Spectacular 3D Entry: Jim Heathcott

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Thanks for all the support peeps.

Originally Posted by DaddyMack: If I may tho, I'd suggest tweekin the corners of his eye... unless they're meant to protrude like that
Do you mean the eyeball or the lids? There are a couple of points I could pull back to round out the eyeball. The head and eyeball and teeth are all one mesh I think it helps give it that vinyl look. I am not super fussy, hell its a rubber toy, but I will fix it. edit --> (ok fixed now)

Originally Posted by yunisirees: hi soapy as stylish as ever! and pretty fast progression of modeling man! you must be thoroughly enjoying this! have fun mate!
Yeah I burned up my saturday, but I enjoyed it. Then sunday mapped out the textures in a couple hours. It is probably the fastest I have put together a model like this. I guess the speed modeling sessions on renderosity helped.

I had lots of inspiration for this little guy. Saturday morning my son and I listened to the song that inspired this model about 30 times. It was a big hit in the 1950's, it sold 3 million albums and something like 100 million singles or some such craziness. If this song gets in your head it will rot yer brain.

Still dont know this guy? more hints later.

Last edited by soapy : 09 September 2005 at 04:28 PM.

09 September 2005
er.."puff the magic dragon" perhaps?!

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by shakes: er.."puff the magic dragon" perhaps?!

Ah no, but if you like I can put Puff down as one of your votes...

Shakes knows where the purple guy comes from, I told him in email, and he is teasing me now. However it is not a bad hint, but if the kid wants to hear the Puff the magic dragon song on my computer he is dreamin... that other song is bad enough.

Get your votes in for tin toys and vinyl for me to model...
Some of the suggestions already made I really like a lot and will try and build out in addition to the vote winning suggestions.

09 September 2005
I just noticed I was missing on the fun here.
That's really humourous work.

Good luck to you

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

09 September 2005
Quote: It was a big hit in the 1950's, it sold 3 million albums and something like 100 million singles or some such craziness. If this song gets in your head it will rot yer brain.

Ah come on - you can't do this... You have to say what song it is!
Could it be - Que sera, sera? With the toy beeing Doris Day? You see - you have to spare me from thoughts like this!

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

09 September 2005
Funny idea with the toys, I really like your little alien and his presentation. But I'm now really, really curious of your concept??? If you want to keep it as a secret for a while, I can wait...meanwhile if we can make a proposal for the toys: How about a little Elvis?

-sabrina

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Gunilla: Ah come on - you can't do this... You have to say what song it is!
Could it be - Que sera, sera? With the toy beeing Doris Day? You see - you have to spare me from thoughts like this!
Do the words "It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater." sound familiar? I dunno if that song made it to sweden or not.

Originally Posted by daWinky: But I'm now really, really curious of your concept??? If you want to keep it as a secret for a while, I can wait...meanwhile if we can make a proposal for the toys: How about a little Elvis?
OK tommorow sometime I will talk about the concept. Meanwhile I put your vote for Elvis into the list.

Thanks Spin and everyone else for the nice compliments.

09 September 2005
Modeling: Another vinyl creature

The second try at a vinyl figure. comments? suggestions? I was thinking maybe a belt at the waist. To give the impression the main body part is clothing, like a shorty wet suit or something.

09 September 2005
I like it Soapy, the only thing that bothers me a bit is the forehead above the eyebrows seems a bit odd, try bringing it out a bit more by the bridge of the nose. Keep up the great work, i'm really enjoying your thread.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by soapy: Do the words "It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater." sound familiar? I dunno if that song made it to sweden or not.

No, never heard until now ( found it on the web) ... unfortunately - collecting silly songs is one of my favourite hobbies. I can understand how the lyrics affected you - very inspiring!

About your last figure - I think giving him a belt could be good, a belt with a big buckle as the dwarfs have in "Snowwhite" Keep bringing us goodies like this!

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

09 September 2005
Hello soapy, you models get funny and funny every time I see your thread... great job mate.

09 September 2005
Hey soapy... With all due respect.. You're wierd...

Another finely bent character mate, my suggestions would be tighten up the 'v' around his neckline for the seam of his clothes, exaggerate the joins you've made just slightly more, and give them all equal bevels and maybe emboss a small logo on his chest... I think he'd like some lips to match his eyes too

Keep em coming mate

toe2toe

my 3d prints

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by handlebar: I like it Soapy, the only thing that bothers me a bit is the forehead above the eyebrows seems a bit odd, try bringing it out a bit more by the bridge of the nose.
Fixed..
Originally Posted by Gunilla: I think giving him a belt could be good, a belt with a big buckle as the dwarfs have in "Snowwhite"
Yes, I think I will try on a belt, I keep thinking of this guy as an alien powerlifter.
Originally Posted by FussyMack: my suggestions would be tighten up the 'v' around his neckline for the seam of his clothes, exaggerate the joins you've made just slightly more, and give them all equal bevels and maybe emboss a small logo on his chest... I think he'd like some lips to match his eyes too.
The lips are an easy fix. The neckline will be a bit trickier, my polys on this model dont flow very well, but I think something can be done in paint to put in the neckline thing. I am not sure what you mean about the joints, but I will look into it. A chest logo sounds good, Maybe I can fit something twirly like his antennae.

Last edited by soapy : 09 September 2005 at 06:23 PM.

09 September 2005
I like the new creature
Also the raven update and Marylin's cameo.
It could become almost like a Goth toy party?

I vote for Blair and Bush, Uncle Sam, and maybe Osama(?) Paris or Pammy(?)
and Godzilla or Puff! Pac Man or Sonic (?)

This looks like a fun light hearted theme.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

09 September 2005
Hey soapy- you're rolling out some awesome new characters! love this one-those rotating arms rock! such a distinctive style. keep that production line coming!

Thread Closed share thread