Evolution in Drawing Technique: Question open to All

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2008
Talking Evolution in Drawing Technique: Question open to All

Hi,

I've been drawing quite a while now, and for the most part i tend to look at either photos or other people artwork and basically can reproduce it quite closely. However when it comes to producing my own drawing i tend to struggle - quite a problem when you wanna draw up say your own comic strip or concept art. So i just wanted to ask people how they've developed themselves to the point where they can basically draw without need for too much reference - or say where reference is scarce for the subject matter? So how have you developed yourself as an artist basically? This information may somehow give myself and other insight into whether they're going about improving their ability and technique in a right way - or even open their eyes to new paths they may choose to explore in developing their art.

01 January 2008
Basically, you need more mileage... one will be able to draw a subject only from imagination if one truly knows his/her subject.

Try with a simple object... observe it and draw it as you see it, from all possible angles.
Then when you feel you know your subject, put it out of sight and now draw it from imagination, again from all possible angles. If you have to peek at your first sketches or your subject, it means you don't really know it yet. The one solution is to get to know it better and retry... until you do know it well enough.

Ofcourse, there are millions of possible subjects, the human form being one of the most complex ones... should keep you going for a while

01 January 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread