Lighting Challenge #3: Hairy Hare

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2006
Update:
I added a slight blur for a DOF effect. I couldn't match the exact colors as the first one because I did the second compositing in Photoshop while the 1st one was done in Combustion.

04 April 2006
Just having some fun

Last edited by michael-fd : 04 April 2006 at 10:22 PM.

04 April 2006
lighting challenge 1:vijay

HI Jermy,
this is first time i was working over hairs, my comp is not able to give me freedom to do experiments with the hairs due to its low configration. but i was highly intersted to do this challenge,here is my efferts, comments are most welcome from all users.

This is my hare in clouds

This is my Hare under an electic pole

This is my Hare in a bright sunny day under open sky

04 April 2006
staring for to long at my monitor

Hello everybody.
This way this mini challenge will continue a bit longer, but I would really like to get some feedback on my first attempt to do some thick fur renderings.
Because I've been looking at it for to long...

It has all been done in 3dsmax, scanline renderer. couple of direct lights and a spot for shading.....thanks.

04 April 2006
Jittik, I like what you so far but I do have a question. I don't know the hair system in Max, but I'm guessing there's some sort of transparency value? It seems like some of your foreground grass is a bit see-through. Also, you may want to increase the hair density in those areas where it looks like you can see the ground plane. If you plan on a ground texture or something then disregard that last statement.

Overall I like your progress so far, and the rabbit is looking better.

04 April 2006
Great entries everybody, nice to see the participation level growing.

Michael I really enjoyed your piece, great look and feel to it!

I've been busy with work lately so I only manage to do a little very night, it's moving along all right though. I got the look down for now and am concentrating on blending the different areas that I had to separate. I won't post any "teasers" for now but as soon as I have the full rabbit done I'll get it up here.

Cheers!

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by Jittik:

That's great. I think especially this one has great colors in it, nice overall impression. dax3d already mentioned some good points.

Originally Posted by Jittik:

This one does really well along the top of the rabbit's back. The back doesn't look flat in the outline, and isn't a dark line, it looks fluffy and irregular like real fur.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by michael_fd: Just having some fun

Wonderful! It looks like you posted a painting.

The rabbits are a bit small so I can't say much about the fur, but that backdrop with the sun there could really motivate a strong sense that everything is back-lit. The grass, the rabbits' ears, anything that can show translucency or rim light, could be getting some in a scene like that. (I wonder about how blown-out the sun is in the background, too, if a little more color and detail worked into the blown area would complete the painterly look...)

Again, great job anyway.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
Originally Posted by vijaybundela: HI Jermy,
this is first time i was working over hairs, my comp is not able to give me freedom to do experiments with the hairs due to its low configration. but i was highly intersted to do this challenge,here is my efferts, comments are most welcome from all users.

This is my hare in clouds

Hi Vijay -

That's a good start. You've clearly done a lot of work already.

If you are working on an old computer without much memory, I hope you can focus on rendering different layers separately, so you just do background and background grass, then render the rabbit, then render foreground grass, and composite all of those scenes together. You've clearly done a lot of work already, but the low-polygon terrain and large triangular shaped grass is a bit distracting, it would be better to render just a smaller portion of your scene at a time.

-jeremy

04 April 2006
This is very cool thread with true feedbacks. I'll join you when next challenge starts because I'm going to 2 weeks holiday now Good times with fur guys and see you soon!

04 April 2006
lighting challenge :1

Thanks jermy,
i will try layer rendering and try to produce some more good results.

04 April 2006
Hi Vijay,
What are you using to create the grass? Unless you are trying to create a stylized look, maybe decrease the width of the grass at the root?

michael_fd I really like your work so far. Definitely very nice, and painterly like Jeremy pointed out. What are you using to work on this?

04 April 2006
lighting challenge

Thanx dax,
now i really think i should work more over grass.
Well i made my work in 3ds max 8, render with mental ray using GI. once again thanks for all comments, next time i will try to deliver some more good results.

04 April 2006
Hey Vijay,
What are you using in Max to create the grass though? Is it a plugin or geometry?
I'm not sure if what you're using allows it, but maybe experiment with transparency on hair tip and a little maybe on hair root.

It's a good start, I'll see if I can dig up my first attempt at grass....ouch

04 April 2006
hehe... here's my go at it for now... (obvious errors like the ears, and overall fur length and everything is just default for now...didn't spend too much time on it yet)

reply share thread