TP Conditional Expressions Help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
TP Conditional Expressions Help

I'm practicing all of the fun I can have with TP's expression node. It's not that it's new to me, but Conditional Expressions are. I'm starting off really basic, just to understand the concept. I am hung up on only one thing which is how to say something is I guess "true" or "fulfilled".

For example, the expression I'm trying to write is something that says "if a particle's velocity exceeds x velocity, then it's true/fulfilled and now go into the group that it's wired to". I know there is already a Condition threshold, but I'm using this for practice.

The problem I'm having is that I'm confused as to how I would write this in the expression. I'm looking at Max's Conditional Functions Reference, but it's still not making sense.

On my first go I wrote "if(v1 > p) then(p=o)"
v1 = particle velocity
p = float value
o = true output

I know this is incorrect because it doesn't work but I hope you can see my logic in writing it this way. My general thinking is correct, but I'm confused as to how to execute it. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

04 April 2013
if you're using speed (scalar) then
if(speed > threshold, 1, 0)

will be enough, where "speed" and "threshold" are scalar inputs and you have 1 scalar output.

you can use velocity:
if(length(vel) > threshold, 1, 0)

where "vel" is vector input and "threshold" - scalar and you have 1 scalar output

But it will be faster to calculate length of velocity via nodes.

04 April 2013
Thumbs up

Awesome, this works So I seem to have been floating around the right idea. I'm a bit confused as to the "1,0" part of the expression. My basic understanding is 1 is on 0 is off. I guess what I mean is that:

if the vector length is greater than the threshold, what does the 1 and 0 add to the expression? I'm looking through the documentation but can't seem to find an obvious answer. :/

Thank you for all the help by the way

***UPDATE****
So after some digging, it seems using the 1,0 is called a "ternary operator". If the thing is true the return is 1 else it's 0.

now to figure out how to write it out long form.

Last edited by mstarktv : 04 April 2013 at 07:35 PM.

04 April 2013
Yes, it's just if-then-else but using different statement - if(condition, use this if evaluates to true, otherwise). You can use several nested if needed.

All these expressions are the same as in expression controllers (except for some time variables - tp has it's own Time variable)

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread