Spectacular 3D Entry: Geoffrey White

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #61
wow...good texture editing and lighting arrangement, can you post your wire frame of light here ?? really greate work

Old 11 November 2005   #62
Sure, I just have to figure out how tell maya to do light wireframes. But I will once I figure it out.

Old 11 November 2005   #63
Modeling: Added in a person in the foreground

I just finished modeling a person in the foreground who is in awe of what he sees.

Old 11 November 2005   #64
Modeling: angel

Well I finally gave her some wings, these won't be the final wings of course, but they will serve as nice place holders. I'm not sure whether it would be better to model the wings or just make them bitmaps.
The big question I have to figure out is if this compostion is strong enough.

Old 11 November 2005   #65
Rendering: slight composition ajustment

After submiting the last image I thought that the angel may be to big so I moved her back in the scene a litle.

Old 11 November 2005   #66
Rendering: Added better skin shader and wings

Well this morning I made wings for her, I still need to work on the feather pattern to make it look more natural, also I plan to pose the people better so they won't look so stiff. Hopefully with lots of luck I can get this thing to work before I have to turn it in.

Old 12 December 2005   #67
Rendering: new concept idea

Well, in trying to place the two figures in the scene I came to the realization that I couldn't get them to really add anything to the cathedral, and on top of that they were even detracting from the image because they were blocking beautiful architecture. So I'm playing with a few ideas on having a less prominent human element instead. If I go with this idea it will be an image depicting a monk who has just finished a long and difficult pilgrimage to an ancient cathedral and he is in awe of what he sees. That's how I'm going to fill once I finish this thing.

Old 12 December 2005   #68
Post Effects and Compositing: The Cathedral is Falling Down!

The monk walks into the cathedral and a picture is taken right as an earthquake hits.

Old 12 December 2005   #69
Post Effects and Compositing: Can't decide on which composition to go with

Well I've been having a hard time trying to figure out which direction to take this. Most of my friends think that the cathedral without the monk in it is the best composition, I personally think that the monk adds a nice human element to it. Anyway I thought that I would post my ideas for the final image up here and see what everyone thinks. Idea 1 is just the cathedral, idea 2 is a monk who has just finished a long pilgrimage and is in awe of the cathedral, and the last idea is capturing a picture of the cathedral right before it collapses from an earthquake. I think I'm going to go with the idea 2 but if the cathedral without the monk is as popular then I'll submit that instead. THanks
for the suggestions.

Old 12 December 2005   #70
mmmmh geoffrey i'm agree with the first version..the work on the cathedral is perfect the monk doesn't looks so good as the background ...( is good but the cathedral is more awesome!!) or maybe he need a better pose or more special effects on it ...glows..blur...etc..actually the balance between the background & the monk is too ruff...sorry it's just my opinion don't pay so much attention..in any case there's a great work!

"Rechazando aquel que no combata....
y respetando quien nos sepa respetar"

Old 12 December 2005   #71
Well your probably right, since thats what everyone I talk to says. It may be that I'm to close into the project and I can't see the forest through the trees. Another possible problem is that my ability to model things is much better than my abilty to model people and so no matter how I place him in the scene he will look faky. Anyway thanks for the advice.

Old 12 December 2005   #72
Hey Geoffrey,

Nice job on this , Idea one 1 I think is the best . Although idea 2 is good too, the character doesn't take that much away from the image. Either way you go , you did a great job.
I really like the lighting in this image.

Old 12 December 2005   #73
Great work! I don't know how I could have missed this ... really nice.

I agree with you that a human character would make the scene more intense. I think the pose in the middle comp, 2 - works very well. Perhaps, as Mathieu says, some more detailing added for the monk would be good. Keep going, and good luck

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 12 December 2005   #74
Arrow

Good work so far

IMHO the pose of the character in #2 have great power but the lighting in #3 is more powerful so if you can just play with the light in the pose #2 that will be perfect.

Good luck in this last steps

Old 12 December 2005   #75
Final Image: Final Image

After much tweaking I decided that the best thing to do was to keep the image simple, and leave the characters out of the image. My final concept is spectacular because of the architecture, and the lighting. While it doesn't live up to my original expectations, i feel that I've grown a lot as a 3d artist because of this contest. I'm really happy that the guys at cg society came up with the idea to make a contest like this. Thanks for the support everyone, I hope to see yall in the next contest.

Thread Closed share thread