Spectacular 2D Entry: Matt Dixon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Concept Sketch: Concept scribble III

A generic fantasy concept, to follow two generic sci-fi ideas. I've always wanted to paint a huge battle scene, and it'd be interesting to tackle something in landscape aspect for a change, so I might play around with this one a little bit. It still feels desperately unoriginal, though - maybe I'm approaching 'spectacular' from the wrong angle?

09 September 2005
Oh! looks like a shot from a movie, unoriginal!? no way, got loads of potencial to me.
Great skills, your ability to draw is making me nervous!
Best

09 September 2005
oh yes that is hot, that is amazing. I can't wait to see how well you pull this off!

09 September 2005
Hi!
Nothing but great! Really cool concept.. About being original, of course these big battles have been repeated through the past years of movies like LOTR, Alexander and so on... Its still a very broad theme, so there is plenty of room to make it your own.. Im sure it will be spectacular!

09 September 2005
You make me wanna make grayscal painting for the rest of my life and into the next life. Then reality hits me................
I suck. Lol.
Keep it up.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

09 September 2005
Nice scribbles mister Dixon!
Keep scribbling, some of these days you'll discover what's spectacular. No doubt. Success garanteed

09 September 2005
Hey Matt! The last sketch is awesome man! It's a spectacular scene to see for sure! Keep going!

Visit my online portfolio

09 September 2005
Wow! Nice start Matt, best of luck can't wait to see where you go with this.

09 September 2005
Hey Matt!

Nah, this has a lot of potential of being spectacular! If you run with this one, here's a few comments. I really like the silhouettes you're establishing on the right. I want to learn the story of the warrior on the horse with the sword outstretched. So that's very intriguing. Just a few questions you could think about. Are these guys going into battle or retreating from it....are we focusing on the city we've just reaked havoc to, the city the dragons are tearing up, or the city we're fighting for, or the warriors we're watching survive as they retreat from the city? It could go in a lot of directions...and pulling out a strong figure like that on the right I think is great. Also, there seems to be a lot of empty space on the top of the image...but lighting and color can bring us back down into things...but just letting you know it feels empty up there.

It's a very fun sketch, and congrats for even generating a sketch you might feel is cliche or unoriginal. So often, what could develop into something great and original can not even be realized because of the fear of being unoriginal. Great job, and keep it up!

09 September 2005
Really great value sketches you are crankin' out here Matt. I am definitely subscribing.

09 September 2005
Atmospheria - Hi, Emrah. Thanks for dropping by. I'm looking forward to seeing your piece develop - it's looking really strong!

Tonsen - Food for thought, much appreciated.

Thanks, everyone. I don't have time to reply individually, but I really appreciate the encouragement!

09 September 2005
Hey Matt,

Good to see you here, I just entered the contest myself.. since ive never participated in a cgtalk.com challenge.. between this and tdome round 2 and work.. im wearing myself out lol but hey.. its damn fun =D lol

your 3 sketches all look great, not sure which would be the most "spectacular or "original" but I think that you'll figure it out in the end since you seem to want to go the "epic" route and try for a landscape/environment piece which I would love to see from you. Two words..or rather "three" to keep in mind.. dynamic, depth, action. I think I usually see character art from you but I know you'll bust out something beautiful in the end

09 September 2005
Your sketch are going well, MAtt. Nothing to crit on drawing of course...
On subject, I thought the 1st sketch was a little to classic to be spectacular. The 2nd one is the more spectacular I think. The last one (3rd) is really great in term of composition and "strenght of the event". MAybe it had to have more closer character or action to make it more impressive.

Great work asual.

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

09 September 2005
Great battle scene wonderful action

09 September 2005
Mr. Dixon, fancy meeting you here (evil glare).

Your ideas are great, cool sketches. I'm partial to some of the sci fi stuff, but your epic battle is cool too. Can't wait to see more.

Thread Closed share thread