Spectacular 2D Entry: Paul Palmer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #16
Coloring WIP: smooth and blend

back to the wideshot, once the character is taking shape you can smooth and blend the overall canvas, I sometimes leave a broken line or unfinished line on the different elements in the painting as it helps create depth, rather than have it all rounded, or it will look flat, now Im going to work on the bullfight arena,
comments Welcome!

Old 11 November 2005   #17
Hi! I like your idea very much! I'm excited together with your main characters! I'd be very interested to know his thoughts! Your character is lighted very expressively! The great composition! Good luck!

Old 11 November 2005   #18
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Atris: Hi! I like your idea very much! I'm excited together with your main characters! I'd be very interested to know his thoughts! Your character is lighted very expressively! The great composition! Good luck!

Thanks Atris, he is a young Matador, perhaps his first bullfight, he has to dig deep into himself , all training will now come to pass , his father a great Matador died in the same
Stadium, now is the moment for him to step into the same light.............

Old 11 November 2005   #19
Hi Paul

This is looking really good. I like the concept and character and good to see development of the piece.

the colour and lighting is really nice and love the gold and reds on his costume. I can really picture this as a final piece - the tension of waiting to enter the arena, maybe beads of sweat on his face. You could have his eyes closed as he contemplates what is about to happen, but I quite like the fact his eyes are looking ahead as if he's really thinking about what he has to do and how his father lost his life.

Also - off on a tangent / world of my own trip - this would be a great idea for a setting where you had an alien version of a bull fight, where the bulls are actually much larger creatures - sorry just a thought which isn't really relevant.

Great work and looking forward to the next development

Old 11 November 2005   #20
Coloring WIP: shading, highlighting working out final image

Hi all, its been a long weekend working on
Spectacular! a bit frustrating with some elements, almost got fed up with it, but the image on the right, is the one that's closest to a conclusion! I am hoping for some comments on the background, I think the bull on its own looks more haunting than a dramatic scene in the stadium, any ideas!

Old 11 November 2005   #21
Beautiful painting, very precisely.. I like your style

Old 11 November 2005   #22
Hi Paul!

That's looking great! I like the background on the left better! And only I'd put character and bull a little farther. And it seems to me that the bull must stand idle. It'll give the feeling that everybody is waiting! I think it'll intensify the tension! It's my opinion! Good luck!

Old 11 November 2005   #23
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Atris: Hi Paul!

That's looking great! I like the background on the left better! And only I'd put character and bull a little farther. And it seems to me that the bull must stand idle. It'll give the feeling that everybody is waiting! I think it'll intensify the tension! It's my opinion! Good luck!

Hi Atris

Yes, this is the solution, I think you are right, I like your idea and I will develop it.
This is the great thing about challenges , artists can help each other , but you are
right it will add tension, like something is about to happen!
Thank you and good luck, I put your design in the top three, really its developing nicely!
Patina

Old 11 November 2005   #24
Hi. Nice painting! i dont have anything to critique but wanted to shout my support. I especially like the cross above his head. Very apt! It shows a bit of depth to your understanding of the spanish matador and his catholic upbringing.
lovely work.
all the best.
chrismoose.

Old 11 November 2005   #25
Thumbs up

Thanks chris, Its turning into a character based image, but Im hoping the costume and
final result will feel Spectacular, thanks for your words,
Patina

Originally Posted by chrismoose101: Hi. Nice painting! i dont have anything to critique but wanted to shout my support. I especially like the cross above his head. Very apt! It shows a bit of depth to your understanding of the spanish matador and his catholic upbringing.
lovely work.
all the best.
chrismoose.

Old 11 November 2005   #26
No probs! just keep plodding on! Dec 5th isnt that far away!

all the best,
chris.

Old 11 November 2005   #27
Hi Patina,

Nice work. Regarding your last image, I like how you added the extra on the matadors face which made him stand out a bit more from the background. The lower half of the image feels like it gets lost a bit though. I think youre on the right direction which your lighting but maybe you should consider adjusting your shadows a bit more, which I believe will make the image really pop out at the viewer.

Overall, I love the detail youve put on the costume and the expression on the matadors face which to me is a mixture of emotions from fear, uncertainty, courage & determination. Great work. - J

Old 11 November 2005   #28
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mecha Hate Chimp: Hi Patina,

Nice work. Regarding your last image, I like how you added the extra on the matadors face which made him stand out a bit more from the background. The lower half of the image feels like it gets lost a bit though. I think youre on the right direction which your lighting but maybe you should consider adjusting your shadows a bit more, which I believe will make the image really pop out at the viewer.

Overall, I love the detail youve put on the costume and the expression on the matadors face which to me is a mixture of emotions from fear, uncertainty, courage & determination. Great work. - J

Thanks for your comments, and words of praise, you are right on all counts so I hope to adjust things for the final image, I have spent some time on the face so I will have new updates soon, I want to rework the arch, add a keystone and cracks, and of couse the stadium and yes the legs are lost a little, thank you for your expert eye, I hope I can stay true to the original concept.

Patina!

Old 11 November 2005   #29
prefer the lone bull

I like how the figure is diagonally between two crosses -the Christian cross and the sword in his hand. It makes me think that his doubt/hesitancy is perhaps more about a confict of conscience rather than a fear of the bull. The whole composition is about contrasts of light and shadow, a private moment and a public event, etc. Your techniques and skills in rendering the figure are impressive, but I'm equally drawn to the ideas conveyed through the composition.

Old 11 November 2005   #30
Thumbs up excellent analogy

Originally Posted by Bwalters1: I like how the figure is diagonally between two crosses -the Christian cross and the sword in his hand. It makes me think that his doubt/hesitancy is perhaps more about a confict of conscience rather than a fear of the bull. The whole composition is about contrasts of light and shadow, a private moment and a public event, etc. Your techniques and skills in rendering the figure are impressive, but I'm equally drawn to the ideas conveyed through the composition.

Thank you Bwalters, for your comments , you speak like an art critic, I am impressed with the way you read a painting, for my part some of it is subconscious, I'm mainly driven by the aesthetics and composition, but of course it is a character study so the more I can convey the better it is for the viewer. I hope to finalise things this weekend and will adapt the lone bull, its always great to get feedback, I like your sword analogy, and yes I think he is a character seen in a private moment.
Patina!

Thread Closed share thread