Glacierise's Thinking Particles thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2008
sounds interesting

10 October 2008
No update for some, so here's a simple and cool thing:

I figured a way to implement the functionality of the ’split amount’ PFlow operator in TP, and quite easily:

A transcription - like Bobo does, explaining his scripts, I find that very useful: A random value between 0 and 1 is created for each paricle in the old group, using the ‘per animation’ option in the random operator. Then, this value is piped to a threshold operator (’inside’ enabled) which has the split ratio defined in it. If it is 0-0.5 for example, it will split 50% of the particles, etc. The output of the threshold is sent to a group operator, which sends the particles to the new group. Save a blackbox, drink a beer

10 October 2008
good work man,

try expanding on this, try getting it to split equally into x groups, in this case say u want to divide a system into 4 equal different groups

10 October 2008
Thanks man, that split into more groups doesn't look hard, as long as it isn't procedural, i.e. I know the number of the groups at design time. Will do it in a flash, I just have a few more days to wrap up my current job, then just pull back and watch

10 October 2008
Free at last! And on to do some cool FX for the Blur challenge!

@Depleted: That 'going further' with split amounts turned out to be a piece of cake:

To enable a less restricted input, I decided to normalize the ratios. So I get the ratio numbers, sum them up to get the 100% number (range), then divide each input ratio by the range, to get the normalized ratios. Then proceed with the random generator and the threshold as before, one threshold per group. This gives a relative(not absolute) input for the ratios, and is easily extensible. Enjoy!

P.S.: It also comes in handy for the welder scene

P.P.S: That has to be the sexiest welder ever

Last edited by Glacierise : 10 October 2008 at 11:17 PM.

10 October 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread