CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CGChallenge XVIII - Spectacular - 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
3D Artist / Director / Partner
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to velascodearmas
Spectacular 3D Entry: Diego Velasco-De Armas

Diego Velasco-De Armas is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Texturing: final enemy with texture

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S
/ Spectacular + WIP / Steampunk

Old 09-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

hehe This time I'm getting an early start.. Still no idea what I'll be doing, hopefully the nymph of inspiration will pay me a visit soon. But whatever it is, I'll be sure to work in a more leisurely fashion than in my previous 10 day Master & Servant crunch... Good luck to all!

--Diego

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
Lemog
ABITOUT

portfolio
laurent antoine lemog
3d graphic designer
editor
bezannes, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvelasco
hehe This time I'm getting an early start.. Still no idea what I'll be doing, hopefully the nymph of inspiration will pay me a visit soon. But whatever it is, I'll be sure to work in a more leisurely fashion than in my previous 10 day Master & Servant crunch... Good luck to all!

--Diego

Good luck to you Diego... I'm sure that the "good" idea comes nearly... to follow

Old 09-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
antone-m
mister "keep going"

portfolio
Antone Magdy
3D-Character Artist
Snappers
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via MSN to antone-m

good luck dvelasco

hope to see your ideas soon

Old 09-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Concept Sketch: INITIAL Sketch

This is the first sketch that I made (pretty much a thumbnail, actually). Its a placeholder, just to introduce my idea. Which, I must admit, is pretty megalomaniacal. The inspiration is somewhere between Chronicles of Riddick and The Lord of the Rings. This is the spectacle of war, in its full glory, irony, and (hopefully) majesty.

In the foreground is an alien queen using some sort of designer-looking dress with a translucent veil which blows in the wind to the left in a Spawn-esque shape. This should work well with the lighting scheme that I have in mind. Her court accompanies her, both the general in command of the troops as well as a couple of soldiers in armor, and a few other interesting court characters that I might come up with in the process (the conniving money man, the jester, the fat Duke, etc.). Should be fun to imagine them, which is why I wont lock down my idea to the sketch in the beginning, and enjoy the creative process as the months progress. This crew is atop a mountain, or perhaps at the steps of their castle. I might play a bit with the compostion so that they are facing a more visible angle, but this is the general positioning of the scene.

The backdrop should portray the duality of the situation, which I think is particularly appropriate when applied to war. To the left is a dark, sombre raincloud and the accompanying lighting (which should contrast nicely with the illuminated veil in the foreground). The queen most likely will be turning away from the battlefield, detachedly looking into the darkness. To the right the sun is shining through the clouds, creating a jacobs ladder effect throught the rising smoke of the battlefiels. The battlefied flatlands are surrounded by a mountain range. In the valley are thousands and thousands of troops (nope, I dont have Massive), which should reflect two distinct battle styles and technologies. The queens army is significantly more technologically advanced, with huge war machines devastating a more numerous, but much more rudimentary, bestial army. The local army will have flying creatures (maybe dragons) fighting against laser-wielding, missile-spouting war airships. hahahahaha Im going to go insane.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Concept Sketch: background sketch

a slightly better sketch, with a general idea of whats going on in the background. The characters Ill be working on in the next week. Ill try and really work things out in the sketching phase before woking on the characters. The background is easier, so I think Ill start with that first, to set the mood and find a camera (with character stand-ins). A couple of concepts in the armies: two colors, one for each army. The one one the right has dragons as its air force, and giant armored turtles as their "tanks". It will be so far away that I can probably get away with doing simple characters for the foot soldiers. I was going to make some sort of monster army versus an armored army, but it will probably not show at all. Well see. The other army has some sort of super attack spaceship with lasers, and some sort of droid walker tank, somewhere between an AT-AT and War of The Worlds. It should feel like the army on the right is getting devastated. The dragon in the front should probably get hit by the lasers and be in a fall. Once I get the stand-ins Ill adjust it so that the action isnt covered by the foreground.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Facepunch
Monkey killing Monkey

portfolio
Facepunch
Network Administrator
USA

Thumbs up

i like it. nice feel to it. Keep it up!

Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
gra7
At world's end...
portfolio
R G
Brazil

hey fala ae diego.. bom ve mais brazuca por aqui.. boa sorte..
adorei u sketch..

t+ .. cya !

Old 09-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #9
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Concept Sketch: queen

This is the first of the few characters that will populate the foreground of the image. Still in the somewhat rough sketch phase, I might continue to finish this sketch, or move onto another character. I think Ill start making a gallery of intended characters for this piece, and then Ill work out the composition when they are done in 3D. Should be more frontal, its a waste that they should all have their backs facing us.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #10
Nichod
Man who rarely sleeps.

Brian Hinton
USA

Send a message via AIM to Nichod Send a message via Yahoo to Nichod
Excellent character sketch. My only crit is that somehow I expect something on her arms. Be it a tatoo or a bracelet. Keep it up! I want to see a 3D model of the queen.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
CryingHorn
Chill out

portfolio
Andrius Balciunas
Kaunas, Lithuania

Wow the queen looks awesome, I am trying to imagine her in 3D. Good luck

Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #12
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Thanks Nichod, Crying Horn... Cool to see Lithuanians around here! Labas Dienas!

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Concept Sketch: priest/general

Another concept sketch. This character is the corrupt general/priest figure. Hes not done yet, but I thought that Id post something since I havent in awhile... This character is pretty loaded with diferent ideas, but Ill let you guys arrive at your own conclusions. Three things that I still want to add to him: a metal/robotic neckpiece, an ecclesiastic cloth draped around his neck (probably purple), and a pope-like hat thing stuck into his forehead. Should look pretty nasty when Im done. Sources of inspiration for this one were the Spawn clown, one of the monks in the Name of The Rose, and the Baron Harkonnen from Dune.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-20-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
velascodearmas
Know-it-All

portfolio
Diego Velasco-De Armas
Oca Filmes
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Concept Sketch: General / Priest

A more developed General/Priest. Should be enough to guide me in 3D, so I'll stop at this point. There's something not quite right with the hand position, and the stomach should be larger, but alas... this is 3D, not 2d ;). I'll model something in 3D next, before I go onto another sketch.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
mmoir
ya win some ya lose some
portfolio
Mike Moir
Ontario, Canada

Hey Diego,

You did very good for such a short time on the M&S challenge. I like your sketch for the background very nice setting for a spectacular battle. I am looking forward to your charachter , which look very nice too , coming to life in 3d . Good luck.

Thread Closed share thread