasparency, let them modelled ? any help appreciated

12 December 2006
Hey Jojo,

If you use the provided model,it already has eyelashes , if you want to make some on your own you can model them, use a cone primitive very long and thin, then duplicated it many times and then select all the objects , 'select points' , and use 'proportional move tool' (move tool with fallof for distance and make the tips slightly arc shaped (see ref pics for accuracy).Usually the tips of the 'hair' 'merge' in groups ,that also happens when they get wat .
Then you can place them by hand to follow the shape of the eyelid also note that the more outward 'hair' the longer they get ,laso scale them randomly to get a more natural look, the whole process wont take more than ~half an hour .Of course you can use a tranparency map for them fore easy-fast results ,although geometry is better.

Cheers

Last edited by mer : 12 December 2006 at 02:09 PM.

12 December 2006
Thanks Mer for the suggestion. I will try to render a new image this week let's see what happened and I've also discovered that proportional moving in 3dsmax is soft selection

Last edited by jojo1975 : 12 December 2006 at 07:57 PM.

12 December 2006
I've finally found some extra time for an update. I've changed the lighting, the makeup, and made some adjustments to the eyeball shaders along with a few little tweaks here and there. I'm happy with the different look in this render, and I probably won't touch this again from this point on, as I'm too excited and eager to enter the next challenge .

12 December 2006
FIVE STARS!Excellent work!

Your new update looks absolutely beutiful,and VERY realistic

Did you use translucency/sss on this one?The eyelid texture is much better than the old one.
Only a small criric, the area where the eyeball meets the skin should be a little more pink,and lighter, and perhaps you could make the iris border a little more blury.

Other than that perfect!!

12 December 2006
Agreed. Very very nice work. Amazing really. The last couple of posts here were absolutely beautiful. Great work everyone.

TinyCerebellum, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next challenge. Good luck!

-Brian

12 December 2006
Wow, thanks' guys! I've made those changes that mel suggested, and also changed the reflection object from the window-type thing to a softlight circular source. It seems to be more in harmony this way with the shape of the eye.

In answer to your question, mel, I still haven't used any sss. I also tried creating the diffuse texture, but it required too much hassle to get it looking right, and I simply didn't have the time to tweak it :(. By the way, mel, your skin shader looks incredibly real. Awesome job!

It was really a pleasure to participate in this challenge along with the rest of you. Some of the renders were truly an inspiration, and it's looking that way too in the hallway challenge. I can't wait to start .

12 December 2006
I think it looks better now

One last critique.
I have noticed after looking at many eye photos, that the reflection of bright 'light sources' or very bright reflection highlights is not crisp/sharp.I mean the edges of the highlight, there seems to be a halo/glow/glare around them:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN, This is most of the times NOT due to volume effects but due to 'lens diffraction': http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/pubs/1995/SSZG95.pdf

This can be seen on photos as well as when we see bright objects/light sources/reflection highlights with our eyes as they are a type of lens.

One way to replicate this in 3d is to use a glare-lens shader when we render.
It can also be faked with two different ways.
A simple one is to do it in post, add glow/glare in a image proccesing program.
Another one that works kinda better is for example to use a glow shader on our 'light sources' (of course that can be 'time consuming' render wise when we want to use it on our light-source-environment image (like an hdr one).

Cheers

12 December 2006
You're definitely right, mer, and that bothered me too when I was testing the reflection. I actually tried adding the glow on the source object, but it doesn't render the post effect in reflections, and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that in Maya (or if it's even possible). It'd be easy enough to do it in post, though, and I think it'd be definitely worthwhile, especially in this case. I could render the reflection pass separately and do the post-effect on that (of course, I could just cheat in Photoshop, but I'd feel a whole lot better if I did it properly ), I just have to find the time for it...

12 December 2006
An easy way is to use a plane grid in front of the area-light source with transparency, opaque around the edges and gradually transparent towards the center,that will make your source smaller so make it bigger(biger area-light source).
This grid opaque edges will obviously hide the environment behind it so here is a better and faster way:

-Use just a glossy/blurry refraction shader on this grid in front of the light source,it will just make the light source smoother blured ( have this grid to NOT cast shadows).

EDIT:

NOTE--After some tests (XSI+MentalRay3.4) I found that this grid's glossy/blury refraction shader exibits a wierd result, I couldnt get the Blured refraction show on my objects reflections (!) although when you look at the light source , through this grid, the area light source looks blured(!).

I ONLY got the correct blured refraction result show up 'blured' on the objects reflection, when I use the L-Glass shader (a must..exists for both xsi and maya) on the grid.

It didnt work with other simple glossy/blury refractive shaders like Phong etc..(!)
(Of course in all tests I have high ray depth value in the Render Globals Tab so its not that that is causing the problem)

With L-Glass you get a parameter under the 'Glossy' tab called (ray) 'depth' .That needs to be set to: value = 2 to get the right results .

Only then we get correct results!!!

(Both red balls are reflective with sharp-crisp specular-reflections)

-This is generally a very serious problem , it means that if we use for exmple an area light as a sunlight and we have say..blurry/glossy refractive windows in an indoor scene , we cant render the blured refraction on reflective objects..the reflection wil look as if we havent used glossy/blurry refractions for the windows.(..With L-Glass it works correctly though)

If someone can pop in and explain to us why this happens..I personally think that its due to all basic shaders (at least the ones in XSI) have a limitation for the glossy refractions 'ray depth'.

(I will also post this in the Lighting & rendering forums and I 've posted it in XSIBASE too,in case it is an XSI specific 'problem'.)

Cheers

Last edited by mer : 12 December 2006 at 11:15 PM.

Thread Closed share thread