Drawing Book Review - Plus a little positive comment for everyone.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2009   #1
Drawing Book Review - Plus a little positive comment for everyone.

Can any of you recommend Anatomy for the Artist ? I have a few drawing books and I don't feel the need to add anymore besides just one more. Some of the ones suggested I already own while others I've glanced though and knew they wouldn't be the one for me.

Finding the right drawing book for each person is like finding a needle in a haystack. You may have a few people who use the exact book while others that book won't do. Drawing is a old form of communication it's been around for centuries and it will be around for centuries more. Anyone can learn to draw, while some have it innate, others have to learn, and that goes for not just drawing just about anything in life.

Old 09 September 2009   #2
Yeah, Human anatomy for artists is a beautifully illustrated book. Lots of really nice photography. I own a copy and do reference it from time to time. Wouldn't include it in my 'definitely must have list' though.

A much more useful book I found was 'Human anatomy for artists':
http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy...53502633&sr=1-1

Goldfinger is very detailed and doesn't miss a thing. It's the first book I go to when I'm trying to remember a certain muscle form.

Having said that, a good, all round knowledge of anatomy comes from a range of sources - not just books.

All the best.

Old 09 September 2009   #3
Thank you for that reference. I suppose I'm going to choose between your suggestion and the one I had originally mentioned.

Old 09 September 2009   #4
If it's so critical that it has to be "just the right one", you'll probably be better off going to the mall or library and flipping through the selection to see what suits your fancy.

I've got LOTS of books, and I like 'em all for different reasons.

And then I suppliment with google image search as needed.

Old 09 September 2009   #5
Everyone has one that works best for them. I'm just asking about some suggestions and the recent suggestion from lemiere was a good choice. I understand you can go to the library and browse, I also have some of the books suggested but as we both hopefully can agree upon that a good anatomy book helps and the rest may just compliment it.

Old 10 October 2009   #6
There are two books by the same name. I've a page-flipping video of the books on my blog if you want to see what's inside.

Human Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form by Eliot Goldfinger

Human Anatomy for Artists by Andras Szunyoghy and Gyorgy Feher

Personally I prefer the book by Szunyoghy because the drawings are huge and detailed.

Old 10 October 2009   #7
That is an excellent review of both books. I've been looking into buying a book on this subject, sooner or later

Old 10 October 2009   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread