Krakatoa, Fume, Fading by Age

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Krakatoa, MagmaFlow

Hello All,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding Krakatoa & Fume on getting a fade by age setup going. My current workflow is the standard -

Fume>Pflow>100Partitions>PRT Loader

I have added in the delete node so that I get the Lifespan channel and set it to the full range of my sim so that I can control this as a post sim effect.

I've been looking at the following:-

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/kra...i ng_MagmaFlow

But getting bit stuck on a few things, how would I use this gradient generated so the particles start to fade off from the render - obviously they are still visible here - do I need to plug in some kind of opacity...

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question I feel it's stareing me in the face on that link....

Last edited by rusty149 : 03 March 2013 at 04:08 PM.

03 March 2013
Update!

I have actually got that working using the above link now, Which is great.

Obviously thats going to lead to everything fading off at once, I am looking to trying to provide some randomisation to this, Like the delete node in PFlow, add some varience over 20-30 frames.

If anyone has any ideas on this much appreicated!

Thanks in advance!

Rusty

03 March 2013
DoublePost, Below.

03 March 2013
Another little update,

I have set up a velocity Gradient that is working nicely and I can animate the Float value to Isolate some little wisps of smoke left here and there.

What I am struggling to do is plug this into the Density channel. I keep getting the error its expecting a 16float but I am putting in a 32....

Again advice welcomed!

Magma_Flow

03 March 2013
Your screenshot shows that you are actually attempting to output a Blend of two Vectors as float16. Vectors have three components (RGB, XYZ, UVW...), while Density is just one float value, like 1.0. So you have a few options:
*Output the result of the Magnitude node as Density. The value that is driving your Blend is already a float (hopefully between 0.0 and 1.0) and will work with the Density. You can also pass it through a Curve node to remap it as needed (see the original tutorial).
*Switch the two Vectors to Float inputs. So instead of blending colors, you will be blending floats. Makes little sense though, since the Blend factor is already the value you want. But technically it would not produce an error.
*Take the Magnitude of the Blend operator mixing the two Vectors. Makes even less sense, but would still fix the error...

I would suggest the first approach - connect the Magnitude node to the Density. Insert a Curve control if you want to do fancy remapping. Output the Blend to Color, Emission or something else that is a Vector (Arity:3) value, or delete the Blend part if you don't intend to use it...

03 March 2013
Hey Bobo,
Thankyou for the help that works really well, added in the curve to define the falloff!

NewFlow

Would it be possible to add in a falloff based on an area? So I can keep one area dense, and the other would start to break apart? I was looking at this example

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/kra...end_By_Velocity

Where he as a spherical Gizmo and defines the colour? I am going to have a look into this now!

Thanks again,

Rusty

Last edited by rusty149 : 03 March 2013 at 02:14 PM.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread