Gravity different between Rayfire 1.51 in Max 2011 and 1.58 in Max 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Gravity different between Rayfire 1.51 in Max 2011 and 1.58 in Max 2012

Hi all,

I have a Rayfire scene I originally made in Max 2011 with Rayfire 1.51. I now have to update it in Max 2012 with Rayfire 1.58. If I load and run the same scene in 2012 I discovered that the results are totally different. It looks like gravity is much much lower than it was before. I don't know why this is. All the settings look the same.

The scene is in metres as system units. It was before too. I haven't changed anything in the scene. It's just the version of max, the version of Rayfire and the version of PhysX that have changed. Gravity is still -9.81m in the physx options and 1 in Rayfire, but it seems to only nearly match what it was like before if I ramp it up to 20 or so times in the Rayfire options. Which is odd. If it was a scene scale issue, I'd expect it to be maybe 100 times different to go from cm to m. But 20 something doesn't seem to mean anything that I can think of.

If I don't know why it's different and what this difference means, it's going to be very difficult to get a close match.

Anyone have any idea what might have changed. And what the exact difference is?

Maybe it's not gravity at all, but something else like timescale not being the same (they are the same in both at 0.3 in each scene).

Thanks

Old 07 July 2012   #2
hmm that rings something in my memory ..
That something has to do with some things being locked to inches when dealing with MassFX/PhysX and 3ds Max. That's a pretty vague memory by myself thus i'm writing this as vague as possbile...
Do you get the correct results with the scene when bumping up gravity the corresponding factor by any chance ? That would be multiplying your gravity value by 39.37 ( 1 inch = 0,0254 meters, thus 1/0.0254 is about 39.37 )

Since Max 2012 does'nt have Havok anymore, Rayfire has to use Physx/MassFX, that's maybe the reason for the problem...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Sounds like a good lead. I remember when Reactor was around it having a bit in its options saying 1m = 0.254m or something equally absurd. Thanks Josef. I'll give it a go.

The scene was already using PhysX though, so I'm not sure why it would change from one version to another. But if that's it, that'll do the job.

And I'll add another entry to the list of things in max that don't work in metric units.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
Looks like you're right josef. The fragments are mostly on the floor at the same time in the old scene and the new one when I ramp gravity up to 39.37 times what it was before.

What a mess. Who's bug is that? Nvidia or Autodesk or Mir?

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. i'd have been at it all day at that rate.

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread