Lighting Challenge #9: Neon and Chrome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2007
Cool

Originally Posted by Dogway: Hello MasterZap. Your render looks awesome so far. A bit bright overall, but by the sky color it might be around 7 o clock? not too dark still.

Nah, I was going for a "late evening" look not a "night" look really.

Originally Posted by Dogway: I want to ask you and other guys using MR, how can you render such a res. image with FG without render issues, due you have bump, ton of textures, geometry, reflections, etc. Do you have any trick to speed up the render?? (FG is my nightmare)

First of all, use mental ray 3.5; bump+FG was an issue back in the day - no longer so. I go into this on my mentalraytips.blogspot.com blog. (FG points are now stored using the unbumped normal and with directional data, so the indirect illumination is looked up directionally at the render phase. In the old days pretty much every bump had to be resolved by the FG phase's adaptivity and given it's own FG point, which is completely unnecessary now, you can use ridiculously low FG densities and get a perfect image for bumps)

Also, in mr 3.5 it's trivial to get a nice, smooth FG solution by using the new style FG (which uses no radii, but only a 'number of closest FG points to interpolate' setting). The trick I use is to intentionally make an oversmooth FG solution, and then use AO (which is built into mia_material/arch&design) to regain any lost details - works like a treat.

My FG for this scene is the easy part. I use a density of 0.1, 50 FG rays, and 30 points in the lookup (using the mr 3.5 new non-radius mode "auto"). On this scene the FG goes by pretty fast.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap : 02 February 2007 at 08:24 AM.

02 February 2007
Priceless info. thanks for the input. I should get updated with mental, some of the new attributes just are "new" to me XD and very useful blog

ah, btw, do u still need to precompute AO or FG in the areas will be reflected? or it doesnt make a change at all?

02 February 2007
Just a small update from me today. I promise the next one will be more substantial!

Maya, 3Delight, mentalray, Maxwell Render, ZBrush
Photoshop, Fusion, Vegas Pro, Syntheyes

02 February 2007
Does anyone mind posting a screenshot of his lighting rig?

cheers,
luka

02 February 2007
Who's lighting rig?

**edit**: Sorry I totally misunderstood you. Read your post below. I should have posted my lighting setup too. Although for a scene like this it's pretty cut and dry.

Jeremy can you delete this post?

Last edited by ACamacho : 02 February 2007 at 04:12 PM.

02 February 2007
I thought it would be great to see a screenshot how you placed your lights.

02 February 2007
@herbertagudera: When you have a few minutes would you care to explain in a little more detail how you obtained those passes you are using. It looks like an interesting idea and I don't seem to quite catch what you are doing. Thanks.

02 February 2007
heres mine.. hope you like it. lit and rendered with cinema 4d

i tried to achieve a semi-realistic look - with pronounced reflectivity and cheap looking barrel distortion and chromatic abberation..

02 February 2007
@eldonaldo - Great work! Love the wet street, that's really spot-on! Next task is to get light from the neon to illuminate nearby surfaces...

@Jozvex - I love it! That's a great start! If you're going to use anamorphic flares like that, maybe the next version should be 2.35 wide-screen aspect, too?

@MasterZap - Thanks for that blog, I'll be a regular reader! I'm just sitting here playing with mia_material for the first time...

@balou - Welcome!

-jeremy

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by MasterZap: - use the 'rounded corner' feature from architectural.dll that makes render time bevels to edges so they don't look "computery sharp"

SO, where is this in Maya 8.5? Is it in the mia_material, or a separate geometry shader I'm supposed to find somewhere?

-jeremy

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: If you're going to use anamorphic flares like that, maybe the next version should be 2.35 wide-screen aspect, too?

Hmm, that would've made sense really... shame I didn't think of that before making this:

Haha! Oh well. Some things I still need to do are:

1. What was I thinking with those green....rectangular...pointlessnessess. I'm going to delete the screen-left one and replace the right side one with a 'no littering' sign/light seeing as though there's a bin right there.

2. Apparently my car paint has hives and/or the paint is boiling. Need to fix that.

3. Give the big screen an image.

4. Maybe some other touches like a person in the car and some wetness up the sides of the guttering.

This is a fun scene! Oh by the way, the flares are part of the Maxwell rendering too! It's lens diffraction based on the shape/angle/size of the lens and iris, plus any dirt on the lens (no really, you supply a dirt/hairs/scratches map for the lens).

EDIT: That render took an hour and 40 minutes. For the final one I'll probably leave it overnight.

Last edited by Jozvex : 02 February 2007 at 04:59 AM.

02 February 2007
Looks good, Jozvex!

If you could get some reflections onto the front of the truck and his windshield it would help, maybe the truck glass doesn't even need to be transparent.

It looks like the sidewalk and building exterior got brighter, which is fine, but they are very uniform in color, with the sidewalk the same gray all the way across the frame and some other surfaces looking more blue lit all the way across. The brick especially needs some lighting help, because when you see all of it lit evenly the periodicity of the brick pattern repeats too much. Maybe some more warm tones near the sign, more blue or green at the edges?

It's funny how the green surfaces look so much like green-screen elements that you almost don't notice them.

-jeremy

02 February 2007
Talking

Originally Posted by jeremybirn: SO, where is this in Maya 8.5? Is it in the mia_material, or a separate geometry shader I'm supposed to find somewhere?

-jeremy

mia_roundcorners - a bump shader.

It's a bumpmap effect, not geometry/displace/etc. It just "cheats" it, but it looks nifty.

/Z

02 February 2007
Jozvex, your ground texture looks a bit pixelated.

MasterZap, so it's kind of a shader for beveled edges? Very useful.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious: Jozvex, your ground texture looks a bit pixelated.

Thankyou for pointing that out!! It's shockingly bad! This is a big reminder for me to look at my work on lower res monitors, because at my working resolution it looks ok, when clearly it's not! And thanks Jeremy I'll see if I can improve those areas too.

(wow the cement is blocky too)

Thread Closed share thread