Spectacular 2D Entry: Chris Meeks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #16
I love the fish - he is absolutely gruesome. The textures suit the scene well. Hope you finish in time!

Old 12 December 2005   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClaeys
Hope you finish in time!

You and me both! I spent waay too much on making that fish ugly!

Glad you like the Basset Hound, Makaron. It took me a bit to get the best expression of dread for his face.
I've been setting down layers of fur on the guy and he's coming along. It's actually been alot of fun putting the Basset together and hopefully I'll have the sucker done tonite. The paws are going to be a chore, though. Earlier I sketched them in waay too small and if anyone's ever seen a Basset up close, their paws are HUGE!

Good luck, everyone!

Old 12 December 2005   #18
Coloring WIP: Gone Fishin'

I've just about finished the Basset. A few hints of fur around the edges and I'm done. The paws weren't asmuch trouble as I expected and hope they're large enough for the basset enthusiast's :)

Now on the the boy! (Oh, boy.....)

Old 12 December 2005   #19
My poor son had to lean over a coffee table for a half an hour pretending to be horrified by the carpet until I got the pose I wanted (Kids ARE good for something!)

I then drew in strips onto the long sleeve he was wearing for the painting. Plus, I'll probably over emphasize some of the characters of his head just a tad (Larger ear, eyes bulging more), just to make it a bit more interesting and a little more humorous.

Old 12 December 2005   #20
I love the concept you have here and it is so well painted so far. The hound dog's expression is great. Good humor. Now go and paint like mad!

Old 12 December 2005   #21

Oy! That face took longer than I expected! Hopefully the long sleeve shirt won't take near as long so I can concentrate on the fisherman for the day.

No pressure! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPlay
I love the concept you have here and it is so well painted so far. The hound dog's expression is great. Good humor. Now go and paint like mad! :thumbsup:

Thanks man! I am a mad painter at the moment! :) Good luck to you, by the way. Your work is coming along great! :thumbsup:

Last edited by Kapow : 12 December 2005 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #22

Welp, I've finally finished on the boy. I'm not sure if it's noticable enough but I added a hint of texture to the long sleeve he is wearing.

I didn't want it over emphasized, but you can see a hint of it which I think helped give the shirt alot more form.

Old 12 December 2005   #23
hope you make it time... go, go, go...
and tell your son, he did a great job, staring at the dangerous carpet...

Old 12 December 2005   #24
Final Coloring: Gone Fishin'

Detail close-up of the fisherman...

I'd type more...But I....Must....Keep....Painting.....

Old 12 December 2005   #25
Final Coloring: Gone Fishin'

Not much left now but touch up work. I still need to tinker with the fish body detail a bit, paint "No Fishing" on the sign and add a hint of color to the background.
I initially wanted to leave the background white so the image would look more like a simple .
Rockwell painting but it looked way too drab.

....I'm sooo tired...

Old 12 December 2005   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapow
I initially wanted to leave the background white so the image would look more like a simple .
Rockwell painting but it looked way too drab....

Why not white with little hints of a horizon or shore?

Old 12 December 2005   #27
Final Image: Gone Fishin'

As far as the background for this pic, I wanted to combine the cheerful environment of Norman Rockwell and the gruesomeness of something out of H.P. Lovecraft.

Grandpa, sporting his best fishing attire (and ill cared-for sea vessel), is so excited that he finally got a bite, that he is completely unaware of what this spectacular "catch" actually is or that it has lifted the boat a few feet out of the water! Only the boy and concerned basset realize what's taking place.

The "No Fishing" sign is also a play on Rockwell work. Several of his paintings revolved around playing hooky and skipping work for the local fishing hole, but in this case, it probably would've been best to choose a diffrent area....

I also thought it would be funny to over-emphasize the desperation of the the situation with a boat that can barely fit even one individual, let only two (and a dog..) :hmm:

Last edited by Kapow : 12 December 2005 at 10:11 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisThatGuy
Why not white with little hints of a horizon or shore?

Thanks, ChrisThatGuy. I'd thought about that, but after testing pure white behind the characters, alot of the features of the two seem to get bleached out. In the end, the blue with suttle hints of white seems to have helped the foreground action punch out into view a little bit better.

Old 12 December 2005   #29
Line Art: Gone Fishing

Here is the line art that was scanned in for the Photoshop work

Old 12 December 2005   #30
Yikes! I cut that close!

That last image looked pretty grainy when I submittedit, so here's another.

Thread Closed share thread