mstarktv
Frequenter

portfolio
Michael Stark
FX artist
Pixomondo
USA

TP Texture not updating on cache?

This is borderline infuriating at the moment. I'm using TP5, and having a texture map displace the Z position of a particle. All works fine, HOWEVER, when I go to cache it or even render a frame it is not reading the updated texture info.

I'm using an image sequence. As I move forward in the timeline I can see the plane update the texture but the positions of the particles won't update unless I force a viewport material update. Then the particles will snap into position. But, when I go to render a frame, it will only reference the 1st frame in the texture image sequence.

I did extend my timeline and change my framerate, but I updated my substeps to match the file. I'm wondering there is anything I'm overlooking as I just need that to work before I can render my frames out.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
3ak
Know-it-All

You're lucky cause texmap node doesn't work at all for me in tp5 and works just fine in tp4.
Could you please check simple scene attached? Do you have point Z pos altered?

i'm using tp 5.2.0

thanks

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46208032/texmapProblem.max

p.s. Don't you know how can i reach support to submit bugs?

EDIT: i've found its tp 5.2 issue. tp 5.1.1 texmap node works fine.

Last edited by 3ak : 03-20-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
mstarktv
Frequenter

portfolio
Michael Stark
FX artist
Pixomondo
USA

I'm on 5.1.1 and it's not working. I just did a restart and I'm having the same problems.

It's not that it's not working per-se, it's just not updating the animated image sequence as far as TP is concerned. For example, The material is applied to a plane, and I can see that the image sequence is advancing - but TP is ignoring the sequence.

Is there a way to force TP to look at the color vales on every frame?

***I also just sent Cebas an email from their contact info on the site. Still waiting for a reply, but also sending emails at work to see if I can get questions answered***

Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
mstarktv
Frequenter

portfolio
Michael Stark
FX artist
Pixomondo
USA

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstarktv
I'm on 5.1.1 and it's not working. I just did a restart and I'm having the same problems.

It's not that it's not working per-se, it's just not updating the animated image sequence as far as TP is concerned. For example, The material is applied to a plane, and I can see that the image sequence is advancing - but TP is ignoring the sequence.

Is there a way to force TP to look at the color vales on every frame?

***I also just sent Cebas an email from their contact info on the site. Still waiting for a reply, but also sending emails at work to see if I can get questions answered***

******Solved******
So I found the problem. I guess it came down to TP's logic. I was using the Texmap from a flow that was connected to a PositionBorn Operator. This always seems to cause problems for me using TP and I have to remember it from doing it often . If it doesn't work using the PositionBorn then try putting it into a new group using the PPass of those born particles.

Which is exactly what I did. I copied the entire flow from the first group, leaving nothing but a "PositionBorn Op" then re-hooked everything to the PPass. Now it works

Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
MKabesh
Frequenter
portfolio
Mariam Kabesh
cebas Visual Technology Inc.
Victoria, Canada

Hi All!

We will try to provide our users with a public medium to submit any potential bugs. Meanwhile, please feel free to share with us any questions or concerns on our forum:

https://www.cebas.com/forum/

All you need to do is register or sign in to your existing account - Response is usually instant

Cheers,
cebas Team

Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
mstarktv
Frequenter

portfolio
Michael Stark
FX artist
Pixomondo
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKabesh
Hi All!

We will try to provide our users with a public medium to submit any potential bugs. Meanwhile, please feel free to share with us any questions or concerns on our forum:

https://www.cebas.com/forum/

All you need to do is register or sign in to your existing account - Response is usually instant

Cheers,
cebas Team

Registration has been closed for about a year (at least when I last tried to register).

Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
MKabesh
Frequenter
portfolio
Mariam Kabesh
cebas Visual Technology Inc.
Victoria, Canada

Nope, not true. Please follow this link to register:

https://www.cebas.com/index.php?pid=registration

Regards,
cebas Team

Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
3ak
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstarktv
******Solved******
So I found the problem. I guess it came down to TP's logic. I was using the Texmap from a flow that was connected to a PositionBorn Operator. This always seems to cause problems for me using TP and I have to remember it from doing it often . If it doesn't work using the PositionBorn then try putting it into a new group using the PPass of those born particles.

Which is exactly what I did. I copied the entire flow from the first group, leaving nothing but a "PositionBorn Op" then re-hooked everything to the PPass. Now it works

Don't forget that if you connect something to generator (posborn, born etc...) it will execute only once per particle - at its birth.
So if you want particles to read some values from texture map every frame you need to create new dynset with Ppass node providing all the particles of the group EVERY frame.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
mstarktv
Frequenter

portfolio
Michael Stark
FX artist
Pixomondo
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ak
Don't forget that if you connect something to generator (posborn, born etc...) it will execute only once per particle - at its birth.
So if you want particles to read some values from texture map every frame you need to create new dynset with Ppass node providing all the particles of the group EVERY frame.

This was was I've been trying to remember. I could never put it into words. I always thought of it as "if it doesn't work in the Particle Birth Dynamicset then try a new one". I like your explanation waaaay better.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread