Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #61
Goldy1
portfolio
syl
CG artist
paris, France

TP4 Object's pieces animation

Hi everyone

Very new to thinking particles and would like to know if there is an efficient maner to "deconstruct" an animated car in pieces , transforming this particles in pieces of an another car and assembling them.
In fact,t is there a simply way to animated pieces of an object with TP4?
I've try several times do to this with Pflow but it seems there is not native ( may be script) way to do this this with it.
Is there a way to do this with particles or should I do this by hand.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #63
Goldy1
portfolio
syl
CG artist
paris, France

Constrution and memory node

Yes , ok thank you Glacierise I've already see that this DVD will come, nice .
I think I 've resolved one part of my problem , I use object to particles and select all the pieces of my car after it's very easy to animate the pieces, however my biggest problem now is to drive my particle to their initial positon, I've tried to use the "memoy" node in positon but I make certainly a mistake because my results are very "jiggly" and the way to obtain the "construct" is very heavy in terms of numbers of group and nodes...
So is there a simply way to bring my particles to their originals position?

PS:Curiously I found this tutorial on maxundergound, but the deconstruct is fine but unfortunately the "construct " is just an reverse animation on the keyframed baked particles:

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/au...low-in-3ds-max/

Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #64
HeadSmell
MoJo Monkey

portfolio
Alexander Lombardi
FX Artist
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy1
Hi everyone
Very new to thinking particles and would like to know if there is an efficient maner to "deconstruct" an animated car in pieces , transforming this particles in pieces of an another car and assembling them.
In fact,t is there a simply way to animated pieces of an object with TP4?
I've try several times do to this with Pflow but it seems there is not native ( may be script) way to do this this with it.
Is there a way to do this with particles or should I do this by hand.

If you are breaking off pieces of an object and want them back in thier original position you have to store that position to be used later in a Dynamic Set. If you just starting out you should watch all the duber videos:
http://www.duber.tv/en/3ds-max/particles/
Goran goes over the memory node (which you will be needing) along with data channels and actually a video just on breaking and rebuilding.

If your just learning TP start small, rather than just jumping start into this particular effect, try to build a small system around just the rule your trying to create. That way it's alot easier for you or anyone else to solve any problems that arise.

B-Movie

Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #65
Goldy1
portfolio
syl
CG artist
paris, France

Memory node and "construction"

Thanks Glacierise and Headsmell, in fact I post a reply last night where I was talking about that I found a way to deconstrust my car easily with the "object to particle" but the thread seems not to appear on the forum. I've already see the Duber's videos but "construction and deconstruction" seems to work with the animation of the fragment thresold.
I found a way to animate the "construction" with the "memory" node but the documentation and the Duber's video seems to be a little bit confuse for me on this subject, in fact my results are very "jiggly" and the tree to reach the "construction" is very heavy in terms of numbers of nodes and groups.
So , is there a simply way with the memory nodes to bring the particles to their originals positon.

THX

Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #66
Glacierise
precise defab worker

portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria

Let's try to put it simple. What do you need to build the object out of particles? You need all the positions and the orientations of the pieces, right? To have that, you need to record them somewhere - that's what the memory or the data channel is doing. So - you save the position and orientation with the techniques Goran shows. Then, you use whatever method to break it up - a force, shape collision, anything. When the moment comes to construct again, you must bring the particles to the saved position and rotation. You do that with the bringto node, for example, and pipe the saved position into it. When you have two objects, you'll need to place the particles forming these two objects first. TP can't do that for you, since it can't know where the particles/pieces must be. After you do that placing, and save the positions/orientations, you can start with the disassembly That clearer?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #67
Goldy1
portfolio
syl
CG artist
paris, France

Bring to

Thanx Glacierise the bring to node works very nice, construction and deconstruction are ok .

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #68
vishy123
portfolio
Vishy MakeAwish
FX Lead
EyeQube Studios
Bombay, India

Particle Velocity on a surface

How to calculate the velocity of a particle thats moving with the animated vertices of a surface. I want to spawn particle from the base particles and want the spawned particles to inherit the velocity of the base particles which are moving with those vertices.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #69
Glacierise
precise defab worker

portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria

if you connect the particle output of a group to a position born, and that born particles to a velocity node, you can then get the velocity of the parent particles, plug it into the velocity input of the velocity node, and use its 'speed' setting to multiply.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #70
Tomlef
portfolio
thomas lef
Paris, France

Node "O Scale"

Hy, everybody

I have a small problem with the node " Scale ", I want make appear a set of objects / particles with an increase of their scale from 0 to 100 %, my particles born from a node " Obj to Particle ", connected in output with "Scale" in value 0, in the another Dynamic Set, I have to make appear my objects / particles, a node " scale " connected in input with my group of particles and a "H Counter", but I notice that my objects are deformed although the values of scale X, Y,and Z are all in 100.I also try with a node " Size ", but this time my objects have no the same general scale.
Somebody can help me to fix my problem, please?
Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #71
Goldy1
portfolio
syl
CG artist
paris, France

How to "curv"e time remapping?

I 'm looking to a simple way to time remapping a Tp tree and connect it to a max " ease-curve" Object animation.
Thx in advance

Old 07-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #72
Glacierise
precise defab worker

portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria

You can use the export node, it will turn all your particles to keyframed objects. Sometimes I export like that, manipulate the animation on a few piexes manually, and then delete them from TP, to use the adjusted ones instead of the particles. Happens quite often when you only have a few stubborn ones that won't play nice

Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #73
vishy123
portfolio
Vishy MakeAwish
FX Lead
EyeQube Studios
Bombay, India

But hristo the velocity of the particles that are positioned on the surface vertices is zero. Its the vertices thats drivin the particles around. So i cannot plug-in the velocity parameter of the base node into the velocity of the spawned particles. I need to somehow find the velocity of the particles thats movinn with the vertices. I have placed the particles over a a fr Ocean object, so those particles are now driven by the motion of the vertices of the ocean. And whenever the ocean waves go above a certian height the base particles spwan particles and i want those spawned particles to inherit the velocity of the base particles.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #74
Glacierise
precise defab worker

portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria

Then you create particles off the ones on the surface, reference them, and use the follow position node with the reference, and 0% spring. Then you'll have particles to get velocity from.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #75
SoLiTuDe
Lord of the Thundercats

portfolio
Ian Farnsworth
FX Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy123
But hristo the velocity of the particles that are positioned on the surface vertices is zero. Its the vertices thats drivin the particles around. So i cannot plug-in the velocity parameter of the base node into the velocity of the spawned particles. I need to somehow find the velocity of the particles thats movinn with the vertices. I have placed the particles over a a fr Ocean object, so those particles are now driven by the motion of the vertices of the ocean. And whenever the ocean waves go above a certian height the base particles spwan particles and i want those spawned particles to inherit the velocity of the base particles.

SurfacePos doesn't calc velocity either, which is why I had to set it up. ...soo something like this (may need tweaking)... I've done a pretty simple hack for that -- you need to store the pos in a memory operator, and compare it to the current position, and then calculate the velocity from that -- the catch is that it's dependent on your TP samples/second as well.

CurrentPos and LastPos into an expression operator with two vector inputs, one scalar output: expression is length(v1 - v2) (this is the distance travelled inbetween samples), then a float set to your tp's samples per second (if it's perframe then it's your max framerate, if it's half frame it's that times 2, and if it's custom then it's the same value in the samples/sec field) pipe this into a multiply, and multiply the distance by it. Take this output and put it into a velocity node's speed.

Create another expression node, and just have it do v1-v2 with a vector output (to get the direction), or you can use a distance condition and just use direction. Pipe this into the direction on the velocity node.

... you should be set -- and now the original particles will motion blur too (for when you just have particles stuck on a surface)

Hristo's solution looks much easier ..though I like the idea of just having one set of 'original particles' ...it'd be nice if TP just calculated the velocity of the points for these kinds of setups, but for some reason they left it out... I don't think I ever put in a request for this though, because there are a few ways to tackle the problem.

Last edited by SoLiTuDe : 07-16-2010 at 05:25 PM.

reply share thread