Mental Ray - Render Troubleshooting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2007   #46
does mr sun &sky work with other map for the environement besides the mr_sky environememt??
cuz if i use other map ,like a hdri,the reflections look strange ,they change colour,and ive tryed changing settings for the logarithmic exp control,used mia_esp simple and sll the same..
thanks!!

Old 04 April 2007   #47
I am having a problem with Mental ray. I am rendering a scene with a mr spotlight and a huge iceberg around 190400 poly's and having this error.

" MEM 0.2 fatal 031008: can't allocate 3120 bytes " and it closes the application everytime.

Even though i have not given GI and Final gather in the scene. I don't know how to get rid of this problem so thought of posting it here. May be someone of you could help.

Old 04 April 2007   #48
Originally Posted by rebolt: I am having a problem with Mental ray. I am rendering a scene with a mr spotlight and a huge iceberg around 190400 poly's and having this error.

" MEM 0.2 fatal 031008: can't allocate 3120 bytes " and it closes the application everytime.

Even though i have not given GI and Final gather in the scene. I don't know how to get rid of this problem so thought of posting it here. May be someone of you could help.

how much RAM do u have? u said u r rendering huge iceberg with lots of polys. i guess u might be using displacement mapping too. try to render scene without any lights. and also assign default standard white material to all object in the scene and then render the scene.

Old 04 April 2007   #49
I have 2gb of RAM. Right now i have only given noise to the iceberg to look it more randomly
and realistic in properties. I have used Mentalray SSS skin shader + Displace to give that scattering effect through the ice. I'll try what u said.

Old 04 April 2007   #50
If you are using max there's a check box called "Conserve Memory" in the Process tab (I think). It might help if you check that and maybe the mental ray map something or other check box. Good luck!

Old 06 June 2007   #51
FG maps getting huge??

Hi

so I've had some problems rendering sequences, it seems that when the FG maps reaches a certain size mr/manager behaves a bit odd, just did a test with one sequence where FG is already calculated and did some minor corr on anim, anyway sequence was network submitted for render from frm 76-150 with read only on FG, sat back and watched what happend, scene loaded and mr returned a memory load error, the already calculated FG is about 108Mb, now how does these FG maps hit memory when loaded? are they compressed in any way? I've been getting a lot of network render issues lately and I'm beginning to suspect that Xp-32bit has reached is potential memory wise because of large FG maps(and large just about anything else in scenes, geometry, maps etc etc), I've cranked FG up from low/med to high for final render and that seems to be just over the top for my system, any comments/thoughts on this highly welcome,

cheers,

k.

Old 08 August 2007   #52
Hi, I am having problems with mental ray and logarithmic exposure control with the fast SSS skin shader, every time i use it with mr sun and mr sky with the mr sky backround it turns the skin absolute black with a few traces of blue and such, can anybody point me in the right direction to fix this? attached image:

Old 08 August 2007   #53
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=459889

Old 08 August 2007   #54
Shellac or not Shellac in Mental Ray Render Elements ?

Hi to all, I'm new in Mental Ray and I have a problem

I have a teapot with a Shellac Materia assing to it. This material is a more or les a Car Paint Material. A color in the Base and a Raytrace in the Top Material. The Raytrace is full Reflect and difuse very dark. Then Shellac mix amount is 10 %. (little reflections)

I have othes primitive in the scene that are reflected on the teapot. I have a mr area Light with soft shadows. No global Ilumitation.

Now when I render in mental everything is all right but when I want to make a Render elements the Problems START !!

I want to render a Difuse Element and a Reflection Element and what happend ? ?

Teapot reflection is full of reflections and Teapot Difuse is BLACK ! ! WHY ? ? ?

When I do the same render in Scanline evething is fine. Teapot is Blue like the Base Shellac Material.

Note: For see the complete scene fine like before I enable the Renders Elements I most Check in the Progressing Tab / Render Element / Checkbox Render Final Image.

What is my problem ?, I most do in this case a Difuse pass in scaline and all other in Mental ray ? ? I'm I am becoming crazy !

Please HELP ME

atd3d

Edit: With Shellac mix amount 1 % is still BLACK. With 0 % everithing is fine. AGAI HELP ME !

Last edited by atd : 08 August 2007 at 10:12 PM.

Old 08 August 2007   #55
Question No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get distributed bucket rendering enabled on our farm. We have max installed on all render boxes, and I've opened the port (7504) on the box I'm testing this on. For troubleshooting purposes, I also added the two mr .exe files in the satellite folder to the firewall exceptions.

However, I'm still getting this error when I attempt to render:

MSG 0.0 error 011229: could not connect to host:port Render64-1:7504 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
MSG 0.0 error 011706: cannot add host Render64-1:7504

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

FYI, the render machines are Vista 64 with Max 64 installed, although the mr service that's running is a 32-bit process.

jf

Old 09 September 2007   #56
Sun/Sky comping trees with haze

Hi,

I'm rendering a v. high poly scene and have had to split it into 2 with the background on one pass and a lot of trees on the other.

Is there any way to have the haze not affect the background for the tree pass (still affects the trees though)?

Normally when I comp, the layer is rendered against black and set to premultiplied with black in combustion. Now because the haze is on the b/g layer, I get a varying colour and it's hard to remove the fringing.

I've got the mr sky in the lens shader slot, but there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off for the background (like you can for standard fog)

Any ideas for a good solution to this?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09 September 2007   #57
If you turn off the "Aerial Perspective" option on both the physical sky in the environment background as well as on the mrSky settings, that should do it.

Old 09 September 2007   #58
OK, thanks Jeff - I'll give that a go.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 09 September 2007   #59
Originally Posted by jellyfish: Hi guys,

I'm trying to get distributed bucket rendering enabled on our farm. We have max installed on all render boxes, and I've opened the port (7504) on the box I'm testing this on. For troubleshooting purposes, I also added the two mr .exe files in the satellite folder to the firewall exceptions.

However, I'm still getting this error when I attempt to render:

MSG 0.0 error 011229: could not connect to hostort Render64-1:7504 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
MSG 0.0 error 011706: cannot add host Render64-1:7504

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

FYI, the render machines are Vista 64 with Max 64 installed, although the mr service that's running is a 32-bit process.

jf

I getting exactly the same problem, with exactly the same setup - did you ever work out what was going wrong jellyfish?

I've turned off UAC as that seemed to be going crazy anyway, and was a total pain, also opened the correct port in the firewall for Vista 64 too, but it didn't seem to make any difference

Old 10 October 2007   #60
Originally Posted by rebolt: I am having a problem with Mental ray. I am rendering a scene with a mr spotlight and a huge iceberg around 190400 poly's and having this error.

you could try submitting the renders to your local renderfarm(by that I mean your own PC, you have to set up teh render manager backburner and sofort), I have used this with sucess when I have run out of memory(still on 32bit OS), you will have more physical ram for render via local renderfarm then when max itself is running and doing the render due to practically none overhead RAM consumption,

cheers,

k.

reply share thread