Thinking Particles

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

06 June 2010
cool man, looking forward

B-Movie

06 June 2010
How can i emit praticles in TP from a finalRender ocean object based on the choppiness vector data. I want the emission when the choppiness reaches a certain threshold and the height of the waves.

06 June 2010
I haven't touched the FR ocean yet, but if you can get the data inside TP, it would be just a matter of thresholding the choppiness per position, ow whatever the sampling is, and creating particles at these positions that the choppiness goes above the threshold

06 June 2010
right Glacierise, but hw would i get that data. theres a parameter which if checked saves the vector data to a file, it might be saving the data with the foam map coz its in the Foam generation rollout, its a .omp file, so hw do i get access to that file from within TP. This is what the wiki page says "Vector Data: Check this option to store the direction and strength of the choppiness data inside of the ocean mesh. This option is primarily intended for use with thinkingParticles."

06 June 2010
the way i worked out a solution was to position particles on every vertex of the ocean surface and then using psearch i worked out the distance condition between those particles, so when in areas where chopiness is more the vertex come closer and the distance condition is satisfied and particle are spwaned from the surface particles, but the problem is my final high res ocean surface has more than 300 thousand vertex and calculating the distance between all those particles kills my machine, so i have no option but to find a way of using the Vector data generated by the surface to emit particles. can anyone help.

06 June 2010
I think you better ask that question in the cebas forums, the devs are there

06 June 2010
yah i posted in the cebas forums too, lez see if i find somethn there.

06 June 2010
I got a reply from cebas and they are yet to implement the frOcean object in Thinking Particle.

This is wot Edwin Braun wrote on cebas forum.

"Good point,

in the ocean object we added the support for this data. We just need to add on tP side the support as well. It is somehow a bit tricky to get it properly implemented.

This will come in a later release.

-ed"

So i guess i will have to wait some time to get it right.

Thnx Hristo for ur kind support.

07 July 2010
Been playing with the new VB nodes for a few weeks now, decided to put them in a little personal shot for my reel .

http://vimeo.com/13031229

The compression looks bad though anyone know a good file/compresion to upload to vimeo and not loose quality?

comments and critiques always welcome
Cheers

B-Movie

Last edited by HeadSmell : 07 July 2010 at 11:51 AM.

07 July 2010
Cool You'll have to break it up a little though, right now it's too uniform - especially on the 2nd shot it's like cloth tearing And on the 1st one - the pieces are too uniformly sized, and the speeds are too similar. Put in some gravity and friction, more on the bigger ones. I'd prefragment once in that case, then fragment once more where te bullets hit, so there's more variation in the sizes of the pieces.

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by HeadSmell: Been playing with the new VB nodes for a few weeks now, decided to put them in a little personal shot for my reel .

The compression looks bad though anyone know a good file/compresion to upload to vimeo and not loose quality?

Cheers

Hehe that looks awesome! well done... wish I knew how to do that.. still just stating out in TP.

07 July 2010
Thanks guys for the feed back

@Glacierise:
yea I had a few different Particle groups defining the cell creation, One of the groups washed out some of the bigger cells and bullet impact .I acually do have some re-fragmenting going on aswell...but it's to small and fast to see . Hopefully get some time to re-render the glass. Just added some building debris bullet hits last night

@adom86:
Jump on CGFluids there is a thread showing all the info on the VB nodes and the set up I used

Cheers guys

B-Movie

07 July 2010
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HeadSmell: Been playing with the new VB nodes for a few weeks now, decided to put them in a little personal shot for my reel .

Cheers

wow that is sweet man....... great stuff

07 July 2010
Thanks Jimmy, was a lot of fun making it

Been nose deep in the new joint systems atm...hopefully get some going this weekend

B-Movie

07 July 2010
Any news on DVD 2 for TP4 yet?

reply share thread