FumeFX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2007   #46
Also...

pixelmagic: You also need to add a fumefx birth. Also you dont need anything but this to get your particles to move (and the velocity channel):

Also you can add in the materials and what not to give it color.

Mark

Old 05 May 2007   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub227
pixelmagic: You also need to add a fumefx birth. Also you dont need anything but this to get your particles to move (and the velocity channel):

Also you can add in the materials and what not to give it color.

Mark

The fumefx birth is not actually required to make pflow follow fume, however it is if you want it to create particles based on fume parameters.

...however in looking at pixelmagic's flow more closely removing the speed operator would also be smart, as the fume follow will actually control the speed. Also the multiplier need to be adjusted based on the time scale I believe.

Last edited by SoLiTuDe : 05 May 2007 at 09:47 PM.

Old 05 May 2007   #48
So true...

Solitude: I agree, but i would expect him to want to utilize the Smoke and Fire channels. Thats why i was going with that approch. But yes you are correct in the fact that the birth isn't always needed (plus it seems to add a bit of overhead). But both ways can acheive the same effect. One tool, 300 ways..yeaaa!! haha.

Old 05 May 2007   #49
I've got it working now. Thanks guys.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 05 May 2007   #50
For the afterworks thing it's down to the installers - fume as its own afterworks.dlu that it puts into the plugins/afterworks/common files folder and afterburn has an afterworks.dlu that goes into plugins - I just rename the afterburn.blu in plugins to afterburn.bak since it's an older version and then make sure that the afterworks common entry in plugin.ini is before both fume and ab. No more errors.

Old 05 May 2007   #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub227
Solitude: I agree, but i would expect him to want to utilize the Smoke and Fire channels. Thats why i was going with that approch. But yes you are correct in the fact that the birth isn't always needed (plus it seems to add a bit of overhead). But both ways can acheive the same effect. One tool, 300 ways..yeaaa!! haha.

Yeah totally depends on the effect! I did this without using fume for the birth... www.innersolitude.com/teapotfume.mov (this was my first krak test) I've noticed that using fume for the birth can make some of the stuff kind of pop a bit when it's born if the grid detail is too low... but it makes for nicer volume

Last edited by SoLiTuDe : 05 May 2007 at 01:51 AM.

Old 05 May 2007   #52
subframe sampling

does anyone here have any idea how to control subframe sampling in a reasonable way within fumefx/particle flow? for example, i have an object moving through the fume sim box fairly quickly, and it's emitting from particles on it's surface. i'm loading the fume sim into particle flow with a fume birth operator followed by a fume follow; both referencing the fume sim box. then, when i render, the particle emitters are emitting in spurts like i need to increase my subframe samples.

changing the particle flow subframe steps from frame to 1/4 frame slows the render down, but has little effect on the final image.

i'm currently trying to sim the scene again with the steps set to 4, so each frame calculates the fume with 4 steps. obviously, this is taking 4 times longer to run :(

is there an easier way to smooth out the results?

i apologoze if this is a silly question, i'm still fairly new to using fume.

Old 05 May 2007   #53
Is your fume sim using a time scale other than 1? ...the fumefx operators need their multipliers or influence (forget which exactly) set according to the time scale or something like that.

Also: for fast moving object add more simulation steps in the fumefx dialog

Last edited by SoLiTuDe : 05 May 2007 at 11:15 PM.

Old 05 May 2007   #54
I'm trying to make some simulation with fume fx.
I don't understand what Fluid mapping is, and how i can use it.

Old 05 May 2007   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiTuDe
Is your fume sim using a time scale other than 1? ...the fumefx operators need their multipliers or influence (forget which exactly) set according to the time scale or something like that.

Also: for fast moving object add more simulation steps in the fumefx dialog

Thanks, Solitude.
The time scale is set to 1.0 in the simulation dialog. I can't find any time step settings in the Fume PF operators and the influence spinner is a percentage value....not very intuitive

I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the global particle flow integration steps would, for the most part, control the subframe evaluation of the entire particle flow. So, my logic in running the sim with Fume's simulation steps set to 4 (evaluating the fume sim each 1/4 frame) is that when I set particle flow's integration step to 1/4 frame it could utilize the subframe data correctly on each quarter frame. Unfortunately, beyond slowing down both the sim and the render, there is little change in the render and visually I am still seeing particles birthing on each frame and not in between....resulting in particle "spurts" in the render.

My understanding was that the time scale value in the Fume simulation settings would essentially offset the fluid motion kind of like a multiplier. I'll give it a shot though.

Old 05 May 2007   #56
Getrad: Crazyness dude... i think you passed with flying colors. I've no idea why it would do this. If you simmed with 4 steps then you've def. done your part in ensuring that you have enough detail and such for it to work properly. What does the velocity look like if you view it in the fume grid? ..maybe there is just a limit on how fast you can move something through the grid. yes, the multipliers / influence do offset that, but they are directly affected by what the time scale is.

http://www.afterworks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=252

Old 05 May 2007   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiTuDe
Getrad: Crazyness dude... i think you passed with flying colors. I've no idea why it would do this. If you simmed with 4 steps then you've def. done your part in ensuring that you have enough detail and such for it to work properly. What does the velocity look like if you view it in the fume grid? ..maybe there is just a limit on how fast you can move something through the grid. yes, the multipliers / influence do offset that, but they are directly affected by what the time scale is.

http://www.afterworks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=252

thanks again, solitude

still waiting for authorization on the forum. in the meantime, i've had a fair bit of success by applying a variety of forces to the particles after the fume follow operator in particle flow. the result solves the subframe sampling issue for the most part, but the results become quite muddy....the variation in motion required to smooth the subframe "empty spaces" essentially kills the beauty that comes from the fume sim....

for now i'll use the fume sim to generate the majority of what i need and then use a standard pflow setup to get the emission area working better....comped together, the result is much more acceptable, but it would look WAAAAYYY better if all the particle motion could be derived through the fume simulation.

cheers

Old 05 May 2007   #58
Does Fumefx support Mental Ray in max?

Old 05 May 2007   #59
Currently none of the Afterworks products support Mental Ray. This invloves afterworks making a translator and MR specific versions of their tools. I think this is going to be addressed at some point, but how and when is currently unknown. All standard plugin renderers should work with it as expected (Brazil, fR, Vray, etc).

-Eric

Old 05 May 2007   #60
Hi, I'm new to Fumefx. So far I kindda know the general concept of how Fumefx works and had done few simple fire test and it was cool!! The only thing I am trying to figure out is how do I make the fire to stop burning at let say 100 frame of the animation. Stop burning meaning the fire start to die out after frame 100. So far the solution that I had comeout with is to make the opacity of the fire to go 0 at frame 100 but I still think there is a way to make the flame die out dramaticly.

reply share thread