Mental Ray - Shaders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2003
Thanks for sharing m8! I tried to recreate the material with your instructions but I didn't even come close to your results. The object would always get totally blown out (white) and I did not manage to tone that down...

Last edited by rlph. : 11 November 2003 at 04:07 PM.

11 November 2003
No problem. If you guys get some neat renders, please post them so I can see!

Also, If you need the HDRI maps that I used in this scene, you can get them from this previous download:
HDRI scene

11 November 2003
Here's what the HDRI render looks like if you enable the skylight on the scene (render time 42 minutes 12 seconds on dual MP1600)

11 November 2003
folical9, Just Thanks for info and files...

Why mentalray(in max) is very different from mental ray in other 3d packages(I'm talking about sss) ???

11 November 2003

This is what I get when I render. It's at a slightly different angle, and I zoomed out to save render time. Looks almost identical to yours other than yours has a slight glow around it. Did you do any post-processing in your image?

Habitat1 : www.habitat1.com : A transitional creative analyzation of the state of humanity and its symbiosis with the environment in which it resides. Coming Soon.

Chaos breeds evolution

11 November 2003
Yes, I think it looks better with a bit of blurring done in photoshop. Thats what gives mine that soft glow. That was the only change though.

Looks like the same angle to me, but maybe I moved the perspective view a bit before I saved...I dont remember. Anyways, atleast it looks the same and now you have the material to play around with.

11 November 2003
Yes, I agree about it looking better with a soft glow. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something - or that max wasn't correctly reproducing the effect that you created. Thank you again for sharing that material, it will definitely be an inspiration and aid in complex material construction.

Habitat1 : www.habitat1.com : A transitional creative analyzation of the state of humanity and its symbiosis with the environment in which it resides. Coming Soon.

Chaos breeds evolution

11 November 2003
"Thank you again for sharing that material, it will definitely be an inspiration and aid in complex material construction. "

I'm just glad to be able to contribute something to a community that inspire's me almost everyday.

11 November 2003
Nice thread. Here is my try:

Under "Rendering Algorithms" in the "Renderer" tab I tried both normal and rapid for scanline. With normal selected time was 38mins 15secs, while with rapid selected render time was 1 hr 38mins 48 secs. I'm a vray user so I have no clue about tweaking MR, but I'm sure there are settings that are crazy tweakable. Maybe we can start with the AA settings? And yes, MR is not very well documented, niether is VRay but the ChaosGroup forum is great resource.

Last edited by Brim : 12 December 2003 at 06:54 PM.

11 November 2003
Thank you for posting your render times.

11 November 2003
I think I managed to get the same quality as your picture but at 12 min 50 sec.

Sorry about the crappy compression. I can assure you it looks a lot like yours without the compression.

I was going to upload the MAX file with the changes but I have no webspace. If you want I can send it to you.

My computer is an Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB RAM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photon_volume_yellow_test.jpg (18.2 KB, 3469 views)

11 November 2003
Matlock: WOW, thats great! What did you tweak to get the render time down that low?

11 November 2003
First of all, I tweaked everything in 5 minutes max. And while rendering I had Windows Media Player on and I was surfing aswell.
Secondly, I believe that you can tweak the settings even better.

This is what I remember doing.

Changing the lights caustic photons to 70000.
Renderer Tab
Samples per pixel: Min 1/4, Max 4
Bucket Width: 48
Max. Trace Depth: Refl 3, Refr 4, Sum 4
Indirect Illumination tab
Photons (Caustics & GI)
Samples: 100
Max. Trace Depth: Refl 3, Refr 2, Sum 5

This is what I remember going through and changing. I believe the biggest time savers are the Samples per pixel and the Max Trace Depth Settings. Hope that helps.

And thanks for posting your file. I hope you can see this as a reward.

11 November 2003
AWESOME! Thanks for the tips. I adjusted further and found that you can get by with only 35000 photons in the caustic paramaters of the spot light. By doing that and making the other changes you made, mine rendered in 6 minutes and 33 seconds.

THANKS!

11 November 2003
So the photons were the big time stealer. Nice work!

And I should be thanking you for posting your file. So, thank you.

reply share thread