Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Mythmaker: The description is a little confusing.

More than that. Especially if english is not your native language.

I still hope for an clear answer.

Pasi

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by erilaz: Presently there seems to be a submission problem where if you add any inverted commas into your notes, an SQL error occurs (eg. The word it's or i'm).

I thought that might be the problem. Thanks for pointing that out

09 September 2005
Is it possible to do 2 images? Not 2 entries, just images. Where each image is a part of a larger story?

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by nomadicrain: Is it possible to do 2 images? Not 2 entries, just images. Where each image is a part of a larger story?

Isn't that basically like subitting 2 images?

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by nomadicrain: Is it possible to do 2 images? Not 2 entries, just images. Where each image is a part of a larger story?

If you stick them together side by side, I guess you can, but not separatedly

I agree about the confuse description, it seems so vague and broad....

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by The Instructions Said: something both extraordinary, but within the realm of possibility

Does this mean no hover-cars, flying boats, animals acting like humans (like the "the dogs playing" poker), fairies, dragons or other "non-existing" creatures?

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Lady Medusa: Does this mean no hover-cars, flying boats, animals acting like humans (like the "the dogs playing" poker), fairies, dragons or other "non-existing" creatures?

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well (although hover-cars are technically possible and do exist)

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by ArtisticVisions: Yeah, I was wondering about that as well (although hover-cars are technically possible and do exist)

They do?! Wow

go a link? PM me

09 September 2005
Q: Can I base my main character on a celebrity, i.e. use celebrity photos as reference?

Q: Can my final image contain human blood or droid blood in bruses and injuries?

Last edited by unwrap : 09 September 2005 at 06:20 PM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by pwallin: More than that. Especially if english is not your native language.

I still hope for an clear answer.

Pasi

ANARKY said it best. But I'll attempt another explaination ...

The Past = Future History
Current Time = Future History
Future Time = Future History

Or leave out the "future history" phrase if it's confusing for you ...
Quote: Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat; that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time.
... this doesn't change any guideline of the challenge rules.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kirt: The Past = Future History
Current Time = Future History
Future Time = Future History

Thanks for clearing that up, Kirt.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Cavematty: The only question i have is can it be based on an actual event? Hence potentially enhancing the narrative depth?
Obviously some spectacular moments such as Ali gettting the KO are so well visually documented it would be futile to attempt an interesting and original image of the occasion, but is it allowed to be based on true events?
becomes more of an editorial piece than fantasy this way.

Can you gather inspiration from an event that happened already? Yes. Can you illustrate the event as it happened? Yes. Does it make your image more than a documentary or Editorial? No. The decisions are yours, but I'd recommend pushing your imagination and trying to do something unique.

Originally Posted by sergage: Q: Can I base my main character on a celebrity, i.e. use celebrity photos as reference?

Q: Can my final image contain human blood or droid blood in bruses and injuries?

A: For reference? Yes, but don't copy or paint over a photo to the degree where the original photo(s) will be identified easily. Quick way to get yourself removed from the final judging phase.

A: Yes. Injuries and blood aren't offensive to most people. Use your judgement here.

If they are related to each other I don't see why not.

Originally Posted by Lady Medusa: Does this mean no hover-cars, flying boats, animals acting like humans (like the "the dogs playing" poker), fairies, dragons or other "non-existing" creatures?

Read the rules, instructions and inspiration pages again. I believe this is all covered.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Lady Medusa: They do?! Wow

go a link? PM me

http://www.moller.com/skycar/

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kirt: A: For reference? Yes, but don't copy or paint over a photo to the degree where the original photo(s) will be identified easily. Quick way to get yourself removed from the final judging phase.

No, not copying a photo. Just basing my character on a celebrity. For example if I want to express a droid girl flying (literally) and I want her to look like Pamela Andersen for instance. Just look like, not exactly her person. I just want to use some facial features that are physically unique.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Kirt: ANARKY said it best. But I'll attempt another explaination ...

Anarky made it even confusing actually.

Originally Posted by Kirt: Or leave out the "future history" phrase if it's confusing for you ...... this doesn't change any guideline of the challenge rules.

But that is the main problem I actually posted and I can't ignore it just like that. I know it's future history, but how I understand your explanation...EVERYTHING is future history and there is no past history...that's weird. I do not want to sound harsh, but I really do not get it.

Pasi

reply share thread