CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CGChallenge XVIII - Spectacular - 2D
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
Mibus

Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

For questions/answers on the Spectacular Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Thanks;
Mibus

Technical Support
For all registration errors, or technical errors while using the Challenge site, please email me (Robert Mibus, robert@ballisticmedia.net).

- Challenge-Specific -

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?
A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?
A: No, this is not a team challenge.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?
A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?
A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?
A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry").

Q: Do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
A: Everything is a milestone until you do the final image.

Q: How i can get out of this challenge?
A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?
A: No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

- Technical -

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?
A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?
A: No.

Q: Why the hell not?
A: Because this is a "Challenge" to challenge artists in creating original concepts and characters. Where's the challenge in using pre-fabricated characters as main subjects?

Q: Can I use Poser to make background characters?
A: No, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans anyway.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?
A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?
A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?
A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?

A: All post trickery is allowed and encouraged.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?
A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?
A: Why wouldn't it be? (yes)

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
Arctis
~ The Voyager ~

portfolio
Pierre Droal
Illustrator, visual artist
Paris, France

This time there are only 3 jury members ; will they be more ???

Old 09-05-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
Mibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctis
This time there are only 3 jury members ; will they be more ???

Not at this point, though it's not impossible.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
pwallin
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Pasi Wallin
ex-3D teacher
Tornio, Finland

"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history"

Word "future" concerns me here. Does that mean image can't be of something what has already happened (imaginary happening in the past)?

Pasi

Old 09-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

todays history will still be history in the future pwallin lol.

yaaay new challenge.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
pwallin
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Pasi Wallin
ex-3D teacher
Tornio, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOB!
todays history will still be history in the future pwallin lol.

I was talking about past...not about today or future.

Pasi

Old 09-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
AnimZiggy
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ismini Sigala
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin
I was talking about past...not about today or future.

Pasi

that concerns me too, does it have to be present or future?

Old 09-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
ANARKY
...in the UK!

portfolio
Andrew Dobell
Illustrator
Spiral Direct
Fetcham, United Kingdom

And yesterdays, last weeks, and last centuries Events will still be history in the future. In otherwords, you can set it anywhere, anytime, past, present or future.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANARKY
And yesterdays, last weeks, and last centuries Events will still be history in the future. In otherwords, you can set it anywhere, anytime, past, present or future.

xactly what i'm sayin

Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
erilaz
Stealthy Tea Monkey

portfolio
Martin Brennand
VFX Artist
Melbourne, Australia

Presently there seems to be a submission problem where if you add any inverted commas into your notes, an SQL error occurs (eg. The word it's or i'm).

Old 09-05-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
nebezial
Supreme Archaidi

portfolio
Stjepan sejic
wannabe in comics
crikvenica, Croatia

future history...GREAT SCOTT!!! marty, we re traveling thru time lol...its easy...just do as i do...dont put commas lol

Old 09-05-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
pwallin
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Pasi Wallin
ex-3D teacher
Tornio, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOB!
xactly what i'm sayin

And exactly not talking about my question of past.

Pasi

Old 09-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
NOOB!
yep.
Angelous Ruben
Illustrator/animator
London, United Kingdom

..................ugh......

in other news...

Lol i just noticed Linda is judgin,all those people that sed she didn't deserve win shall regret that now

Old 09-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
Mythmaker
Frequenter

Siravalenta
United Kingdom

The description is a little confusing.

But I don't think the image has to be set in the future - what I think it means is that you're image should be spectacular and iconic - memorable - think of those images that stuck in your head - that excited your heart and inspired you.

"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat; that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time."

That's how I read it anyway...

Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #15
MatthewRodgers
thought size didnt matter

portfolio
Matthew Rodgers
Matte Painting / Concept Art
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Ok. i think i understand the guidelines. The only question i have is can it be based on an actual event? Hence potentially enhancing the narrative depth?
Obviously some spectacular moments such as Ali gettting the KO are so well visually documented it would be futile to attempt an interesting and original image of the occasion, but is it allowed to be based on true events?
becomes more of an editorial piece than fantasy this way.

reply share thread