Spectacular 3D Entry: David Marsh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #46
Tremo, I hate ZBrush! It's just so goddam unituitive and that gets on my tits. I see guys doing fantastic stuff with it but, try as I might, I just can't find the enthusaism to learn it. I need a Matrix stylee upload... "I know ZBrush!".

Until that happens i'll stick to old school bump mapping.

Overcontrast - Yeah that lip does look weird. I've tweaked it a bit as you'll see from my next update. Cheers man.

JDD - Have a look at the next update and let me know what you think and if things are still lacking. Bear in mind he's going to be fairly far from the camera so no need to get it too spot on. Cheers for your post.

melkao - Yep, that's the final expression. A combination of just becoming a Zombie, falling from a helicopter and not getting hugged enough as a child

Andy H, your the second guy to point this out, maybe he is a bit your average cg head chap. I've done some hair for him and a rotten zombie-like skin so hopefully that's enough to make him a bit more unique. And, as I pointed out to Jddog, he's going to be fairly far from the camera so probably not to worry. Cheers.

Ramtin_moom, there's a definate theme of 'give him more expression' from these posts which is cool and exactly the sort of stuff to I need to hear. I'll be looking into it, thanks for your input.

nebezial - This dudes going to be white but i'm planning more characters based on this head and will vary their ethnic backgrounds. I always like modeling characters with black skin as the shader seems to need less tweaking to get it looking realistic, possibly because of the way darker skin reflects light. Good luck with yours.

gardogg - Hey man, I don't rig faces personally just push and pull verts around until I get the expression i want. In this case i've added extra geomentry to make the face crease where I want it to but, if setting up morph targets for animation you can't do this as the targets need idetical vertice counts. So basically he's stuck like that but as it's just for a one off still it doesn't really matter. I modelled him in a neautral pose as i'm going to re-use the mesh for other characters in the scene who won't necessarily have their mouts open, brows furrowed, etc... Hope this helps, good luck with your work.

Cheers for the replys guys, textured zombie coming soon...

Old 09 September 2005   #47
Texturing: Fully zombified!

Here's the first zombie textured.

I've added the hair with a kind of an in-game technique as I can't be bothered with hair plug-ins - which is probably why I still have some hair of my own left :)

It's basically two textures made from photographs, one from the front, one from the side (you won't see the back so I have'nt bothered), mapped onto planes facing relevant directions which are bent a bit to give them some sort of 3d (you can tell whats going on if you look closely, a bit of tweaking will hide that). It works from pretty much every angle and doesn't take a month to render. I'll post the textures the mesh for anyone who's interested.

He's rendered with Brazil and I haven't bothered making him any bigger as this is about as large as he'll be seen even at print resolution.

I'm thinking of adding some blood coming from his mouth to suggest he's just finished having a munch on some poor sods leg. He'll probably be dressed in a suitably spoiled shirt and tie.

Old 09 September 2005   #48
dude...yuck lol

Old 09 September 2005   #49
Wowww ! you make of the very good job !!
Technically the texture produces well bravo!

Old 09 September 2005   #50
Good job. I hope to see more.

Old 09 September 2005   #51
yeaaahh! bring it up David! this character is cool!
[ Convertion is what which is happening to me... ]
aLi.

Old 09 September 2005   #52
Awesome zombie! I love it - and this is one of those rare occasions when "the eyes look a bit dead to me" is really a good thing

EDIT: Just one small thing, I think the lips would look better if they were a bit thinner in the corners if you follow me... more stretched, thus thinner you know.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Last edited by JamesMK : 09 September 2005 at 10:09 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #53
Ace!
Good skin texture, and amazing hair! Id love to see some wires of this unique process youre using. I think his skin is a bit pinky and his teeth are a bit clean at the moment though. His lips are a little 'fishy' too. Great eyes.
I had no idea that the people in the background were zombies! I probably didnt read your story hard enough...

Keep up the zomb-ness

Old 09 September 2005   #54
nice texturing ... particularly like the hair !
bravo david! seems like ur having fun

Old 09 September 2005   #55
Seriously, WOW. That is one awesome zombie. Is that a photo of a real zombie? Scary!

Old 09 September 2005   #56
Cool

Wow man thats a scary face......good modeling.

Old 09 September 2005   #57
Srtong Progress , goodluck ...

Old 09 September 2005   #58
OMG!!!

hi David .

Fantastic work.. as usually. Best luck to you my friend.

P.S.: I'm still thinking about participate to this challenge. I'm tjinking 'cause I haven't free time :(

again, GREAT work, buddy

Old 09 September 2005   #59
Yeah... now, it's a real zombie more David

5* for hairs...

...teeth are too perfect, or then, it's the only zombie dentist which I know.

Old 09 September 2005   #60
I wouldn't want to bump onto to this fellow.... very very nice tecture and model work...

My online portfolio

Thread Closed share thread