Female 3d character - critique needed ..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2011   #1
Female 3d character - critique needed ..

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little critique on this model. I've been working on it, on and off for a few years now lol .. well a few days every couple of months to refine my skills. Never feels quite right though. I'm trying to create a form that is natural yet aesthetically pleasing.

It's modeled with old school box modeling techniques.

external link;

http://www.davidedwards.me/web/female_01.jpg

Any thoughts very welcome.

Thanks
Dave.

Old 05 May 2011   #2
So far so good.

It looks like everything is in the right place, scale and proportion wise. I put her in “the grid” and everything checked out fine. I just think the forms can use more development and refining.

A few things that stand out to me, from your views shown, are:

–Her brow looks to robust/swollen.
–The clavicles need form and straightening. The inner ends of the clavicles also need defining and are now creating an unusual arc, pushing the top of the sternum down too far.
–The pecs are making an odd forked crease as they hit the deltoids.
–She needs knee detail.
–The back of the knees have a strange bulge.
–Scapulas could go longer, more triangular.
–The butt crease should close up more. There’s too much gap at the top, and the sacral area above it should be convex, not concaved at that point.
–The outer edge of the feet, from the heel forward, look swollen.
–the four small toes appear too long.
_There is a long furrow between the big and next toe that looks wrong.
–From the side view she looks too flat in the pelvis and thigh area, compared to the rib cage and front view of the upper legs.

I’m guessing you may be running into some topology raod blocks in the areas where odd creasing is occurring.

At this point I would go over the entire anatomy with a critical eye for both accuracy (see if you’re over looking something in the refs used) and aesthetics in mind. By aesthetics I don’t mean make her sexy, I mean keep continuity of the forms in harmony with whatever body type you choose to make her. There is an almost musical harmony to biological forms that you have to resonate with to get it right.

I’d like to see the palm and top of the hand as well as a large multi view of the head.

A grey model on a white bg render would make things easier to see.
I was actually able to achieve this with your current image to make things easier to read.

Old 05 May 2011   #3
Thanks Bill, really appreciate your thoughts and time, i will look into your comments and see if i can address them.

Since making this post a few days ago, i've modified the model extensively. I've added a few more renders below. I've added a basic Vray sss and light setup. Forgive the look for now, I'm sure it will look better textured

A few thoughts;

One issue i had was understanding the size of the eye itself, given its internal, its difficult to measure this against a reference point. Also the central pivot point of the eye.

One issue i've had, has being using multiple references, i've since learnt that even the smallest differences influence the rest of the body in ways that would look wrong on someone else, So i'm trying to stick with the same references now.

I wanted to create a form and weight that was simply natural, "The girl next door" look if that makes sense. I wanted the figure to have definition without appearing too muscular or too overweight. I know as it stands so far, i have yet to reach this goal. I probably do need to take it into Z to get the definition.

I'm also concerned with the topology. There's too many poles, to be honest, i struggle to see how to get rid of these when they occur, it's like a rubix puzzle.

over all i know its still has a long way to go :/

Last edited by everlite : 05 May 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Old 05 May 2011   #4
And to continue ...

(note; each image is 1400 pixels plus - the post has resized them, but the original locations are higher res)

(edit: added extra renders)

I've since restarted this post in the 3d modelling forum, http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...423#post6997423 mod feel free to remove this thread, thanks.

Last edited by everlite : 05 May 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Old 05 May 2011   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread