Spectacular 2D Entry: Ben Hooley

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #46
Good light! hehe, and your work is on the same level than mine. It´s only a different technique of yours,but thanks for your words
TWITTER

Old 11 November 2005   #47
de nada dulces sueños.

Old 11 November 2005   #48
Coloring WIP: duskier air

really feeling time's pinch now. Got myself a wacom (hooray) and feel like I'm starting all over (boo?..nah probably hooray). painting on top of the whole pic but suddenly aware of how shambolic things can be when you're learning. My whole workflow has changed to incorporate the fine styles I'm observing by people I admire in this challenge: That's not to say I'm changing my style - truth is I don't really have one that I can identify.

ANYway - it's been a while since I did any painting - digital or otherwise, so I'm digging in; determined to render all the little characters I feel are necessary... not to mention the freakin' background too... what a hulabaloo.
Big up to all of you who are hanging in there - especially those who have to endure irrelevant day jobs, while you're dreaming of drawing. :) hah!

Old 11 November 2005   #49
Congrats on your wacom! Feels kinda good doesnt it? Got one myself during this challenge..
I know what you mean about changing path and style.. Im not that new to drawing but i am kind of new to painting, but im learning rapidly... This means i can improve during a process of a painting making me wanna redo alot of things.. Unless you just try to copy the style of another you wont escape your own style, i think its always there somewhere! And the further you go the more you will define it! too much pladering..

Good thing you went back to your previous scene! Grandpa is looking great! The pose and the calm in him look cool.. He sure is living up to "sk8 or die"! Hope you make it in time !

Old 11 November 2005   #50
nice piece i kinda like the lighting on the shirt earlier it had nice luminance also very nice characters i haven't read much about this but it looks like he's escping from the cops while bussing the move , if thats it , good direction

please use less black to shade ,and i mean color not intensity shade with other dark colours

it gives it more depth

Old 11 November 2005   #51
Thanks for the empathy and the advice FrozZT and lynch - Using colour in this way (painting rather than much simpler selections) has made me realise how reliant I have become on Photoshop to edit poor colour choices while I work. Now that I'm essentially just painting on one layer, I'm finding it difficult to make good decisions as it obviously effects the composition as a whole. I predict this is all going to get murkier and then - with any luck (and a dose of inspiration from a muse from somewhere in the spectrum) - I'll hopefully freshen it all up again.

Old 11 November 2005   #52
Coloring WIP: it's crowded out

detail of characters in the crowd - WIPs

Old 11 November 2005   #53
Coloring WIP: more peeps

painty painty

Old 11 November 2005   #54
Coloring WIP: overview

getting murkier - must!...freshen...up!

Old 11 November 2005   #55
It´s coming along great! hehe
TWITTER

Old 11 November 2005   #56
Coloring WIP: This is starting to do my head in.

...But I'm quite pleased with the main characters board. hmmpft. I need more sleep.

Old 11 November 2005   #57
Very, nice stuff, really funny, Good stuff, love the old guy, nice comp too! Good luck!

Old 11 November 2005   #58
Great idea! I like it, old man on skateboard, this rocks!

Old 11 November 2005   #59
Final Coloring: Heavens Above

Final Colouring - Pt. 1 :D

Getting there in places, but the whole piece still needs alot of work - and I have to go to a wedding next weekend.

9-5 is getting in the way of this endeavour... but at least I am back on familiar turf.

sleep? pah!

Old 11 November 2005   #60
Coloring WIP: Spectacular Beard

Yo. During the course of this challenge, I appear to have grown a spectacular beard. It is amazing. It insulates against the approaching Winter like duck-down, despite its' close resemblance in texture, to that of camel pubes.
It can hold about a pint of water, for up to a minute... handy if I need to put a fire out and my hands are inexplicably tied.
By the end of the next challenge I may have birds living in it, innit.

Anyway, this challenge has certainly put hairs on my cheeks...
Thanks CGSociety!

Thread Closed share thread