Trouble with perspective

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2008   #1
Trouble with perspective

Hi there everyone!
I just started reading Andrew Loomis' "Figure drawing for all it's worth", but i'm stucked right at the first pages, when it comes to draw the "projection plane". I'm having trouble drawing those lines (ie the parallel lines that divide the figure in 8 equivalent parts) which are supposed to be equidistant. I don't really know how much distance is decreased by perspective, because i really never worried about that.

Any suggestion? Are there free resources about perspective basics?

Thanks,

Cheers!

Old 08 August 2008   #2
Projection plane

Hello

A projection plane is in drawing about like in 3d, it is a Orthographic Plane, mean no depth so there is no perspective. It is as if you could flatten a person down to a single plane, those would be the distances on average.
Even a photo if you took it from waste level of a person facing directly towards you would show perspective distortion, as it is Perspective or 3D space.

If you are having problems with maintaining ratio suggest web search on foreshortening, or perhaps trying Amazon or such sites for books on foreshortening.

Mr. D

Old 08 August 2008   #3
Don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but from what you've said I think you're having trouble with distance.

Simple way of sorting it is with use of Orthogonals (receding lines) a horizon and a vanishing point, as below.

Old 09 September 2008   #4
The Loomis book "Successful Drawing" covers the fundamentals of perspective.
I have found it at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10338/And...cessful-Drawing

Old 09 September 2008   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread