Afterburn

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2005
trancparent bubbles even in alpha :(

hy zed you wrote "did some testing and found that using AB Shadow maps got rid of the transparent bubbles."

what where your exact settings? i did a try after allen´s fabulouse video tutorial about an afterburn fireball. but i allways get fat spheres with errors (AB Viewport Spheres visible final alpha, little color spots).

Thanks in advance

PsychoSilence

08 August 2005
Hi there PS

Yeah i have brought a number of allan's disks on PF and AB, they all a great material BUT i still get alot of unexpected outcomes. Like my last post i did a fog scene based on AMckay teachings and it was looking exactly how i wanted, then half way into the render
(have a look at the picture) for some reason it looks like AB is having trouble with transparencies. I can fix it with some playing around but i dont know why these things are happening and i would like to know WHY. I just like to have a good understanding on the tools i work with and when things like this happen then i get frustrated cause i dont really know why it happens. Are u able to post a picture of the effect so i can know exactly what the problem is, Does the problem look like the Pictures i have posted with the dust.
If you are unable to (restrictions), then try playing with the shadow map Params.

Let me know how it goes...

08 August 2005
Maybe try to use "AB Raytracing Shadows"....

08 August 2005
thanks

thanks for the quick reply! i will give it a try soon.

psycho

08 August 2005
Dust

In not forgetting our dear friend saghost who sits honorably at the head of this thread, who, asked a simple question ... "could some one tell me how important is :" everything in Afterburn, here's a post on dust. Like saghost, I sit with a fork in one hand and a spoon in the other, waiting to dig in to juicy Afterburn daemons, cut open a hypersolid just to see what's inside. So, with a toast to saghost, I throw more stuff on the plate. Let's make dust.

This is what you get if you just add shadows to Afterburn.

For the image below I changed to the Octane shader. You can tell by the lower amount
of detail in the puffs.
The Low Value for the Gain and Bias will effect particles that are the closest to the emitter, (set to ED).
The Hi Value for the Gain and Bias will effect particles that are the farthest away from the emitter. The two settings, Low and Hi ,are blended together by the AFC. You can change timing of the blend by adjusting the curves within the AFC.

For the render below I increased the radius of each particle. This filled the scene up a little more.
I changed the setting for Squash. Squash is great for dust. It can give that nice dust rising or falling effect.
So does Auto Stretch. You can match Auto Stretch with the particle velocity. When the particle slows down the stretch lessens making the animation more believable.

The image below is just so show that you can have very few particles and still get a lot of dust. Just 8 particles in the image below.

frankco

Last edited by frankco : 08 August 2005 at 02:03 AM.

08 August 2005
sweet frankco... you da man thanks for the info =)

08 August 2005
I havn't touch AB in a while :-) but I will touch it now :-)thanks for some VISUAL FRANKCO

08 August 2005
Thanks for the input

Hey saghost,

Thanks for the input on the bunker smoke. I agree with you. It doesn't look much like the original shot. (colors and movement). I'm still trying to find the best way to reproduce the way the dirt splatters out. Once I get that down, I'll adjust the colors for a better match.

I'm playing with animating the movement of the PF sources. Using them as actual pieces that fly through the air, leaving dust trails behind them. The results so far are promising. I'll post some renders when I get more of the look.

I'll bet there is a better way to do this. Maybe scripting?

Hi Allan M,

I was reading through the posts again and must have misted your part on the bridge. MAN, I'd love some feedback from you! Especially if you have any ideas on how to control the movement of particles. Wind, drag and speed variation are okay but, you never can predict where the particles will end up. It's more of a guessing game.

I saw an article on "Thinking Particles". It sounds expensive but, from what I understand, it gives you more control on each particle. It would be nice to figure out how to do that with AB.

Thanks all
frankco

I had to add this after checking Allan McKay's site for any new tutorials.

Allan

You'r new reel rocks! Your work is amazing man.

http://www.allanmckay.com

Last edited by frankco : 08 August 2005 at 09:54 PM.

08 August 2005
Hey frankco: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...75&postcount=36 That's what allan will tell you. I'm sure you'll be able to get it look how you want before ya know it. It looks to me like there is too many particles with spawned trails or something... i'd say try just making less particles, but bigger with a stretching set to part. velocity in the afterburn rollouts. Also... they should be much darker. I really need to find time to work on aburn as well -- maybe i'll just copy you and do the same one...

08 August 2005
Hey solitude,

Thanks for link although, I'm not sure if it brought me to where you wanted me to go. It goes to a dissussion on TP or something.

I've be following the awsome PF thread here on cgsociety and, it seems that's what I need to lean more of. There's a lot of good info in the thread.

I was watching a NOVA, (public TV), series called Origins the other night and it had a lot of cg explosions on there that looked awsome. Great dirt splatters, nice firey explosions, volcanos ... really cool stuff. It was all cg. Some of the best stuff I've seen anywhere. So, I know it can be done. I just want to do it to that level.

All of the dirst splatters on NOVA had many points of material flying out leaving dust trails. The Bunker video has somewhat of the same thing, clumps and particles spreading out with a growing thick dust trails behind. Generating that in PF first, is what I need to do.

Man, that would be great if you did the same thing. I'd love to see what you come up with!

frankco

08 August 2005
hey... that link shoulda just been a quote from allan about tp... actually earlier in this thread I think.

Anywho, I was wondering if you could hook it up with a copy of your file/what you have so far so i don't have to re-do the geometry n stuff myself... cause i'm lazy. I don't need the particles.. that's the part I wanna do by myself hehe

09 September 2005
Hello guys,
i've try to create some clouds test with afterburn, everything to seems ok, but when i try to render animation, i have a little flickering on contours of the clouds. Maybe someone can help me with this???

09 September 2005
Realistic Dust *trail* w/ Afterburn -help please

I was told that my post would be better on this thread, so here goes.

My original Post from another message ----

Realistic Dust *trail* w/ Afterburn - Tutorial??
I am trying to create a realist dust trail with 3DS Max and Afterburn. I have been working on it for a few days and cannot get the effect I am looking for, which is a large vehicle traveling around 20mph... I have also tried to studying video footage of various vehicles with dust.

Are there any good tutorials available? Anyone have any suggestions or samples I can look at?

Basically I am using superspray particles. I have also attempted to use blizzard particles.

any suggestions are welcome. I am using Max 5 because the rest of the people in my group are using 5, but I have max 6 and 7 available.

thanks in advance for your help.
Michelle

09 September 2005
damn... I really wish I had some extra time to open up max and really help you guys out. They decided to fire my supervisor a few weeks ago and expect me to work more now... bastards. Anyway -- clouds... maybe play (increase rendertimes) with the step size and falloff sizes? Also make it so the density falloff is linear (or something like that), so the edges of each particle fades off towards the edges. Damn those clouds look good!

Dust -- don't know of any tutorials... the main thing is that it would be hard to find something exactly for that. If you can get the particle motion right, I would suggest following a few of the tutorials at 3dluvr.com in case you haven't seen them yet (by allan mckay) and just change a lot of it to meet your needs.. ie changing the colors, and changing the noise sizes, and ignoring his part about lighting as it probalby won't apply to dust (if following his explosion tut). I would say look at as many car commercials as possible too when doing this to see if you can't match it closely also. You could also email allan (allanmckay.com), as he's cool about getting back to people -- he's got a very good (exagerated) example of something that would be similar in his demo reel.

Edit: oh yeah -- of course check out the example files that come with it!

Post what you've go so far and maybe we can add some suggestions as to what is or isn't working.

Good luck!

Last edited by SoLiTuDe : 09 September 2005 at 06:48 AM.

09 September 2005
Thanks SoLiTuDe,
i will try, but these clouds rendering time is about 4min, not wish to be lost quick rendering...

psxchelly -->> goto www.i-flush.com and look for a video tutorials!

reply share thread