Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
DjSneeze
Veteran
portfolio
Victor Gaza
Home CG Design
Timisoara, Romania

Drawing/anatomy dilemas of a 3d modeler, help please

After serching here and there for the past 45 minutes I still have no idea where to start and what to start with )
I'm not lazy or anything like that but just couldn't find the info I need on the forum although I am sure that others might have asked the same thing over and over again, my gratest apologies if so.

My main concern is that I want to learn how to draw human anatomy so I can model better but I have no idea where to begin ... I would like to be able to throw my ideas on a piece of paper and then import them and go with 3d from there but on the other hand I don't want to be an expert in drawing, making realistic humans and so on ... that would just take to much time and I doubt it would be that usefull for a 3d modeler.

In any case, if you could please enlighten me on what to start with ... if you know a good book I could order of amazon or something like that would be awesome aswell. A book that would start with body proportions, and some drawing over skeletons would be wonderfull.
Either way please help out and I am very sorry if this had been asked over and over agian.

Besti wishes,
Vick.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Hey Vick,

I'm not a 3D modeler, but I can tell you that I think there aren't many shortcuts for learning the figure properly. As a 3D person, drawing and sculpting traditionally will be of great benefit to you, so I would recommend taking some classes in life drawing (drawing from a nude model) and / or sculpting.

There are basically 3-4 methods of learning to draw the figure:

1. Drawing from life
2. Drawing from master works (doing master copies)
3. Drawing anatomy studies
4. Drawing from plaster casts or from sculptures

All of these exercises are really necessary to understand the figure, and it's not a short term task. For organizing your studies, I suggest taking a class, as most of us are far more likely to produce a greater volume of work in a short space of time when we have to.

The process of drawing is a cerebral one where you are learning how to break down and analyze form. I would suggest picking up the DVD of Glenn Vilppu, on Gesture Drawing. More than rendering surface features, drawing is about figuring out how to construct the figure on the page. This mental process of analysis is what makes it easier for traditional artists with figurative experience to transition into modeling than for someone without drawing, painting, or sculpting experience.

Hope this helps.

You are more than welcome to start a sketchbook (2D and/or 3D) here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads

I really recommend checking out Anandpg's thread here.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
DjSneeze
Veteran
portfolio
Victor Gaza
Home CG Design
Timisoara, Romania

Yes, of course it helps ... thanks so much the info
Unfortunately right now I can\t afford courses plus it's my college examination period ... and I have sooo many exams for about one more month :-<

Do you happen to know any good anatomy studies book for starters ? One I can take with me somewhere I don't have a pc ? It would be nice if it also had some tips on building the anatomy on a stick figure type skeleton but what do I know )

Hope I don't sound ungratefull but I really can't afford courses right now so something I could do alone at home for a while until I get some private tutoring would be awesome.

Thank you so much again for answering my retarded questions )
God bless,
Vick.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Hey, you're welcome. Sure, I can understand being a student and on a budget. Here's Glenn's Drawing Manual which I really recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Vilppu-Drawin...n/dp/1892053039

It breaks down how to build figures from simple shapes like spheres and cylinders. He's really one of the best out there for explaining figure construction.

I suggest doing studies from his book from start to finish. You can additionally find info. on his work via Google.

There is also an Anatomy Books thread here, on which his book is listed.

Cheers,

-R

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
flatulentFuzz
Watermelon in easter hay

portfolio
Samuel Ribeiro
Mumbai, India

Although Ive always been good at sketching and drawing,I never really had too much practice with proportions and anatomy.

So I decided to take a one month sketching class,and honestly,one of the best ways to learn is to start with primitive shapes,blocking out the various limbs/appendages.
Just have a magazine or a lot of photos with different poses in front of you for reference.

Dont copy,start with your line of action,draw a line indicating arms and legs and then draw boxes for arms,legs,ribcage and pelvis.

Once youre ok with boxes,try using boxes for the joints and cylinders for the bulk of the arm/leg.

When youve got the basic proportions using boxes...and you need to practice a lot,then move onto drawing without boxes.Just lightly block in shapes,and then refine them.
After you can confidently draw a not too detailed human in different poses,get yourself a good anatomy book because itll help.

I briefly read 'Sarah Simblet's Anatomy for the Artist' which my cousin loaned me,and its very informative and will really help you with your sketching skills.
It is a good book,but has a bit too much for someone just requiring anatomy for sketching...at least thats what I though

Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
DjSneeze
Veteran
portfolio
Victor Gaza
Home CG Design
Timisoara, Romania

uh so very sorry ... I totally forgot to post again ...

it's not that I actually forgot about the thread itslef but college exams are absolutely draining me ...
I ordered 2 anatomy books from amazon, Drawing the Head and Figure - Jack Hamm and Drawing Cutting Edge Anatomy - The ultimate reference for Comic Book artists ...

I've read so many positive reviews about jack hamm being incredibly good for beginers I just had to give it a try and the price was very good... as for the one on anatomy for comic books, well it's more of a fuss/wish that I learnt that aswell ...

I want to be able to put my concepts on paper and have to admit it that I think comic-book ish so in the long run it might turn out usefull.
I'll start drawing when they get here, eventhough they will arive about 11th of july ... crazy slow America - Romania UPS ... well it's worth it anyway

What do you guys think ? Have I made a good choice ? (any by guys I mean everyone, not excluding any female gurus which I highly admire )

Old 06-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSneeze
I've read so many positive reviews about jack hamm being incredibly good for beginers I just had to give it a try and the price was very good... as for the one on anatomy for comic books, well it's more of a fuss/wish that I learnt that aswell ...

What do you guys think ? Have I made a good choice ? (any by guys I mean everyone, not excluding any female gurus which I highly admire )
No worries, everyone gets busy , good luck with your exams. I think any book is great so long as you use it / apply it - Hamm is well known and I think if you try the exercises they will definitely help you out - good luck!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread