CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CGChallenge XVIII - Spectacular - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #31
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Coloring WIP: fancy a cuppa?

..oh ****! can you smell bacon?

Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #32
Arctis
~ The Voyager ~

portfolio
Pierre Droal
Illustrator, visual artist
Paris, France

Wink

Nice drawing style, remember french comiker Franquin. Very unusual around here...
About comp, this idea is good, but I think the foreground should be closer to us, like if we were at the place of the old man, in front of a huge crowd waiting. Right now every character are a bit at the same size, and there's no real crowd.
That's just my two cents...
Good luck : I'll keep an eye on it anyway.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #33
SquishMe
Bit shifty bit-shifter

portfolio
Dale Thomas
Researcher
Osaka University
Kyoto, Japan

Hi there
Nice picture. I like your style. Your earlier sketches remind me of Quentin Blake's stuff. How many people will there be in the crowd? Any thoughts on background yet?

Good stuff, keep it up

P.S. I was living in Brighton last year. I kinda miss the place...

Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #34
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
illustrator, designer, art director
Blaž Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

Hi man! I think that ur first sketch and action was a bit more spectacular than the new one. But other than that, I still think its something special and unique in this challenge, so go on with it

DW V 2d

Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #35
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Arctis - Many thanks - I know Franquins' work, although never read any as a kid (was always in love with Uderzo ) - although at the moment, Frank Espinosas' style is really influencing me as to how I want to proceed with moving this forward into a comic - his new book 'ROcketo' is fantastic

SquishMe - Quentin Blakes' autobiography is essential reading (and he used to teach illustration at Brighton!) - The crowd (eventually) is going to be packed - I've experimented with a few background ideas but some kind of city skyline I think is inevitable.

NinjaASSN - I completely agree, and as I'm running out of time on this; I've returned to the original pic

Thanks to all for the comments

Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #36
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Line Art: lineart - initial montage

taking it back to the original composition. I'm using this pic on my lightbox to fill in the gaps in the crowd before committing to a final piece of line-art that I can use to paint on. This is the workflow that I'm most used to, but if anyone has any variations or suggestions which they prefer I'd love to hear them - I'm not used to painting from scratch yet as my experience with a drawing tablet is really minimal - but hope to use that to paint the final piece. peace.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #37
Shadow Seraph
Frequenter
Joseph Michael Burnap
Web Design
USA

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow Seraph Send a message via AIM to Shadow Seraph
Thumbs up

very cool, i love how you have a whole story going on here, you can almost see the event animated in your mind. your character style is very nice as well, great cartooning. hoping to see more detail come through and reall bring this together. also possibly a background scene as well ... something in the distance to bring the whole view together.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #38
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Line Art: slipper kick air

crowdscene and background drawn out with tweaks to the main figures. wanna start painting on it now.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #39
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Coloring WIP: lights...helicopters...action

blocking in some colours with my little round mouse. The lighting in the piece is going to come predominantly from the searchlights flooding down from the police 'choppers' with a dirty orange urban night sky in the background. I'm hoping to use my brothers drawing tablet to 'hand'paint on top of the image once I've finished blocking it all in, but would welcome any suggestions for alternative working practice from all you experienced CGPainters out there.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #40
GonzaloGolpe
Now

portfolio
Gonzalo Golpe
Concept Artist
España

hehe it´s coming along cool!I think this work carries out with the rules of this challenge Perhaps I´d increase the feeling of height. You can paint the hole composition with flat colours including the light and shadows.
Love his left shoe getting out the foot,lol!
Good luck!

Zalo
TWITTER

Old 11-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #41
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

thanks for the encouragement Shadow Seraph and you too GG, I know this piece hasn't quite got the same height as yours , but I hope the lighting and shadow should add to that a bit as it goes on - I'm saving a little addition for the last minute too, which should exaggerate the skaters' altitude. thanks again

Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #42
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Coloring WIP: daylight saving off

Hey skatefans!
Taken the bright colours down and begun the painting. Definitely going to get a drawing tablet! I feel like it's going to revolutionise my workflow (blocking colour in with a polygonal lassoo... too time consuming[/geek]).

Done a bit of 'overpainting' on a few of the characters - primary & secondary, in an effort to move it on apace - only 27 days left y'all ;-). It's rewarding how much I'm picking up from alot of you people out there and for that I thank you - as well as my brother for his wacom and his fantastic taste in music..

UKHipHop! - love music - Hate racism. www.aerosolikrecords.co.uk yaw!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #43
MrFreeman
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dave Freeman
Concept Artist
Double Negative Visual Effects
Bradford On Avon, United Kingdom

he he he...could be me in a few years time - it's about time I dug out me old skateboard and had a bit of fun....

Great concept and love the characters - very different and original (with the police / police helicopter, reminds me of where I used to live in Bristol...mmmm)

Looking forward to seeing how this develops

Old 11-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #44
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

Coloring WIP: 27 days, 1 hr, 29 minutes & 40 seconds?

yeah, no problem - just bigging myself up.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #45
Screenblind
Medium-Rare Beauty

portfolio
Ben Hooley
illustrator
Brighton, United Kingdom

cheers MrFreeman.

Background? - oh yes. I'll give you background:

The place is Brighton, the time?.... not too far into the future and the revolution... *ahem*... oh yes the REVOLUTION is in progress. Two thirds of Britain; as well as many parts of the rest of the world, are attempting to throw off the shackles of the tiny proportion of humankind which holds the rest (of us?) in economic bondage (DAMN THEM!)...

This scene, and the majority of the storyline, is set in the part of Brighton still run by the 'state' - who have been reduced in stature, to the gang of armed uniformed thugs that they - but for the apathy of the working class in real life, currently are... (can you tell I'm a wage slave?)

Specific to England, the two thirds of the country currently revolting, are split into two definitive camps:

One half of the revolutionaries are adamant that the process of the REVOLUTION should be broadcast internationally; in order to further the cause of emancipation... the other half are staunch believers that the REVOLUTION should in no way be televised. The policers of the third of Brighton still under state control; are determined to quell any demonstrations of freedom, any inspirational acts of resistance, and any gatherings of a subversive nature.

Hence, the attempt by the 'law-enforcers' in the picture, to break up the scene, and move the people on, in their usual heavy-handed manner.

The orange glow in the background of this piece will represent, in increasing detail, the fires of uprising, as well as the light-pollution which affects all us city-dwellers.

This 'REVOLUTIONARY' idea is the sole copywright of myself, and any people who are sharp enough to nick it, develop it and publish it before I manage to, will be subject to the full wrath of Capialist law..... as it stands today.

So much for the background. The actual plotline is about an aging fantasist who's wife is sinking into dementia.

I'm going to go home now and stop drinking cider.

peace.

Last edited by Screenblind : 11-07-2005 at 11:00 PM.

Thread Closed share thread