FumeFX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04 April 2007   #16
As far as the demo goes i wish it woulda just been a timed lic instead of not being able to save and so on. at the time it was casueing problems with my ab lic at work and casueing it not to work right so I eventually had to un install it. Now if we can get the magical mr mckay here to do a new dvd since it was released finally maybe we can could get a better understanding of it.
__________________
Jeremy Kendall current reel https://vimeo.com/84552621

Last edited by feldy : 11 November 2009 at 05:50 PM.
 
Old 04 April 2007   #17
Originally Posted by jigu: Thanks for the info.so at the larger scale, for bigger and thicker smoke puffs/ explosions, AB is cool and for smaller scale fumefx could be good.


Absolutely correct here guys! --I've been trying to do a big explosion for days and it acts like it's a small explosion anyway, there's A LOT of tweaking involved to get it right... or even close for that matter.

PS: I would love to do some tutorials soon... hopefully better than the ones that fume came with. I feel like I"m getting a much better understanding of it now that I'm working with it daily.
__________________
http://www.fx-td.com
 
Old 04 April 2007   #18
Originally Posted by Cryptite:
@TimWoods: I included a link to CGFluids on my initial post just for that reason. I understand it has a lot more valuable information, but more public threads like these, in my opinion, can stem interest in a plugin because people can see the kind of work being done with it. The CGFluids community, while valuable, is totally private to Fume FX users only, and even though there's a gallery to the public on the forums, they rarely showcase much. The Afterburn thread worked in the same way, I know a couple people who actually purchased it after seeing more in-depth look at how it works and what it does. At any rate, i'll be more informative about that link so that others know more about it.


sure. I know what you mean. info about the product is in short supply. Sorry to sound like i'm always going on about it, LOL, but just trying to get more people posting on there. Keep this one going tho.

as for large scale stuff. fume can do well there too. much more realistic, but as mentioned it depends on your setup really. RAM and sim times are all a factor.

Originally Posted by SoLiTuDe: I love the idea of this thread... the cgfluids forum is great and has helped me tons, but cgtalk is my home I'll glady post up help and all sorts of stuff up here as soon as I get a break at work. Woody is the man just so you all know -- majorly smart!


i would disagree on that point, the dude is an ass!
__________________
3D Generalist

 
Old 04 April 2007   #19
Originally Posted by TimWoods: as for large scale stuff. fume can do well there too. much more realistic, but as mentioned it depends on your setup really. RAM and sim times are all a factor.


Agreed. I've been tackling large-scale stuff recently. It's definitely a load on my cpu, but Fume is doing quite nicely. I'm especially trying to the kind of stuff i'd normally do in AB; thick smoke, large explosions and the like. My computer is, however, less than happy with me.

I will say that there is thing i'm kind of annoyed with regarding Fume, and it's how the small tweaking of one setting can send your simulation off into oblivion. Almost too many settings that rely on each other to be proportional to get what you want in my opinion.
__________________
Solitude: $.changethe****ingstartframe = 1600
Solitude: fun fact: that's the script for everything

Last edited by Cryptite : 04 April 2007 at 05:39 PM.
 
Old 04 April 2007   #20
yeah. you need lots of RAM and lots of patience. but the effects are worth it. One rule of thumb I always work to is not letting my grid reach more than 1000 cubic, so 300x300x300. it seems like thats the golden number for me with a full 4gb of RAM. A nice idea would be a RAM usuage estimator, I have asked if that could be implimented. To give an idea before you hit go.

yes the tweaking of settings is painful, another thing is quality, that really effects the sim effect. smoke only, with low quality moves alot, crank the quality and grid size up, it moves alot slower. So simmin with low settings to get an idea is a pain, as the final outcome is alot different in many cases.
__________________
3D Generalist

 
Old 04 April 2007   #21
Originally Posted by Cryptite: Agreed. I've been tackling large-scale stuff recently. It's definitely a load on my cpu, but Fume is doing quite nicely. I'm especially trying to the kind of stuff i'd normally do in AB; thick smoke, large explosions and the like. My computer is, however, less than happy with me.

I will say that there is thing i'm kind of annoyed with regarding Fume, and it's how the small tweaking of one setting can send your simulation off into oblivion. Almost too many settings that rely on each other to be proportional to get what you want in my opinion.


Quoted for full agreement.
__________________
http://www.fx-td.com
 
Old 04 April 2007   #22
Originally Posted by TimWoods: yeah. you need lots of RAM and lots of patience. but the effects are worth it. One rule of thumb I always work to is not letting my grid reach more than 1000 cubic, so 300x300x300. it seems like thats the golden number for me with a full 4gb of RAM. A nice idea would be a RAM usuage estimator, I have asked if that could be implimented. To give an idea before you hit go.


That's a good idea. I'm unfortunately working on 2gb RAM and a 1 core processor (3.2ghz), and not as much patience . However, I have a ton of x-mas money saved and a birthday coming up, so i'm doing a rather huge cpu upgrade this summer. That RAM thing would be wonderful.
__________________
Solitude: $.changethe****ingstartframe = 1600
Solitude: fun fact: that's the script for everything
 
Old 04 April 2007   #23
Thought i'd post this random screengrab. I think this might actually be the longest render i've had yet on any fume shot (4m29s). But I guess once you actually ramp up the settings to get the detail, patience is the part that kicks in.


I find myself constantly using the preset manager so i can import bits of other fume presets i've made, always switchin stuff in and out. It's a handy little feature.
__________________
Solitude: $.changethe****ingstartframe = 1600
Solitude: fun fact: that's the script for everything
 
Old 04 April 2007   #24
looks sweet! woody posted some nice scenes quite similar to your scene grab.

gotta love presets! i´m the preset nazi especially for flows.
 
Old 04 April 2007   #25
Originally Posted by SoLiTuDe:
PS: I would love to do some tutorials soon... hopefully better than the ones that fume came with. I feel like I"m getting a much better understanding of it now that I'm working with it daily.


Yeeeeah make them please...
Fume requires patience and kills your machine for a lot of time you could be doing something cool... but it's worth it i guess
 
Old 04 April 2007   #26
Originally Posted by zglows: Yeeeeah make them please...
Fume requires patience and kills your machine for a lot of time you could be doing something cool... but it's worth it i guess


Simtime = sleeptime

overnights the only way to go, when it takes longer than a night, pause the sim, works on something else, end of the day, reload the scene and continue the sim

THAT is of course assuming one ever goes to sleep
__________________
poof ~>Vimeo<~
 
Old 04 April 2007   #27
Definitely. Work on your sim, get it how you like it on low-quality settings. Ramp up the sim precision and quality and let it run overnight. Let simmer for a few hours, come back for wonderful results!
__________________
Solitude: $.changethe****ingstartframe = 1600
Solitude: fun fact: that's the script for everything
 
Old 04 April 2007   #28
Oh dear double post. Looks like it really is time for me to go to bed... Too much Fume for me today.
__________________
Solitude: $.changethe****ingstartframe = 1600
Solitude: fun fact: that's the script for everything
 
Old 04 April 2007   #29
Originally Posted by Cryptite: Definitely. Work on your sim, get it how you like it on low-quality settings. Ramp up the sim precision and quality and let it run overnight. Let simmer for a few hours, come back for wonderful results!


One problem i've come across is that when using particles as a source the size is very dependent on the grid size that you use...hence creating some wierd issues with using low quality grids with particle sources. I find that(depending on what I need) using a lot of smaller particles as sources will work better than few with larger radii, but then I need to use a small grid size for it to work -- and that kills my sim times.
__________________
http://www.fx-td.com
 
Old 04 April 2007   #30
though i have one question : there are many plugins which do fluid stuff in 3ds max.. one thing is common that all needs to run simulation to generate fluid motion from their own particle system. so is there any specific approach that fluid application uses their own particle system and needed to run simulation? Is it becoz of pflow doesn't have operator which can simulate fluid motion or is it becoz of deflectors or spacewarps limitation?
please excuse me if this question sounds dumb!
__________________
www.jhjariwala.com
Demoreel 2012
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.