Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
feat
Scout
portfolio
Tristan Matchett
Australia

Glu3D missing a bunch of .DLL files

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble getting Glu3D 'Classic' edition to load up with Max 2013.

After installation and upon launching Max I get this message:

"Error Loading Plug-in DLL

DLL <C:\Program Files
(x86)3Daliens.com\glu3D\bin\3dsMax2013_x64\glu3D.d lo> failed to initialize.
Error code 14001 - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

After a bit of searching I discovered the "Dependency Walker" application which helped me identify the issue that there are missing DLL files associated with the plug-in.

I have no idea where I could actually find the (13 or so) DLL files that Glu3D needs to function.

Has anyone been in this situation before and come to a resolution of the problem?

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

All I can say is I have never had any luck getting in touch with them. Their support sucks, bad.

Sorry I am no help, maybe PsychoSilence or JoeGunn will maybe drop by and be able give you something...

Has it even been compiled for 2013? (yet )

Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
kanenas
Scholar
portfolio
Terry Kanenas
Montreal, Canada

The 'classic' is only for 2012. It installs under it without even asking. Did you just copy the files under Max 2013?

You should get the GPU version for Max 2013.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
feat
Scout
portfolio
Tristan Matchett
Australia

Thanks Johnny, I am coming to the same conclusion. They just don't give a toss about their customer base.

kanenas - I actually contacted 3D Aliens regarding the classic version of Glu for Max 2013 and was informed that it had already been released and I just had to download the demo. So I did, and after installation I got the message that Glu3D had been installed for 3DS Max 2013.

This is where the problems began.

Following this I contacted 3D Aliens again and was told this time that I had to download and install a C++ Redist package which didn't help at all.

Wanting to resolve the problem I used "Dependency Walker" to find which DLL files the plugin needed to function and managed to find most of them on my system drive. Why Max doesn't find the required files I just don't know.

I could pursue this further but I really don't want to waste any more of my time. It's not my responsibility. I paid for the license and should receive adequate technical support.

I could just pay for the upgrade to the GPU edition but I havn't actually used Glu much in past releases so why should I fork out more cash knowing that the support is near non-existent?

Not meaning to dump on you guys but just not happy with the situation.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by feat : 12-23-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
kanenas
Scholar
portfolio
Terry Kanenas
Montreal, Canada

You're right to be upset and they should give you a hand.

You're also right about the 2013 support. I thought I had the latest version but they seem to like silent upgrades without updating their download page writeup.
v1.3.42 is the latest and it supports Max 2013.
For some reason it installs the plugin under the 3DAliens folder instead of within the Max plugins folder as it does for Max 2012.

I have both 2012 and 2013 installed on my test machine and the plugin works fine under both.
But I do have all kinds of VC Redistributables in this machine and this helps avoid problems like the one you have.

The problem seems to be some missing or incorrect installation of VC redist. I'd think what they told you to install would fix it but maybe the plugin depends on multiple versions of VC redist and you're missing some (or they are corrupted).

1. If you mention what files are missing, somebody might be able to tell which VC redist they belong to, in which case you just uninstall/reinstall it.

2. Open a Command Prompt and run SxsTrace.exe.
Look at its option, activate tracing/logging, Run Max/plugin, back to SxsTrace to stop the trace, parse the log to a readable form, look at the log file.
It might help pinpoint the culprit.

3. Make sure Windows is healthy.
Open a Command prompt again in administrator mode and run: sfc /scannow
(It might ask for your Windows installation DVD to be handy if something is needed).

4. Get back to the developers and ask details about the plugin's dependencies.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
wxyz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanenas
You're right to be upset and they should give you a hand.

You're also right about the 2013 support. I thought I had the latest version but they seem to like silent upgrades without updating their download page writeup.
v1.3.42 is the latest and it supports Max 2013.
For some reason it installs the plugin under the 3DAliens folder instead of within the Max plugins folder as it does for Max 2012.

I have both 2012 and 2013 installed on my test machine and the plugin works fine under both.
But I do have all kinds of VC Redistributables in this machine and this helps avoid problems like the one you have.

The problem seems to be some missing or incorrect installation of VC redist. I'd think what they told you to install would fix it but maybe the plugin depends on multiple versions of VC redist and you're missing some (or they are corrupted).

1. If you mention what files are missing, somebody might be able to tell which VC redist they belong to, in which case you just uninstall/reinstall it.

2. Open a Command Prompt and run SxsTrace.exe.
Look at its option, activate tracing/logging, Run Max/plugin, back to SxsTrace to stop the trace, parse the log to a readable form, look at the log file.
It might help pinpoint the culprit.

3. Make sure Windows is healthy.
Open a Command prompt again in administrator mode and run: sfc /scannow
(It might ask for your Windows installation DVD to be handy if something is needed).

4. Get back to the developers and ask details about the plugin's dependencies.

Good luck.
Where did you download version 13.42?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
feat
Scout
portfolio
Tristan Matchett
Australia

You can get it from the download section on the 3DAliens website.

The link on the page says it's v1.3.37 but the actual downloaded file is marked as v1.3.42.0

Regarding the issue of the original post, I have not had the time to pursue this any further but thanks to everyone for your input.

I still hope to get to the bottom of it somehow.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
feat
Scout
portfolio
Tristan Matchett
Australia

Ok guys I have made a little progress.

After uninstalling and re-installing the 32 and 64 bit versions of C++ 2008 redistributable pack I believe my system now has almost all .DLL files to run Glu3D in Max 2013, although it's hard to tell for sure if I even have the right versions of these files

The last troublemaker I can't find is a file named "OGSARCHIVE-3_0.DLL".

Has anyone heard of this file in Win 7? I have been searching the web for an explanation and the only results were from a Turkish page. The most I could understand from there is that it could be malware of some kind. I'm not accusing anyone from 3D Aliens of malicious intent but this is very strange.

I haven't tried out the "SxsTrace.exe" function but I think "Dependency Walker" is correctly showing the problem.

My system is otherwise in good health (no errors from sfc /scannow)

Does anyone actually use this software successfully in Max 2013 or am I chasing a lost cause?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
kanenas
Scholar
portfolio
Terry Kanenas
Montreal, Canada

In my system, it's not asking for any OGSARCHIVE dll.
No such file in my computer and I have a lot.

Make sure you pick up the installer from its site, to be on the safe side.
The plugin works fine in 3ds Max 2013 PU6 x64.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread