Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

question on drawing.

hello people, im gonna start practising a lot drawing from pics and images, is this figure drawing? well any way, the thing is.. when you are drawing from a source, is it better to try to make a skeleton of the figure or just start drawing what you see? i hope to improve as much and as fast as i can since im starting school in october.

Jesse

Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

wooo more than 50 views and no replys?? okayy peoplee take your timee...

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Riperton
Unrated User

portfolio
Christopher Helmig
Berlin, Germany

See it this way: whatever technique helps you to get the picture right, is woth practicing. I found it to be helpfull to draw skeletons, to figure out the entire proportion aspect of the charakter in question. Mostly I draw thin lines, just to support my mind, then drawing anatomic trickness, then details. Then you need to polish your work. ...But, I often find myself in a situation where I skip steps here and there.

But this is a good tip, I think: If you really don't know with which posture and dynamic you will (/want) to end up with, drawing skeletons/connected lines takes away all of the details and it lets you focus on the essentials. And that means you can try out a lot, without caring about details (and having to invest time in them, which messes with your learning curve). Its a good idea to educate yourselfe on what parts your stickman could/should consist of. For e.g. a good drawn chest part, of the stickman, guides some other lines almost automatically.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Riperton
Unrated User

portfolio
Christopher Helmig
Berlin, Germany

Did this help?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Yaaa,, that helped.. also, i've had trouble with skeletons too xD, i dont really now how to make a good skeleton that will guide my drawing properly, my usual skeletons make my characters have unusual longer necks, so you just do a stick man?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
MrJuzah
Obsol33t Modeller

portfolio
Jay Lawrence
3D Generalist
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to MrJuzah
It can be a stickman, blocks, spheres or even flowing lines; the only thing that matters is that it helps you as an individual understand whats infront of you and lends itself to your pushing the drawing further.

I tend to use different approaches depending on what im drawing. I.e. for a characters model sheet i will use blocks and then draw in anatomy on top. The blocks help me because i find it easier to measure their proportions against each other.

Though if im drawing a posed character i tend to opt for flowing rough lines which go through the whole character or ovoid shapes breakin the body down into segments. Ovoids because i find it easier to connect head to torso, torso to hips this way.

Boils down to what is most fitting to your way of thinking.

p.s. A book worth looking into is Burne Hogarth : Dynamic Anatomy.
Great book that breaks down the anatomy into shapes and i personally found it to be a great help as well as reference for anatomic drawing.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
redpandafire
Know-it-All

portfolio
Chua You
Gameloft
Montreal and Laval, Canada

Drawing the skeleton / muscle is anatomy study. Which helps you get good at figure drawing. It is almost always required to have a good understanding of anatomy to figure out just what the heck is going on in a complicated figure.

It's a pain in the butt, but I'd recommend spending some months just studying part-by-part the human body and all its muscles with relation to one another. It will give you the best sense of 3D orientation and mass in a human body. For example draw the head & neck, but draw it from at least 9 equally-spaced angles until you know what goes where in 3D space.

Hope that helps, good luck!

3D Stuff: Panda's 3D Characters

Blog: http://chuayou.tumblr.com/

Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
MrJuzah
Obsol33t Modeller

portfolio
Jay Lawrence
3D Generalist
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to MrJuzah
I personally think its easier and more methodical to first break it down into approximate shapes before going for what lays beneath the skin. Reason being if someone is new to drawing and not overly confident the small gains in a single area are going to be offset by the lack of progress in the rest of the figure.

So practice drawing the rough shapes of the human form in varying forms, starting out working from reference images and as you gain confidence start creating your own poses. Of course your still free to lay another sheet of paper over it and try adding more detail without risking pieces of work which server as milestones in your learning.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Thanks everyone for the advices, i actually got the Riven Phoenix Estructure of the Man dvd Drawing lessons, im sure that'll be of tremendous help for me. : D

Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
ViCoX
Coffee.

portfolio
Juhani Karlsson
3D artist
Talvi Digital
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to ViCoX
I agree with MrJuzah. I think its really important to break the complexity down with simple primitives.
However you must draw even those primitives with correct volume and perspective!
Often when starting drawing, beginner dont really understand that hes not actually drawing anything threedimentional. Humans are not flat, they have DEPTH.
Also when drawin the human figure I have noticed that its much better to draw the skeleton with cubes, because then you must lay down the perspective correctly or it will just look wrong. Lines or cylinders don`t indicate all the axis of perspective, making it harder to read.
For example tilted head is very hard to get "right" when its in perspective and if you have just drawn line to correspond its position and angle (these are personal opininons)

Riven Phoenix tuts are ok. However its bit slow way to learn anatomy. Sure you`ll need to have rules to get things in right porpotion, but its not like Frazetta learned anatomy that way. Many ways, many artists.

anyway, learning anatomy requires huuuuge amount of practise. Have fun, hope this helps! : )

Last edited by ViCoX : 09-25-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread