practice routine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2009   #1
practice routine

Hey all. My question is as follows, I heard that some musicians have a very structured practice routine which they follow every day. Eg 5 minutes warm up, 10 minutes scales, 10 chord progressions, etc etc, or something of that sort anyway (i'm no musician ). So i was wondering if any of you guys have something similar? The reason I'm asking this is because lately I've been finding myself just sketching aimlessly without actually focusing on my weak spots.

Old 10 October 2009   #2
Yep, I've actually gotten into a quick warm-up routine that I start the day with. Take half a page in my sketchbook to draw:

1. Straight lines (varying quality, angle etc)
2. Curved lines (same variations)
3. One of the basic forms (sphere/cube/cylinder/cone), either above, along or below the horizon.
4. Decide on the direction of a lightsource and shade the form.
5. Draw a "simplified figure framework" (a la Hamm - just love "Draw head and body" as well as his Landscape/Animal books)
6. Add flesh and maybe some detail
7. Decide on a lightsource direction (opposite to the one of the form) and shade the figure

This is how I do it right now - but it's been changing over time. Just what works for me, maybe can be used for inspiration/a starting point for finding your own routine.

Usually try to do at least part of a master study during the day as well.

Best of luck with your drawing practice.

My Blogs: Pennans Vandring (with hundreds of free art lessons and resources!) and Fantasytree

Old 11 November 2009   #3
Unhappy Some thoughts came up during practice

I am a newbie to drawing, and I am into the process by self learning, refering to this amazing thread in cgtalk ( has turned out to be so valuable .. I am going through almost a life changing experience). I have started with Drawing from the Right Side of the brain and following beginner's lounge I have just started with gesture drawings. Today I was going through Andrew Loomis book "Successful drawing" and it has lot of deep insights, beginning with perspective.
I could not do much today from the free flow of gesture drawing ... getting into perspective I feel stuck within .... can someone please give me some direction.... it would be so helpful. Thanks in advance....

Old 11 November 2009   #4
Which thread have you been working through, link?

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

Old 11 November 2009   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread