Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2005   #46
Uh... I'm having problems uploading entries - I keep getting this error message:
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's perspective and whatnot - just trying to get an idea of how the scene might lo' at line 1

EDIT: Never mind, problem seems to be fixed.

Last edited by ArtisticVisions : 09 September 2005 at 03:05 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #47
Presently there seems to be a submission problem where if you add any inverted commas into your notes, an SQL error occurs (eg. The word it's or i'm).

Weird, that should have been fixed ages ago. I'll sort it out in a minute.

Ok. i think i understand the guidelines. The only question i have is can it be based on an actual event? Hence potentially enhancing the narrative depth?
Obviously some spectacular moments such as Ali gettting the KO are so well visually documented it would be futile to attempt an interesting and original image of the occasion, but is it allowed to be based on true events?
becomes more of an editorial piece than fantasy this way.

Either should be fine.

Does this mean no hover-cars, flying boats, animals acting like humans (like the "the dogs playing" poker), fairies, dragons or other "non-existing" creatures?

That's probably borderline - use your own judgement. I'd probably err on the side of caution and not include poker-playing dogs, but I don't see an issue with dragons.

So what is the point of having part of FUTURE history if there is no really a difference about it and PAST history. Why not just say part of a HISTORY instead?

The image can't be part of history since you haven't made it yet. Hence, future history

This is like arguing "who's on first" (Abbot & Costello) ...

I don't know...

What if I want to do a scene that starts off as 3d (to do the perspective and the main elements) but then do the majority in 2d? Is that acceptable for a 2d entry?

That's fine.

I won't be kicked out of the challenge if I update my WIPs rarely, will I? How often do I have to upload WIPs? I mean I can get busy with some other stuff sometimes, but I don't want to be out of the challenge, so what are the rules regarding this kind of stuff?

You won't be kicked out, but regular posts and updates help you interact with the community (which can inspire your entry to greater heights). As long as you have all WIPs and the final image uploaded by the end of the challenge, you're "finished".

Old 09 September 2005   #48
I can foresee the "within the realm of possibility" clause causing some problems. Taken literally it excludes a lot of fun stuff like surrealism, fantasy, and most science fiction.
Its a blurry distinction, and sticking to the cautious side of that blurry line will make for some potentially dull entries.
Stepping into that blurry line means dealing with uncertainties like that discussed above: which is more possible, dragons or dogs playing poker? I'd dissagree with Mibus and say that dragons are entirely impossible, while dogs playing poker is unlikely, but doesn't break any laws of physics or evolution.
Having said that, for a fun challenge I'd like to be able to do either.

Old 09 September 2005   #49
Having said that, for a fun challenge I'd like to be able to do either.

Just use your own judgement. I don't think we've ever disqualified someone for bending rules of the theme - you'd have to be pretty far off to get shoved off. Your only real "challenge" if you bend the rules is getting it accepted by the jury - if they "don't get it", it might impact your final scoring.

I'd dissagree with Mibus and say that dragons are entirely impossible, while dogs playing poker is unlikely, but doesn't break any laws of physics or evolution.

Dogs don't have opposable thumbs; at least some dragons are real

Old 09 September 2005   #50
I have a question about the challenge,

I read the guidelines and programs like vue, terragen and bryce can be used for landscape portions. I will build my landscape geometry and then I am thinking to use another program to define it more in terms of erosion (using generated black and white height map).

Thanks!

Last edited by Continuumx : 09 September 2005 at 02:32 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #51
What happens if I've made a mistake on my name on the entry? In my user CP I had put my nickname in the "real name" area and that's how my thread got posted. I'd like to change that to my real name, but how?

thanks,

Old 09 September 2005   #52
Hi I have a question about the 2D. I tend to work by starting with a montage of public domain images, my images and my drawings combined and working up from there. Legaly image wise its not a problem but is it legal for the contest?

Old 09 September 2005   #53
i have got a question/

for the 2d challenge, can we use 100% traditional methods without using anybit of computers? I guess that would be no, because its a CG challenge right?
thanks

Old 09 September 2005   #54
Originally Posted by Kirt: Maybe it's a language thing ...

It seems to be. I am not so well adapted to english language. Especially when you can understand something two different ways no matter how many times you read it.

Originally Posted by Kirt: What is the big deal about the words used in the description of the challenge anyway? Illustrate a spectacular event and you will be fine. Stop nitpicking the guidelines and get to work.

How can I get to work if I do not understand some rule of challenge and if my idea is allowed or not? I do not nitpick I just wanted to understand can I use my idea. And if this make no sense to you read your quote I posted in top of this. That too explains why I do not see it same way us most of you.

Originally Posted by enialadam: Basically I see 'future history' meaning that we can base our image on something that has allready happened, is happening now or is going to happen in the future. It will all eventually become history to someone after the event has happened

I hope that makes sense

That makes sense, but the description (I did not copy it to here) you gave (especially the future history part) sounded like I can't make image about what happened in the past so I am not still clear.

Instead of trying to give me more long-winged explanations. Answer to this:

Can I base my image on something that happened in the past like Björn Borg winning his first tennismatch or Napoleon losing his battle?

After reading some post I began to think that answer is yes, even I'm not quite sure why.

This sure is gone to a hilarious side, but forgive me I did not born (or learned) to speak english. Or maybe I should toss my idea...

Pasi

Old 09 September 2005   #55
Originally Posted by Mibus: The image can't be part of history since you haven't made it yet. Hence, future history

I know my image can't be part of a history yet, but I was asking about the actual happening it will be based on (something that happened in the past).

Oh dear, even our kind Mibus could not clear this up...lol!

Pasi

Old 09 September 2005   #56
Originally Posted by pwallin: Instead of trying to give me more long-winged explanations. Answer to this:

Can I base my image on something that happened in the past like Björn Borg winning his first tennismatch or Napoleon losing his battle?

Yes, you can

Old 09 September 2005   #57
Originally Posted by pwallin: I know my image can't be part of a history yet, but I was asking about the actual happening it will be based on (something that happened in the past).

Oh dear, even our kind Mibus could not clear this up...lol!

Pasi

If your image is based upon something that happened in the past ... then it's future history. Next week it's future history. Next year it's still ... guess what ... future history. One hundred billion years from now ... guess what? It's still future history.

Yes, you can do an image based upon something that has happened in the past.

Old 09 September 2005   #58
"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that..."

I interpreted that sentence this way:

Image refers to the piece you are going to draw/paint and that particular piece will become part of the future history. It doesn't say anything (yet) about what kind of picture this has to be except that it is spectacular. So your painting will take its place in the future history among other great spectacular images.

In other words I don't believe that the 'future history' here has anything to do with the time the picture (subject) is set in. It's more to reinforce that the image should portrait something truly spectacular.

Then there is this sentence:

"Don't consider yourself limited to things that are around now - dinosaurs and space-cities can both be spectacular too!"

Dinosaurs clearly refer to the past and space-cities to the future. It's just a clever and more interesting way of saying it. So you can read it like: Don't consider yourself limited to things that are around now - the past and the future can both be spectacular too!

Old 09 September 2005   #59
theres are sum real issues concerning the fantasy/sci fi creatures and such,and like sumone said that kinda exlcudes allot stuff that can be seen as spectaculer.

but i'm doin an evolution of already exisiting animals,*like an eight legged horse* *or a human with multiple limbs* thats cool right? i do beleive we'll evolve much further to adapt to our future habitats.

i just want to know before i continue.

Old 09 September 2005   #60
Hiya I have a question. I posted in genral discussion first before realising I should have posted it here. Anyway:

this is probably a stupid question but I came across this when reading the rules:

"FTP
Final submission of print-resolution artwork is to be done using FTP. If you are not familiar with FTP and how to use it, you should seek help on its use well prior to the close of the challenge - late submissions due to inexperience with FTP will not be accepted."

Just wondering if someone could explaing what FTP is?? Thanks for your time

reply share thread