Mental Ray - Shaders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2003   #46
Object lights like these can be created using the glow (lume) shader and final gather.

Last edited by JeffPatton : 12 December 2003 at 05:54 PM.

Old 11 November 2003   #47
phisic glass wit transparent shadow?
(witout fakes?)

Old 11 November 2003   #48
I can't seem to get the edge shadow part to work either PENdzel. Still trying though.

Old 11 November 2003   #49
Faking SSS with Mental Ray

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/129

try that site

Old 12 December 2003   #50
Great work on the MR materials, been experimenting some with it afther this thread, and it really kicks.. I prefer FR tho.. Have any examples of Pearlecent Carpaint in MR ?

Old 12 December 2003   #51
Deetee, I'm trying to convert some brazil car paint materials over to MR. I will post them when they are complete.

Also, here's a link to some more MR materials. They are listed in the "downloads" section.

http://www.hivemindcreations.com/home.html

Old 12 December 2003   #52
mental ray is too slow, specially in SSS and finalgather, so how i can make a skin shader

Finished work:
Nokia N80
Nokia 6680
Sony PSP
XBox Complete Set
Nokia 2100
Nokia 7260

Old 12 December 2003   #53
hi guys

where should i put the HDRI file ???

i tried what folical9 said about his setting but nothing happend ? i dont know why ?

Old 12 December 2003   #54
it's me again

i traid to make render on folical9 file GLASS_SSS.MAX

firts it asked me for the HDRI file. i have some file so i can replace them, the proplem is i dont know where should i assing them.

second problem, i put the light and changed the setting as it's mention before.

look what i got

RCGI 0.2 error 361053: no photons stored after emitting 1000000 photons (canceling emission job)
RCGI 0.2 warn 362004: no photons stored after emitting 10000 photons

Last edited by Aljoker : 12 December 2003 at 04:47 AM.

Old 12 December 2003   #55
I cant find the Mental ray Connection rollout. Where is it exactly? Refering to step 5 in the 3dluvr tut. "Faking SSS with Mental Ray ".

Old 12 December 2003   #56
Im not an expert on this, byt i think it means your model is not complex enough for the amount of photons seleceted to be used. Try making the model more complex, and see if it will work then

Old 12 December 2003   #57
aljoker: We don't need all your 100 errors... just one of them is enough, So please edite your post with just one of the errors.
This thread is very useful for all of maxers... thanks for understanding.

To solve this problem you should decrease the number of photons.
because it is very high for this small scene...
Or create a great sphere beside your scene that you want to render (out of camera view).
This error will happen most of the time so you can solve them with above ways...

Old 12 December 2003   #58
aljoker,

The two HDRI files are available on the first page of this thread (if you want them). There's one small blurred HDRI that you should use for a light source (place it in the map slot for the skylight). Then a larger non-blurred HDRI file is used for the environment.

Also, on page two of this thread (second post) is an example scene using those HDRI's. You can download it and get a visual reference for placement of the HDRI's if needed.

In summary,

Small Blurred HDRI = Skylight map
Larger non-blurred HDRI = Environment map

Important:
Final Gather MUST be enabled in order for HDRI lighting to work within Mental Ray. This will also increase your render times.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by JeffPatton : 12 December 2003 at 02:21 PM.

Old 12 December 2003   #59
Rexxenexx,

It's at the very bottom of the material tree:

Old 12 December 2003   #60
You may need to go to the Customize, preferences, then go to the Mental Ray tab and turn on the button to enable mental ray extensions. This will allow you to see the Mental Ray connections tab.

Just to let you all know, this thread has answered hours of questions in under minuets. I have been stumbling through the help files in max 6 and cannot even find the words SSS. And also a big thanks to all who have shared files and spent there own time finding out all the settings and answers.

reply share thread