Digital painting process

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #1
Digital painting process

Hi,

I am very much interested in digital painting. I started in photoshop and i am using brush to paint. some people told me to use dodge and burn tool for the digital painting .I am a bit confused wheather I should use dodge and burn ..or throuhg brush.

Regards,
Priyankar

Old 03 March 2011   #2
please help

hi,

The question is important to me so please reply i am waiting for ur suggestions.

regards,
Priyankar

Old 03 March 2011   #3
Don't use the dodge and burn tools. Specially since you say you're a begginer in photoshop. They often leave everything looking sort of metallic (highly saturated) when not used properly.
I believe there was a thread somewhere in the anatomy forums or maybe this forum about painting using these tools, if you still insist on using them.... probably somewhere in here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...25&page=1&pp=15

Old 04 April 2011   #4
Why not

Hello

Sure try using the tools, everyone does at times, but remember this is not equated to tradictional painting. In painting you would normally applied lighter or darker colors to achieve the effects, meaning you can bring in other hues into your highlights and shadows. With the photoshop tools you are only lighting or darking the current color values.
So use the tools but also practice creating your highlights and shadows with applied variants of color.

Mr. D

Old 04 April 2011   #5
Dodge and burn tools are used for photo retouchers to create an image with impact for their fashion shoots.

As for a digital painter it is very bad to use these tools. Use a custom brush with low flow % and low opacity % depending on what the tool is sued for. Typically the softer the edge in a painting the lower these ratings.

You can also use layers to work well with painting too. You have lots of tools available, just avoid the ones which are not designed for digital painter such as then photographic ones and filters.

Sketchbook

Old 04 April 2011   #6
Hey,

Just like in many thing in our industry, there is a million ways to do everything. I'd say play around with what you see, watch digital painting on youtube, and find some artist you like and ask them to show you something or work flow (easiest if you know them in person). I personally paint with the standard brushes, masking, opacity (brush and layer), and many many layers. I always paint over in a new layer or mask off so I can always go back. It also creates a " more dynamic looking picture" in my eyes. You can look at my blog to see some of my work, I'd me more than happy to try and explain in more detail my methods. I am still learning my self, but this is how I got to where I am.

Sincerely,
Wink

Old 04 April 2011   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread