Learning to paint:From Scribbling to details

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2011   #1
Learning to paint:From Scribbling to details

Sorry about the title, it's quite hard to explain with a few words.

I'm learning to paint in photoshop and I think I grasped the basis, I'm painting landscape and I can lay in the basic colors and setting up the ligthing even if my colors are not perfectly accurate.
My problem is on the next step, detailling. I bought the massive black video from Whit Brachna on painting snow mountain.

While watching his video and in fact while watching many landscape from great artist, they seems to scribble to achieve details.
Like in this painting:

On Whit Brachna video it's even more noticeable because you can see the process.
It really seems to be random scribble, but it's not. If I scribble randomly and choose random color it will be just an incredible mess .
What I would like to know is the thinking process behing these scribbles to define the details.
And on Whit brachna video he start these really early, I specially don't really like this method, I prefer the one described by Min Yum aka bumskee, it's easier to understand it doesn't look like pure magic.

I can understand the first step of a painting, laying down the main shape and lighting, but this one, seeing the detailling poping from nowhere and just seeing scribbling is quite hard to understand, it's not even explained in his video.

Does anyone have any idea, or any clue that could help to decypher this process?
A methodology or anything reproducible?

Thank you.

Old 02 February 2011   #2
They way pros paint is more like sculpting than anything. They start big and slowly chisel out the details using light and color. If you worry about all of these little techniques and exactly how a specific artist does something, you will never stick with it. Go out and paint. I would recommend mastering the pencil first, but as long as you keep at it while using the objects/people around you, and hone your observation skills, eventually things will fall into place.

Old 02 February 2011   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread