In the recent past, I've tried to make 3-D models of humans from photographs. Orthographic references have been hard to find, so I've tried these steps-
- Downloaded/scanned/photographed one picture, no two, no more
- Looked at each closely, for a long time
- Tried duplicating these photos in sketches- shading occasionally ignored
- Tried sketching from memory, then
- Tried imagining new poses, and sketching, to get different angles
- Finally sketched some blueprints, which looked a lot less than perfect- so I started Step 1 again.
Another option was to use a near-perfect front view photo directly, then morph it to fit a side view diagram (or morph the side view diagram if I find the front view perfect). If you've done this before, what do you suggest?