Lighting Challenge #7: An Eye for an Eye

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by TinyCerebellum: Thank you for the comments and critique, guys. I tried to apply the fixes you recommended, so here are some updated renders.

Mer, I tried to tone down the specularity of the skin in the new renders, but I think the painted plastic look is still there a bit. I think I may have to tone down the reflection on it too, and perhaps play with the diffuse channel a bit. That will have to wait for when I have some time again. I've tried to stay away from computationally intensive methods like SSS or GI...

In these new renders I've also added an ambient occlusion pass, which made a world of difference. Aside from that, the lighting is all directional, with no GI or FG. I've also made an attempt at makeup, which was by no means easy. I'm still trying to figure out how to add realistic looking sparkles.

@JCBug and mer

The eyebrows are indeed all texture. I sharpened up the colour texture in that area a bit, then generated a specular, bump, and reflection map from it, played a bit with the levels to reduce the area of effect as close as possible to the hair strings, and that's all there was to it.

Wow!

The new render is fantastic!Way more realistic.

Could you please also explain how you created the corrected upper eyelashes?

By the way the skin is very real looking now! ,especially considering you didnt even use sss!Perhaps the image is way too 'orange'.Try to desaturate it just a little.As for the sparkling makeup,you could use a noise kind of map in your skin specular/reflection map,perhaps driven by surface-camera facing ,incidence/ramp/fallof shader.

Could you please also explain how you created the corrected eyelashes?Did you make them from scratch?

Edit:

Since you want to avoid sss (Althought in my opinion fast_sss is very fast except if you use it with say ultra high rez displacement)
.., a way you could improve your render would be to use a 'fake-sss' trick:

use a sliiightly blured version of your texture map for the diffuse (maybe even use photoshop's curves to lower the contrast a little) but use the current sharper version for specular/reflection , it really works very well ! It will make the skin more soft in appearance .

Keep us updated

Last edited by mer : 11 November 2006 at 10:52 PM.

11 November 2006
Thanks' mer! I will give that a try.. I was thinking I could do the glitter reflection based, with a separate map for the reflection colour, but I think you're right and that I'd have to create the effect based on specularity and camera angle instead. I don't think that reflection alone would be sufficient, plus, specularity would be so much faster .

I actually changed both sets of eyelashes, but they're still the original models. What I did was just go through each lash and reset its pivot point manually to the base of the hair. From there I just scaled and rotated. It may sound very tedious, but the whole ordeal took only around 15 minutes. It went that fast because I just pressed insert once, and when I click on a new object in Maya, the pivot point editing mode will still be in effect. From there I just center pivot on the hair, and Curve snap on the lash right to the base. Rinse and repeat.

11 November 2006
"... I don't think that reflection alone would be sufficient, plus, specularity would be so much faster ."

Yes I agree.Thanx for the info!Looking forward to your next update!

Last edited by mer : 11 November 2006 at 11:01 PM.

11 November 2006
Thanks for the crit mer, I completely overlooked the cornea part - now that you pointed it out it stands out like a sore thumb (and the texture too)! I have to work soon but I'll update it another day.

By the way with your model I noticed that the part where the skin meets the eyeball it's rough and uneven, did you randomize the verts or have you used some displacement map? It's those little details that make an image more interesting/realistic to look at.

11 November 2006
"By the way with your model I noticed that the part where the skin meets the eyeball it's rough and uneven, did you randomize the verts or have you used some displacement map? It's those little details that make an image more interesting/realistic to look at."

Actually yes the 'uneven' part you refer to , was from the skin displacement.This although makes the pic more interesting like you say and I agree , it is not 'anatomically corect' as this part where the eyeball and skin meet , the skin is very smooth and more reflective than in my render.I noticed it after looking to more reference pics later. It should also be more pink there and the tear line should be more evident ,'thicker'

When you get a chance to work on your scene again let us updated

Last edited by mer : 11 November 2006 at 12:50 AM.

11 November 2006
that is a scene in the movie ...KingKong...

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by mer: Hey nojak!

Your new lighting setup looks much better!
As for the skin texture , I think the diffuse color looks ok but perhaps you should try using a bitmap/photo as a bumpmap , to get the wrinkles around the eye right.

Cheers

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to do that with the bump map. Things just aren't working out procedurally like I'd hoped. I thought I'd at least make an effort, though.

I still have a lot of work to do on the skin texture, I know. I've mostly been focusing on the eye, and the lighting... and the eye still isn't really finished either, but things are coming along at least.

Thanks for the input!

- nojak

11 November 2006
This is a great challenge, some great works appearing - Well, I thought I'd have a go...

Done in Softimage XSI foundation 5.11.

Comments welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eye31.jpg (94.7 KB, 48 views)

11 November 2006
little update

Hi

@chickenkts . Thats Great Shaders u got on the Kink Kong Theme.. very good. Your Previos Picture was also very good .. great angle very artistic i like it
@AJ_23 . Excelente Job.. please update if u can..
@mer Your eye is great to bad u use textures .. just kidding You Rulez
@TinyCerererebellum .. Fantastic Job.. hope tu see ur breakdown

Ok guys im trying to improve my image.. so i added reflections in the pupil .. and play with the occlusion pass a bit in the latest 2 images..

hope to make a real update soon.. later

11 November 2006
Wow! These are incredible! Beats my eye. I'm curious where your getting the HDR images from? Debevec.com is very limited to me. Also how are your painting the iris? This is the iris i painted. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I didn't paint the veins though I found an image of a sclera online. I get grossed out by painting veins/artieries. I did paint the iris though and the pupil.

Last edited by Womball : 11 November 2006 at 07:10 AM.

11 November 2006
Hey .. im not sure if ur refering to me anyways.. i post the procedural shaders i use for the challenge on page 11 i think .. the image i downloadr from a webpage i dont recall right now but i will post that later ok

Thx

Last edited by Leotril : 11 November 2006 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spellin

11 November 2006
what is the best way to make eyelish and eyebrows?

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by Leotril: Hey .. im not sure if ur refering to me anyways.. i post the procedural shaders i use for the challenge on page 11 i think .. the image i downloadr from a webpage i dont recall right now but i will post that later ok

Thx

Nope but thanks. I'm using XSI btw and trying to do everything with image textures I paint. I'm not sure if procedurals would create the effect I want. Although I may use them to give the cornea a roughness.

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by donvlatko: what is the best way to make eyelish and eyebrows?

Personally I 'd use the hair tools from XSI.Really easy to comb the 'hair' and fast to render too.

11 November 2006
I'm useing Maya.

Thread Closed share thread