CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CGChallenge XVIII - Spectacular - 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #61
Gunilla
got guts

portfolio
Gunilla Elam
illustrator/animator
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhssuu
Gunilla: hehe thanks, i did quite a rush job good to hear you like it yer time is running short, i'm not sure if i can finish as well i would like to but i try finish it your entry is always good managible size i should learn from you and not stress myself out trying to do too much

Do your best to finish - and next time, try a smaller scene. I never know in advance how much free ime I will have for this, that's why I do manageble scenes... this time I almost wish I had done something bigger since I've ended up having more time than usual.
So, just keep working and you'll get there!

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #62
mmoir
ya win some ya lose some
portfolio
Mike Moir
Ontario, Canada

Chi-han,

The boat model is looking extremely well done and the textures are great too. Now , the character model is fabulous too, very detailed and very accurate as far as I can tell. Good luck with this.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:51 AM   #63
hhssuu
or Tom...
portfolio
Chih H
Art Director / Character Artist
KIXEYE
Australia

Lighting: 3D Layout & simple lighting

Thanks for the previous replies guys. I haven't posted for a while, being doing only little by little after work. I'm sorta just trying to get it done in time and not being pick now. For the character models i quickly zbrushed some clothing and painted them quickly since they will only be small and placed them in the scene. Fot the splashes i made around 10 variations in zb and placed them around the boat and whale. I will later render them seperatly so i can add more in photoshop in post. I think i'm gonna need a lot of post to get this looking ok :) Comments are most welcome.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #64
authentic
hair loser

portfolio
vincent guibert
rendering,lighting,FX supervisor
angouleme, France

Wow. I didn't see this thread before. It's a success. Like the composition really. My only advice : hurry up there(s no time more. I want to see it finished.

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

Old 12-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #65
hhssuu
or Tom...
portfolio
Chih H
KIXEYE
Australia

Texturing: Whale Texture and Lighting WIP

This is a little colour check with the texture of the whale, most things have textures now although not all that good but should look ok in the composite. Anyway i corrected a bit more of the lighting. I will spend saterday on rendering and sunday composite and monday fixups then submit... nearly there... comments are most welcome :)

Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #66
hhssuu
or Tom...
portfolio
Chih H
KIXEYE
Australia

authentic: thanks man, i'm very happy you like it thanks for the advice, your too right time is running out i gotta get my act together for the final dash, congrate on your finish, cya at the finishline

Old 12-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #67
mmoir
ya win some ya lose some
portfolio
Mike Moir
Ontario, Canada

Hey Chi-han,

The composition looks great, the whale is really imposing in this image , I am looking forward to the final image. Good luck to the finish line.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #68
angel
angel's not here man...

portfolio
Angel Nieves
3D Lead
MTM
Atlanta, USA

Looking real nice there hhssuu. Is this the actual composition or a framed detail shot? If it is the actual composition I suggest you add a lot more negative space above the whale; as is it is screaming for a more vertical negative space. I f I remember from your concept it had more space right? anyway it is coming along quite well.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #69
Gunilla
got guts

portfolio
Gunilla Elam
illustrator/animator
Stockholm, Sweden

Hi there! I'm glad to see you're back on this. The whale looks really impressive - so does the fishing team. Good luck for completion - looking forward to see it fully renderd

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 12-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #70
jddog
click for more options

portfolio
Julien Daulte
Owner
Effectred
Muralto, Switzerland

Impressive scene... spectacular...
Beatiful texture and lights... waitng to see more up-dates, until now nothig to crit.
A very powerfull image
jdd

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #71
monsitj
zz..zzz...zzz

portfolio
Monsit Jangariyawong
Artist
Bangkok, Thailand

Send a message via MSN to monsitj

very good job so far Hsu! I like the color , lighting , I think it will be wonderful when you add the sea surface! your schedule seem to be tight ! maybe you should beware the last day traffic while upload file ! good luck man!

Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #72
DaddyMack
c r a z y . . .

portfolio
Rob Mack
Resident geek
Brainchild Digital
Sydney, Australia

Send a message via MSN to DaddyMack Send a message via Yahoo to DaddyMack
Heya mate... make a mighty dash, this is killer

May the force be with you

toe2toe

my 3d prints

Old 12-03-2005, 02:02 AM   #73
hhssuu
or Tom...
portfolio
Chih H
KIXEYE
Australia

mmoir & Gunilla: thanks man, i do my best to finish best of luck with your entry too
SNoWs: thanks for your comments, um this is actually the final composition :( i had a look at other composition and this one's sorta the one i liked better. I'm very thankfull for your advice but unfortuantely i don't think i have anytime to reagrange compositions anymore. I hope you will like the final image though
jddog & monsitj & DaddyMack: thank you guys, yer the schedual is very tight, i do my final charge now... RAHHH~~~

I'll be doing my rendering today, i'll split up my image into multiple rendering and render out seperate elements, i will also renderout a image with material ids for easier compositing. For the splashes i will render some within the scene as well as seperate splashs so i can add more in photoshop without too much stress on my computer. My lighting is kept simple with one key light (sun) and a slight blue back light (acts like fill light, though i'll add a bit of blue to suggest reflections from the water surface), then i render an ambient occlusion pass with mental ray then composite.

Ok i hurry on to my renders now! thanks for the replies

Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #74
Dodgeas3d
UAB "OKTA" CG artist

portfolio
Arnas Gaudutis
CG artist
UAB "OKTA"
Vilnius, Lithuania

Send a message via MSN to Dodgeas3d Send a message via Yahoo to Dodgeas3d

Nice progress and concept! This looking good so far. Goodluck! hope u will finish!

OKTA-STUDIO.com <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

Old 12-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #75
claudiojordao
Flash Jordan

portfolio
Cláudio Jordão Viegas
Motion Graphics Designer, Director
KotoStudios, motion-productions
Lisbon, Portugal

Woooow Chih-Han Hsu, this looks so great... I love your whale, and the dynamics of your image it's just incredible, come on friend... finish this quicky!

Thread Closed share thread