Spectacular 2D Entry: Steve Holt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Spectacular 2D Entry: Steve Holt

Steve Holt is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Escape from Fire Mountain

~Steve H

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Wink Good luck!

Hello all,

My first challenge...

Oh gosh, where to start...?

Off I go then into deep thought for a week or two...

Good luck everyone

Steve H
Viking Warrior

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Concept Sketch: Concept Scribble I

Finally started scribbling today for Spectacular.

I've not had a chance to do anything for this since it started, but my mind has certainly been turning over thinking about it, even though Iíve been too busy to do anything.

This challenge is tough, it feels so open that in some ways that makes it harder. And itís my first challenge as well.

Anyway, everytime I think about what would be Spectacular and even amazing to see, I found myself thinking about two giant beasties dueling to the death in some kind of gladiator arena.

This is a real rough concept, but the idea is two huge creatures, perhaps one of them a Minator of some kind and the other a Cyclops or ape type fella battling it out, and to stop them escaping and eating members of the crowd (although that would make a great illustration to!) there is a ring of lava between the inner arena and the crowd stands.

It's just an idea, I'll sit with it, and do more concepts this coming week and see how it feels...

~Steve H

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Thats what Im talking about!

This is some nice thinking

good luck

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Thanks IKIN, I certainly think it's worth trying to develope the concept. I had in mind a cross between a Roman gladiator feeling and a StarWars pod racing feel...

Old 10 October 2005   #6
Concept Sketch: Just another sketch

Just trying to work up this concept into something I can get my teeth into, because I really like this idea.

I might change the angle to either a very low view, just above ground level, looking up at these guys, or looking down on them from further away, not sure yet. But i'll probly do concepts for both and see which looks best.

~Steve H

Old 10 October 2005   #7
WOW....hi Steve-h. That's goimg to be a hard Battle. I imaging blood every where.

I'm going to be close to your nice work.

Good luck
xbo

► MaYa Modeler

My Basics Mel Scripts
~{xbo_::_Scripts}~

Old 10 October 2005   #8
Concept Sketch: Minator concept

Still working out the characters for this, and the perspectives.... here's one of them, a Minator. I don't know if I'll use this sketch. I'll just do more and see which one I like best. But I'm going to post as much of my WIP as I can.

~Steve H

Old 10 October 2005   #9
concept scribble 1 looks hot!
nothing like giant beast fighting it out in an arena!

good luck

Old 10 October 2005   #10
helloo.

hi.steve wow a giant fighting. wow imagine when a giant fall to ground, a big earthquake is going to happen, who's going to win then? goodluck bro

Old 10 October 2005   #11
Concept Sketch: Cyclops

Ok, here's the other character for this, ummm... Fight Spectacular?... and it's a Cyclops. Not that you can see that he's only got the one eye, you'll just have to take my word for it. It's based on a character design I did a while back.

So this is going to be a giant Minator fighting a giant Cyclops...yep, happens all the time!

So I'm just getting the pose and composition down really, not too worried about how good or bad the sketches are at this point, it's more about the forms and lighting, and composition really. the heavy details come later.

Now I might still mess with the positioning of the hands and arms, ect. But this is pretty much the pose he will be in in the final painting. Unless of course I have a total change of heart, which I doubt.

~Steve H

Old 10 October 2005   #12
Concept Sketch: Another Minotaur concept

Well, I said that I doubt I'd be changing things this much, but I'm going to. I'm now thinking of having the Cyclops facing us, and the Minotaur with his back/left side towards us, so they are basically swapping positions now...

I also learned how to spell Minotaur properly :)

~Steve H

Old 10 October 2005   #13
Concept Sketch: Cyclops

Here's a Cyclops character design I did a while back, I'll be using this as my reference to do the new one.

The one I'm doing for Spectacular won't have the horn or the spear though like this fella, I'll stick with the chain mace I reckon, and I might add some armour, not sure yet.

~Steve H

Old 10 October 2005   #14
cool ideas.. first sketch looked like cyclops vs. Minotaurs.. GOGO Minotaurs!!

Old 10 October 2005   #15
thats a nice image mate. Love the monster designs and ancient greek mythology is always a good choice. the cyclops is good. AArmour or any changes to it are not essential i reckons but would be nice to see you add to it. keep em coming

Thread Closed share thread