Spectacular 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Hi Michael,

good idea with the volcano as prehistorical fireworks. I

Many new things happen > congrats to the new job and also for the new house.

fahrija

09 September 2005
ah master dashow ... good to see you here

Sketchbook

09 September 2005
My eyes, huh, Andreas? That's funny, I thought that in this doodle I was stealing eyes from Matt Groening ('Life in Hell,' 'Simpsons,' 'Futurama')!!!

Well, we'll see how it goes: One of the problems I have with this right now is that it really demands a back view of all of the characters, and I'm having a little trouble cheating them to the side so that you can see their faces ('cause if you can't see their faces, the humour is lost.) And then there are still those "oooo" mouths...!

I have tons of time to come up with other ideas still. This one does appeal, though: It's not only got the funny characters but a beautiful sky. You couldn't tell from my last entry, but I am a total sucker for painting gorgeous sun-drenched skies. You should see my reference folder for clouds. I swear, half the reason I got a digital camera is so I could stop wasting film on vacations shooting... yet another cloud. :/ And this would be the sky to end all skies.

I apologize, I wish I had more time to reply to each and every one of you seperately. Suffice it to say, I appreciate everyone's comments, and it's damn good to see the whole lot of you all back here again for another go 'round! Later...!

-mike

09 September 2005
Great concept, Michael - hope they enjoy those fireworks, cause I don't think they'll get a second chance to see any.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by walrus: My One of the problems I have with this right now is that it really demands a back view of all of the characters, and I'm having a little trouble cheating them to the side so that you can see their faces ('cause if you can't see their faces, the humour is lost.) And then there are still those "oooo" mouths...!

I have tons of time to come up with other ideas still. This one does appeal, though: It's not only got the funny characters but a beautiful sky

How about having them facing the camera, but further back into the scene a little, and looking up..? Like the sky is all around and above them?

Just a thought (conjured up during a chat with MAtt Dixon)

09 September 2005
Oakland in the housez Good to see you again bro and good start. will be keeping up again.

peace

09 September 2005
This is a real cool idea, I hope you stick with it and work out the kinks.
Good Luck.

-Steve-

09 September 2005
I think Im not checked in ur thread yet! What a shame for me well, Im most happy to see u participating in this challenge and best of luck to u buddy!

DW V 2d

09 September 2005
Hiya Michael,

YEAH! I love fireworks.....Like the idea. Am looking forward to the other concepts you have in store for us...

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

09 September 2005
Great idea, Mike and a thumbsup for yuor skynutness, skies are just awesome!

09 September 2005
This should be really good, I love the black comedy aspect and know you'll pull it off a treat from your excellent M&S pic!

Keep it up

09 September 2005
Concept Sketch: Prehistoric Fireworks - crappy doodle

Hey, all, thanks for the notes and encouragement. I still have other ideas, but for now I'm still riffing on this one. I took Jonny and Matt's suggestion (thanks, guys!) and tried some doodles to develop the characters looking at the skies all around them, not just in the far background. These were all done on bumpy car-rides and trains, so they're not the best quality. But uploading something is better than nothing, I guess. It says, "Hey, I'm still alive!"

So the characters in these sketches look a bit lest forced, but now there's a slighter emphasis on the one big asteroid. So I added a lot of little meteors streaking down too, all around, so at least there's a plausible reason why they're looking other places in the sky.

And, of course, I'm still working on my "Ooooo" mouths! :)

I may try a version with more of a wooded setting. My wife noted that dinosaurs usually lived in places of lush vegetation. I wouldn't know - I was just thinking kinda Flintstones-y, and everything there was just big rocks. Fred and Wilma would have felt right at home in the Road Runner's neighborhood, no?

Anyhow, what do you think? (About the sketches, not the Flinstones sets!) Thanks! (And again, I apologize for not having the time to personally reply to every single post!)

-mike

09 September 2005
Cool idea. It was one big firework that killed of the dinosaurs you know, not a meteor like they'd have you believe.

What about doing a scene where dozens of huge dino's and cave men are standing awestruck in a circle round one tiny (but bright) firework - the first one ever made? I suppose it could be a sort of parody of spectacular, after all, it would be spectacular as far as they were concerned - they haven't even invented fire yet

09 September 2005
cool idea and funny.I love the face of ur characters a lot.
cheers.

Chronominater Project Concept Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQX3v3wtknc

09 September 2005
heh nice idea!

Thread Closed share thread