Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kirt: Read the rules, instructions and inspiration pages again. I believe this is all covered.

Thank you. I read the inspriations page, it's a lot more clearer now

Cool!

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by pwallin: Anarky made it even confusing actually.

But that is the main problem I actually posted and I can't ignore it just like that. I know it's future history, but how I understand your explanation...EVERYTHING is future history and there is no past history...that's weird. I do not want to sound harsh, but I really do not get it.

Pasi

Past history is still history in the future
thats how I think it's ment anyway

09 September 2005
The past is behind you and the future is in front. If you switch your orientation then the past will become your future and your future will become your past, only this time you'll know your future and you won't know where you're comeing from. Thus the past and the future are the same!

09 September 2005
I'm glad thats all been clarified now, :P

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Lady Medusa: Past history is still history in the future
thats how I think it's ment anyway

They said:
"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history"

So what is the point of having part of FUTURE history if there is no really a difference about it and PAST history. Why not just say part of a HISTORY instead?

Pasi

09 September 2005
Just to clarify how I understand history is that everything that has happended is a past history. What will happen or is happening right now can be a future history.

That way challenge rules means we can't use happenings that already has happened, since they said in a "future history".

I hope this will clarify my problem better.

Pasi

09 September 2005
This is like arguing "who's on first" (Abbot & Costello) ...

History is any event that has been recorded. There is no difference between past history and future history. It's still history. The only history that will not be history is when the universe and everything within is no longer. If there is nothing, then how can it be recorded as "history"?

Maybe it's a language thing ...
There is no history of the future - because it hasn't happened yet.
However, the future has history - because history has happened prior to the future.

The "future history" asks you to speculate what may happen in the future which will become a spectacular and eventful item of the future's history.

What is the big deal about the words used in the description of the challenge anyway? Illustrate a spectacular event and you will be fine. Stop nitpicking the guidelines and get to work.

Last edited by Kirt : 09 September 2005 at 07:56 PM.

09 September 2005
Quote: Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat; that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time.

As far as I understand from reading this all over ten times, the rules don't require the image to describe future history. It is rather encouraged then strictly required to create futuristic images. Also I think what is required is the images to be emotional, expressive, impressive, inspiring etc.

09 September 2005
What if I want to do a scene that starts off as 3d (to do the perspective and the main elements) but then do the majority in 2d? Is that acceptable for a 2d entry?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by elmasfeo:
I agree about the confuse description, it seems so vague and broad....

I have just posted my first sketch and a discription of the overall idea if 2 images are allowed.
see my thread here.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by JonM: What if I want to do a scene that starts off as 3d (to do the perspective and the main elements) but then do the majority in 2d? Is that acceptable for a 2d entry?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Perfectly acceptable.
Originally Posted by nomadicrain: I have just posted my first sketch and a discription of the overall idea if 2 images are allowed.
see my thread here.

Yes, that's allowed.
Originally Posted by elmasfeo: I agree about the confuse description, it seems so vague and broad....

Which is to your advantage. Use your imaginations ... it wouldn't be a challenge if we supplied all of the answers.

09 September 2005
haha this is how I see it.

Ok, so 'future history'

This could mean the past from today. So anything that happened prior to todays date. So yesterday is history and all the years before that is history.

or it could mean that we could paint an image about a spectacular event that could happen thousands of years from now. lets say 5000 years into the future. so anyone after that date will see this event as history. but anything that has happend now and in our past is allso history to those people.

Basically I see 'future history' meaning that we can base our image on something that has allready happened, is happening now or is going to happen in the future. It will all eventually become history to someone after the event has happened

I hope that makes sense

Last edited by umbrellasky : 09 September 2005 at 10:00 PM.

09 September 2005
Even though I didn't write the description, I'd like to take a shot at clarification. I believe "future history" was included to indicate that the event, whether it be real or imagined, should be one of significance, and worthy of documentation. Most events are theoretically part of history but are quickly forgotten and or do not attain widespread exposure. For instance, I just knocked my coffee all over the carpet. It might have been spectacular at the time (my language certainly was) but as it's unlikely to make the history books then illustrating it as part of this challenge would be ultimately unrewarding.

09 September 2005
OK ... I think "Future History" has been well explained up to this point. This is not the place for discussions of how the term is interpreted to each individual. This thread is for questions relating to the challenge.

Having said that ... can we move on to other questions and just drop the future history discussion now? Thank you.

09 September 2005
I won't be kicked out of the challenge if I update my WIPs rarely, will I? How often do I have to upload WIPs? I mean I can get busy with some other stuff sometimes, but I don't want to be out of the challenge, so what are the rules regarding this kind of stuff?

reply share thread