darrennorthcott
what the hell is '3D'?

portfolio
Darren Northcott
CG/VFX Artist / Director
Thought Box Creative / Rare Method
Calgary, Canada

Lee:

just an idea (cant test cause i'm at work) but what if you simmed and rendered out the smoke with higher spacing (so its fast) and use that as a base smoke, then re sim with smaller spacing, but less density and accentuated highlights for detail(should be faster) then comp together in post?

just an idea, prob won't turn out but worth a look

cheers
Darren

Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #317
leefree
Climbing the mountain
portfolio
................, Afghanistan

Send a message via AIM to leefree
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGriffin
Lee:

just an idea (cant test cause i'm at work) but what if you simmed and rendered out the smoke with higher spacing (so its fast) and use that as a base smoke, then re sim with smaller spacing, but less density and accentuated highlights for detail(should be faster) then comp together in post?

just an idea, prob won't turn out but worth a look

cheers
Darren

You know what? That might actually work. I'll give it a whirl and get back to ya.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #318
darrennorthcott
what the hell is '3D'?

portfolio
Darren Northcott
CG/VFX Artist / Director
Calgary, Canada

sweet!

can you post the result regardless just so i can see what happens.

hopefully works for you. i can only stare at code for so long until i start getting strange ideas...

Darren

Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #319
PartiallyFrozen
Frequenter

portfolio
Mark Theriault
San Francisco, United States

Send a message via AIM to PartiallyFrozen
FumeFX to Krakatoa Siggraph Demo

I wanted to show (just incase others missed siggraph like I did) a demo that I made for the Frantic Films booth. It is using fume to drive the particles and then Krakatoa to render it. It's actually only using 8 million particles. It can go WAY higher if you want.

Enjoy.

Mark Theriault

Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #320
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
nice one! reminds me of that early demo with the Mini

position object with a deflector to trigger the dispersion and a cached fume burning plane as movement driver?

kind regards,
anselm

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #321
draven5494

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub227
I wanted to show (just incase others missed siggraph like I did) a demo that I made for the Frantic Films booth. It is using fume to drive the particles and then Krakatoa to render it. It's actually only using 8 million particles. It can go WAY higher if you want.

Enjoy.

Mark Theriault

Mark, that was amazing! I was wondering if you could give a little more detail on how you accomplished that. Very impressive!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #322
joconnell
Idiot
John O'Connell
tea maker / drinker
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by depleteD

dont have that codec

BlueGriffin- keep at it grab refrence Multiple scattering is the effect of fire emitting light through the smoke and the smoke lighting the smoke if that makes sense. Kind of like a sub surface effect not sure how it behaves with other lights if it does at all. I will ahve to check the manual

wildstormfilms- a 3 k grid is massive, i try to stay below 300x300x300

The grid size is really important to get the behaviour working correctly - it's the cell spacing that causes the issues, not the grid width height and length.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #323
PartiallyFrozen
Frequenter

portfolio
Mark Theriault

Nice Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSilence
nice one! reminds me of that early demo with the Mini

position object with a deflector to trigger the dispersion and a cached fume burning plane as movement driver?

kind regards,
anselm

NICE CATCH! haha thats EXACTLY how it's done. It is infact exactly how the mini was done. I just really wanted to try and bring fume motion into the effect. Previously we were just using a wind force and lets all face it Fume = Pretty .

Mark

Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #324
depleteD
FX Artist

portfolio
Andrew Melnychuk-Oseen
Cinematics Artist
Blizzard Cinematics Dept
Laguna Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to depleteD
awesome work Mark.
did you need a big fume grid to work with that? Or krakatoa partitioning it fill in detail?
I'm trying to push krak here at blur. Want that thing so bad.

Quote:
The grid size is really important to get the behaviour working correctly - it's the cell spacing that causes the issues, not the grid width height and length.

yea thats what I meant, adjust the spaceing so its below 300 cubed, thx for clarifying tho

-Andrew

Last edited by depleteD : 08-15-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #325
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub227

Enjoy.

Mark Theriault

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing with us unfortunate souls that were unable to attend

Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #326
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

@joconnell
Sweeet job on that Coor's Light "The Snow" ad (Stash 35) Glad to see all that Fume work came together. Avalanches look great... Cheers!
Did you do the snow folks too? Kinda resembled the work you did on the Guinness ad.

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 08-15-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #327
PartiallyFrozen
Frequenter

portfolio
Mark Theriault

Not to big..

Quote:
Originally Posted by depleteD
awesome work Mark.
did you need a big fume grid to work with that? Or krakatoa partitioning it fill in detail?
I'm trying to push krak here at blur. Want that thing so bad.

yea thats what I meant, adjust the spaceing so its below 300 cubed, thx for clarifying tho

-Andrew

It was a very fast sim actually I think i was using a 2.5 spacing on a very LONG grid. The sim wasn't that intense actually (I think it took close to 45 min to sim). I wanted it to be loose in a way. And i actually didnt partition at all. Just straight up 8 million into the birth when i was birthing to the object.

Krakatoa really is a tool to have. It can be used for so many things. Its WELL worth the cost...which isn't expensive at all.

Mark

Old 08-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #328
monkeydonut
Veteran

Hi there,
I've been playing with the fume demo for a little while and I could use a pointer as the tutorials are not great :P

I'm trying to simulate a fast burst of low density smoke from the muzzle of a LAW rocket launcher. The shot takes place in slow motion to complicate matters (thus I am playing with the time scale at 0.1-0.5 so far)

What I'm currently doing is positioning a simple source inside the proxy launch tube, and then having it emit smoke. I am not simulating fuel or fire. The idea is that I ramp up the smoke density and turbulence and have it emit with a fast directional / radial velocity, then ramp down the smoke density at the emitter and the turbulence also. i.e. it emits a large amount of smoke quickly and dies to zero.

The problem comes with trying to get a very fast initial expansion from the muzzle and then a fast relaxation into a slower flow (perhaps using velocity damping). If I was doing a regular explosion I would simply be able to use the fuel expansion setting, but as the emitter is only emitting smoke it seems I am limited to just increasing the smoke density at the emitter -> higher pressure in tube -> faster ejection. But of course I want low density smoke not thick afterburn looking stuff.

At the moment I can get the smoke to shoot out in a turbulent stream, but not to expand a great deal radially outside the muzzle. I.e. it's a flamethrower type of action, where as I'm looking for more of a radial expansion outside the muzzle. Do the smoke diffusion settings have any bearing on this at all, the help document is not particularly in depth on this? Perhaps I should move my emitter closer to the mouth of the tube (currently 1/4 tube length back from muzzle)?

Any ideas on whether I'm missing something here? I am able to post the scene file when I get home.

Thanks
Alex Gingell

Last edited by monkeydonut : 08-16-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #329
darrennorthcott
what the hell is '3D'?

portfolio
Darren Northcott
CG/VFX Artist / Director
Calgary, Canada

Try checking the 'fuel produces smoke' checkbox. then you might be able to animate the fuel to get what you are looking for.

cheers

Darren

Old 08-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #330
darrennorthcott
what the hell is '3D'?

portfolio
Darren Northcott
CG/VFX Artist / Director
Calgary, Canada

Here's a couple more quick test renders i did.

thisone is just a fast render, i used a small scale, hence the lack of detail in the smoke and fire

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bluegrif...lapse_test1.avi

this was just a small idea i had:

www.members.shaw.ca/bluegriffinstudios/vids/bullet_fall-fire1.avi

let me know what you think

cheers
Darren

Last edited by darrennorthcott : 08-16-2007 at 03:08 PM.

reply share thread