Want to learn how to draw but where to start?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Want to learn how to draw but where to start?

Hello guys,

I'm completely new to drawing and I got quite a lot of books but I just don't know where to start. I've checked the tutorials here but there are so many of them and I am only confused where do I begin with.
I do 3d animation and I want to learn how to draw because I know that it will improve my work so I got all these books and iPad with Sketchbook Pro (and pogo stylus) to start sketching but when I got it I got stuck as I don't know how to start.

I would like to learn how to draw people in perspective and posing. Then when I'm decently comfortable it would be probably great to learn shading (correct??)

Here are the books I have:
- Drawn to Life - Walt Stanchfield
- Drawing on the right side of the brain - Betty Edwards
- Force dynamic life drawing for animators - Michael D. Mattesi
- Simplified drawing for planning animation - Wayne Gilbert

Now, I got the books but still don't know which one to start with.

Some people said to copy stuff like apple or cube, some said life drawing classes etc.

What would be the most constructive way to learn so I can learn effectively and efficiently?

I would rather ask now and get the whole feedback than find out later that I could have learn drawing quicker and more effectively if I knew this or that.

So, what would you suggest pls?

Thank you very much

11 November 2010
Take a class. Seriously, that's the best way to learn.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Take a class. Seriously, that's the best way to learn.

class of what? life drawing or just drawing?

11 November 2010
You start from life drawing with a teacher.

11 November 2010
ok, shall i read one of the books i have or just wait till i get better and get more out of it?
thank you btw, both of you

11 November 2010
Read it, but it won't subsitute a teacher.

11 November 2010
ok, thank you

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Gloor: ok, thank you

Betty Edwards book is probably the best one to get started on the basics. I've used it and learned a lot about how to just basically look at things when you want to draw them.
Then, taking a class will benefit you even more.
Just my .02

11 November 2010
That is great, thank you. I'll start with that one then

Originally Posted by zeke2: Betty Edwards book is probably the best one to get started on the basics. I've used it and learned a lot about how to just basically look at things when you want to draw them.
Then, taking a class will benefit you even more.
Just my .02

06 June 2011
The best way to learn how to draw is to draw. Think less do more is my advice.

07 July 2011
I taught myself how to draw since i was younger. I'm able to draw anything from reference but not from thought. A small piece of advice for reference drawing would be to get all the main details down on paper as fast as you can and work your way in.

08 August 2011
Beware of some of the often repeated advice that may or may not really be helpful, depending on each individual's needs. For example, many people just tell you, "go draw from life! Sketch people in the park, on the bus, at the cafe. Draw life models," but it isn't quite that simple.

There are psychological and emotional pitfalls that most people haven't considered when they give advice like that, and I talked about it in detail here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=166&t=939978

Here's a thread that discusses how to practice and learn effectively, so you aren't wasting your time or chasing your own tail:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=166&t=655287

08 August 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread