Where do i start?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #1
Where do i start?

I want to do this for a hobby. If i go any where with this then so be it..I'am new to this kind of stuff

I work 12-14hrs a day, I come home shower,eat watch TV for a bit then bed. So the only time i have to draw is on the weekends.. Is this enuff to be pretty good at drawing/3d modeling like i said doing it for a hobby. which i want to be good at.

Another question where do i start? Do i just start drawing alot of circles and straight lines, or can i jump right into some DVD's like Structure of Man HD
(Complete Figure Drawing Course)
from riven phoenix? or The Techniques of Syd Mead DVD Collection

And learn from them?

Old 03 March 2011   #2
well.. first.. if you wanna be really good at it.. you need to spend at least 10 hours a week practicing your drawing, and yea.. you can start right with the riven phoenix figure drawing course... i used it and it helped me a lot, then when you become proficient at drawing the figure and the form ( by form i mean, stuff apart from the human.. like spheres and cubes cylinders.. and whatnot, so you can give a sense of 3d to your drawings )
Then and only then you get to the 3d modeling.. : )

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

Old 03 March 2011   #3
Originally Posted by jesse92: well.. first.. if you wanna be really good at it.. you need to spend at least 10 hours a week practicing your drawing, and yea.. you can start right with the riven phoenix figure drawing course... i used it and it helped me a lot, then when you become proficient at drawing the figure and the form ( by form i mean, stuff apart from the human.. like spheres and cubes cylinders.. and whatnot, so you can give a sense of 3d to your drawings )
Then and only then you get to the 3d modeling.. : )

I can do 5hrs on sat and 5hrs on Sunday.

i been doing lot of reading alot the last couple of weeks. All so order some books like:
Book Review: Figure Drawing: Design and Invention

Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement

AND

Strength Training Anatomy

Old 05 May 2011   #4
You can only get better with practice.

It doesn't matter how much time you have, as long as you practice and practice and keep going without losing that drive, you work will improve.

Having said that, the rate of growth depends on the type of practice you do, when you practice you gotta practice smart. Learn from your mistake, seek advice from forums, books and teachers (if possible).

If you're into drawing and painting you can't really shortcut the foundations such as:

1. Perspective.
2. Light and shadow.
3. Colour theory.
4. Anatomy (figure drawing).

If you 'master' all of these, it will help you tremendously with your 3D work. At the end of the day, software are just tools they change over time. Foundation however won't for a long long time.

If you need more inspiration about art, look back at artist from the past. The statue of David for example was created with a block + a few primitive tools, hammer and chisel.

I've listed a few drawing resource below:

1. Andrew Loomis collection.
2. Glen Vilppu drawing manual + dvd collection (if you have the $$$).

In terms of 3D modeling you got quiet a few choices.

1. Gnomon DVD/school (if you really have the $$$ + time).
2. Vancouver film school.
3. Digital Tutors subscription.
4. CGSociety forums.

The only downfall to all this is, there is too many choice. Just do some research into this and you'll see.

Good Luck with the future.

Old 05 May 2011   #5
thanks for this thread, really helpful.

following up on "Andrew Loomis collection"

I found this...

FREE downloadable PDF drawing books x 5

here is a link;

http://escapefromillustrationisland...tion-downloads/

Old 05 May 2011   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread