Thinkbox Stoke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Bobo: I don't agree.
PFlow is quite flexible, esp. in the context of Krakatoa particle clouds generation. I like working with PFlow very much, and it has the benefit of being available to every 3ds Max user. It has its drawbacks and slowdowns in some cases though, but I have no idea how you came up with "expel" in the context of Thinkbox products. PFlow tends to be the main source of data in our pipeline, and we even added several operators to extend it as part of the Krakatoa toolset.

As you can see from the Stoke videos, we are not excluding anything and attempting to integrate with everything, even with the pathetic particle systems introduced by Max 1.0 in 1996! The videos don't show TP integration, but Stoke (as well as all other Thinkbox products) supports TP already.

Our goal at this point is not to replace what is out there, but to plug in puzzle pieces into the existing picture to advance what people can do and make it easier, faster and more powerful.

We believe that every source of data is a valid source of data, including any Max particles, RealFlow and Naiad particles, LIDAR and Kinect scans, mesh vertices, surfaces and volumes, hair simulations, 3D fractals, texture maps and procedural field functions, FumeFX and Phoenix simulations, Max Space Warps, even pure text files. This belief is reflected in both Krakatoa, Frost, Ember and Stoke and we want to push for even tighter integration with some of these sources.

In the Webinar "The big picture" I showed a bunch of slides with various products and arrows criss-crossing between them hinting at all the different workflows that the combination of these tools allow. We also made sure to make the majority of the Krakatoa toolset freely available to everyone as the backbone of a more efficient data processing and caching pipeline. Some of our customers have found ways to use our products that we never envisioned, and for me that shows that the concept works.

You will not see us ever telling anyone that tool X is not a valid data source or target in the workflow. We also hope that every person or company purchasing a Thinkbox tool does so because it solves a problem or allows new workflows, not because of hype. I believe there is a target audience for both Ember and Stoke (which is, to a large extent, Ember Light). I know that power users and TDs might prefer the power and flexibility of Ember over the simplicity of Stoke, but I personally prefer to solve some problems with Stoke. I guess I am... stoked.

Somehow we got into a philosophical discussion. I am not sure why Stoke has this effect on people

eh eh...what matters is to have a tool to work better..Stoke seems to do it

02 February 2013
Stoke is very promising! A big benefit, from my point of view, is that it can be plugged at lots of places during the process, to create many additional elements to enrich an effect, quite quickly!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Bobo: We believe that every source of data is a valid source of data, including any Max particles, RealFlow and Naiad particles, LIDAR and Kinect scans, mesh vertices, surfaces and volumes, hair simulations, 3D fractals, texture maps and procedural field functions, FumeFX and Phoenix simulations, Max Space Warps, even pure text files. This belief is reflected in both Krakatoa, Frost, Ember and Stoke and we want to push for even tighter integration with some of these sources.

And these reasons are why I love Thinkbox as a company. On Beautiful Creatures, I was using Krakatoa, Frost, and Xmesh in conjunction with Pflow and TP all at the same time. I can't say more than that yet (boo) but access to the data of everything I threw at it gave us so much flexibility. Because of those reasons, it allowed us to think outside the box for solutions. And it was fast!

(I swear I don't work for Thinkbox)

03 March 2013
Amen! I had some fun times doing particle based displacement with Genome on the last project, very cool!

03 March 2013
Ok guys, the Stoke MX Beta is now officially announced, feel free to apply if you are interested:

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/new...ke-mx-beta.html

03 March 2013
Cool.

While you're here - I noticed that the trial of Krakatoa doesn't work for 2013 (I was going to use it with Frost) - any reason for that?

Thanks,

Steve

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Steve Green: Cool.

While you're here - I noticed that the trial of Krakatoa doesn't work for 2013 (I was going to use it with Frost) - any reason for that?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/kra...ds/builds-beta/

Also, Frost has a newer version 1.3.5 which can mesh Stoke objects directly:
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/fro.../beta-releases/

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Bobo: Ok guys, the Stoke MX Beta is now officially announced, feel free to apply if you are interested:

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/new...ke-mx-beta.html

Yessss! May no one ever have to use FumeFx Birth and Follow ever again

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Bobo: http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/kra...ds/builds-beta/

Also, Frost has a newer version 1.3.5 which can mesh Stoke objects directly:
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/fro.../beta-releases/

Great, thanks - didn't think to look there.

Cheers

Steve

03 March 2013
Impressed so far - I suspect it will fulfill needs that Ember might be overkill for my uses.

I do wonder if a Krakatoa lite would be worth considering in the same way that Stoke is a baby brother to Ember - restricted to 1280x720 or other restrictions?

Personally I don't do enough of that kind of work to justify Krakatoa, but something at the Frost price point with a route to the full version would be much more appealing.

Cheers

Steve

03 March 2013
I'm just curious how much money cost all Thinkbox pipeline with 3ds max
Similar stuff is accessible in Houdini with only 3ds max cost but with much more flexibility.
Anyway looks fun

Last edited by J-Bond : 03 March 2013 at 08:03 PM.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by J-Bond: I'm just curious how much money cost all Thinkbox pipeline with 3ds max
Similar stuff is accessible in Houdini with only max cost but with much more flexibility.
Anyway looks fun

I have brought this up a few times. I am guessing to say they are working on something.(I hope)

Throw a license/product manager in there too!

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: I have brought this up a few times. I am guessing to say they are working on something.(I hope)

Throw a license/product manager in there too!

When you say "They", do you mean autodesk or thinkbox?

03 March 2013
Bobo, enlighten me, does the name has anything to do with Navier-Stokes? Or is it just a coincidence? If yes, are you really using the special case equations (the volume is conserved = incompressible fluids) in Stokes? Solving Laplacians and stuff?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by davius: Bobo, enlighten me, does the name has anything to do with Navier-Stokes? Or is it just a coincidence? If yes, are you really using the special case equations (the volume is conserved = incompressible fluids) in Stokes? Solving Laplacians and stuff?

What fluid engine in market not use Navier-Stokes and work with compressible fluids?

Thread Closed share thread